Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: My dog died tonight

PBBPaul

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

My baby girl who I adopted in 1989 died from heart failure in Feb of 2001. That was TOUGH... I balled my eyes out. :cry: I think of her often.

I hope you and your family feel better soon.

God Bless

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Like the old song 'Beau Jangles' ... "He spoke in tears of fifteen years how his dog and him, traveled about.... etc. "After twenty years he still grieves." It's been 20 years since I had to put my dog down and I still think of him often. My best to you and your family. At least you had the opportunity to know and love him.

That's the good part...

Billy

Aah, sorry Paul. That's tough. Pets become such a loved family member and their lives are so short in human years.

Give yourself some time for mourning.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Man, that's tough. Sorry. I had to have one put down a year ago last April. She was with us for 13 years. I have one now that's 14 years old, I know he's not going to be around a whole lot longer. They get to be such an integral part of your family...it's amazing the impact it can have when you lose them. Even my other dogs visibly grieved.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Yup, it takes a while to get over. Sorry about the loss

I was not even the owner of this dog, Sydney the RED-NOSE PITBULL, but kinda of like a godparent AND IT BUMMED ME OUT FOR A YEAR WHEN SHE DIED (caps mistake, sorry)

That's really sad: I am really sorry for you.

I had nothing but cats, but whenever lost one of them it was a tragedy and felt really upset for weeks.

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Man. I am so sorry! I know what that feels like for sure. Just think about all the good times together and remember that Roger was a true friend and an enrichment to your life. God bless, Roger!
Wang

Thank you all. It was time. We had been talking about having him put down this week. Roger was a wonderful dog though. I had him trained so well that we never had to use a leash. Even in crowds or among other dogs; He always walked at heel. He was a wonderful watchdog and family member for my children.

Fittingly, it's pouring rain here today and I get to go dig a grave.

Your buddy Roger had a real been-around-the-block Robert Mitchum kind of face, and I do mean that as a compliment, Paul! He musta been a good friend, indeed.

I've had (and currently do have) some very good friends of the four-legged variety; their friendship is to be honored and cherished, their passing lamented. Dogs can be better people than a lot of "people"!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My condolences Paul. It is always tough to lose a great and true friend.

Treasure his memory and be sure to get another good friend as soon as you can. It's amazing how a new dog can help with the loss of an old friend.

(By Fred Eaglesmith)

He's a good dog.

I've had him for years.

He used to get up when I'd walk by.

Now he just lifts up his ears,

And he thumps his tail on the floor

When I talk to him.

When I talk too long, he just ignores me,

And he goes to sleep again.

He's a good dog.

I got him as a pup.

I tried to teach him all the tricks,

Then I just gave up

'Cause he never acted very bright,

Though his eyes they've got this glow,

And I think he actually knows some things

That actually I don't.

And he never barks at strangers,

And he never barks at cars,

And he howls at the coyotes

While they're howling at the stars,

And he scratches at the back door

Till someone lets him in,

Then he scratches at the other side

'Cause he wants back out again.

He's a good dog,

But one of these days

I'm gonna have to drive him into town,

And have him put away

'Cause he don't hear that good no more

And he can't hardly walk,

But until then I look at him

And I say to him

He's a good dog.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Dak Lander:

My condolences Paul. It is always tough to lose a great and true friend.

Treasure his memory and be sure to get another good friend as soon as you can. It's amazing how a new dog can help with the loss of an old friend.

Dak!

How the hell are you? I've been hearing some not-so-good rumors.

We already have another lab. He's been moping around all morning too.

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Dak!

Paul, I'm doing ok. Had to go back onto a chemo regimen 'cause the Myeloma started showing signs of a return. We felt it was better to try knock it down again in hurry, while not too pervasive, and go from there. There are a few other problems associated with the treatments but that's because I've been on the cutting edge of the technology and we're finding that things that help control the Myeloma inhibit other things so it's kind of a catch 22. By and large, I'm doing OK. I don't post too much here, not enough time, but I try to slide by now and again and read some of the posts.

As far as the pup goes; It's good he's there for you and vice-versa. He will miss his old friend too. When we had to put Charlie down a few years ago the pup we had, Zoe, was pretty sad too. Shucks, so were the cats beieve it or not. Anyway, my wife and daughter got me Otis, my Aussie, purportedly to help me but in reality, to help Zoe. ;)

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your lab. I've had a dog in the family pretty much my entire life (we currently have three), and so I know what you all are going through. :cry:
John

Dak!

Paul, I'm doing ok. Had to go back onto a chemo regimen 'cause the Myeloma started showing signs of a return. We felt it was better to try knock it down again in hurry, while not too pervasive, and go from there. There are a few other problems associated with the treatments but that's because I've been on the cutting edge of the technology and we're finding that things that help control the Myeloma inhibit other things so it's kind of a catch 22. By and large, I'm doing OK. I don't post too much here, not enough time, but I try to slide by now and again and read some of the posts.

As far as the pup goes; It's good he's there for you and vice-versa. He will miss his old friend too. When we had to put Charlie down a few years ago the pup we had, Zoe, was pretty sad too. Shucks, so were the cats beieve it or not. Anyway, my wife and daughter got me Otis, my Aussie, purportedly to help me but in reality, to help Zoe. ;)

I'm really sorry to hear about the chemo. I didn't know about the myeloma at all. I don't get here too much these days either. Keep your heart up. I'll be praying for your total recovery. If there's anything I can do from the Midwest here, let me know.

We buried Roger in the back yard a couple of hours ago during a break in the rain. We're planning a garden over his grave.

My most sincere condolences. Someone who doesn't have a pet usually doesn't understand the bond between the human and animal members of a family. I was just sitting with my cat Tyler (yes, my name is Steve and I named her after the lead singer of Aerosmith so, when we're together, we're Steve 'n' Tyler) and thinking about how long she's been a part of my wife's and my life together. Tyler was around before my kids were. For almost 16 years she has been a part of our family and, while she's healthy and like a kitten in many ways, there's no denying that she's no spring chicken. It makes you realize that you have to treasure the family you keep in your life, whether they walk on two legs or four (or swim, or fly, or crawl).

Wow, so sorry to hear that, Paul.

We are about to start heartworm treatments for Taylor. She's 9 years old and doing well, but apparently we've caught them early. I have to have Melon checked out, too. And it's been some years since we lost a cat, but with two over 13, two 12 year olds, and a 10 year old, they could be around a year or ten. Fortunately, all but the 10 year old seem to be in good health. But I wonder, sometimes, how much time they have left.

Our animals may not be Lilly, but they are still children of a sort. They love us unconditionally and depend on us.

I hope you find this appropriate. I saw Jimmy Stewart read his poem on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson:

........................................."Beau"

......................................by Jimmy Stewart

He never came to me when I would call

Unless I had a tennis ball,

Or he felt like it,

But mostly he didn't come at all.

When he was young

He never learned to heel

Or sit or stay,

He did things his way.

Discipline was not his bag

But when you were with him things sure didn't drag.

He'd dig up a rosebush just to spite me,

And when I'd grab him, he'd turn and bite me.

He bit lots of folks from day to day,

The delivery boy was his favorite prey.

The gas man wouldn't read our meter,

He said we owned a real man-eater.

He set the house on fire

But the story's long to tell.

Suffice it to say that he survived

And the house survived as well.

On the evening walks, and Gloria took him,

He was always first out the door.

The Old One and I brought up the rear

Because our bones were sore.

He would charge up the street with Mom hanging on,

What a beautiful pair they were!

And if it was still light and the tourists were out,

They created a bit of a stir.

But every once in a while, he would stop in his tracks

And with a frown on his face look around.

It was just to make sure that the Old One was there

And would follow him where he was bound.

We are early-to-bedders at our house--

I guess I'm the first to retire.

And as I'd leave the room he'd look at me

And get up from his place by the fire.

He knew where the tennis balls were upstairs,

And I'd give him one for a while.

He would push it under the bed with his nose

And I'd fish it out with a smile.

And before very long

He'd tire of the ball

And be asleep in his corner

In no time at all.

And there were nights when I'd feel him

Climb upon our bed

And lie between us,

And I'd pat his head.

And there were nights when I'd feel this stare

And I'd wake up and he'd be sitting there

And I reach out my hand and stroke his hair.

And sometimes I'd feel him sigh

and I think I know the reason why.

He would wake up at night

And he would have this fear

Of the dark, of life, of lots of things,

And he'd be glad to have me near.

And now he's dead.

And there are nights when I think I feel him

Climb upon our bed and lie between us,

And I pat his head.

And there are nights when I think

I feel that stare

And I reach out my hand to stroke his hair,

But he's not there.

Oh, how I wish that wasn't so,

I'll always love a dog named Beau.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Sorry to hear about your loss Paul. My wife and I rescue dogs after other people have abused them, so even though your loss is a great one, you should celebrate the success of having a wonderful family member for 13 years. Give another one a great home and continue the celebration. My condolences.

Paul

Sorry to say I`ve been there, I lost an angel in white of a dog to a car accident, and another due to moving. I have issues about it to this day but I try to be happy with the animals I meet. That`s the best medicine I think. All condolences to you.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Dak!

Dak

Just wanted to put in a hello and good wishes. I have an uncle who`s not doing well, he`s a musician as well. We`ve partied and jammed together. His prognosis is not good but I`ll probably fly out to Minnesota in august, to show my support and advise him to kick ass on the illness B.S. I`ll be sure to send a positive wave across the state line too.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived