Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mini Stage Disasters:

Dr. Ellwood

Had any? I had my latest one at last nights gig. I took my brown Fender stack to the gig last night, well because it's a non-reverb amp I also used the Lexicon MPX-100 reverb and a Furman power conditioner 19 in. rack NOT in a road case! yet and set it on top of the stack! WELL half way through they both rattled off the top and went crashing toward the stage and was hanging by the lead connecting the MPX100 to the power strip pulled out the power supply and was a mess! The drummer and bass player thought it was a riot..I didn't! anyway there have been a few disasters for me like a Marshall Major stack falling over, monitors falling off the edge of a stage, lighting truss falling on one side of the stage, etc...any disasters you would like to share? :D:thu:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man. Hundreds...

We had a dolt spill beer into our light controller boxes and blow a bunch of the parts.

My mic still has dents in it, from all the times it was knocked over (And need I mention "Mic Mouth!!!")

One of my favourites though,

Our bass player (Who I hated) bumped a screw driver off the top of the stack and into an open toolbox, behind the stack. It pierced a can of WD-40. The subsequent spray shot up from the tool box and directly into his eyes. He ran from the stage and into the bathroom.

Sometimes, I feel as though I caused it to happen through telekinetics. :D

Originally posted by HardTail:

And I was going to PM you and ask you how last night's gig went.

Yeah! all was well untill that ..hit the A/B and went over on the Marshall fast LOL!! I KNEW that could happen but my two rack space travel case isn't here yet and OH WELL.. anyways I brought the Fender home last night and it's not going back untill that gets all cleared up...and by the way my idea (PBPaul's actually) of mounting these effects in the back of the amp or the extension won't work because the effects are too deep and crash into the big 15 inch speakers!! too bad cuz it was a great idea!!

Remember this thread?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/19/t/014055

Another disaster:

We were playing in an extremely cramped corner of a bar.

All of the equipment, including power strips, erc.. was instantly accessible. because of the crampedness

Anyway, the keyboardist and i had to share the same power strip, so it was between us w/one outlet still freed up(believe it or not)

I popped a string (unusual for gigs, but I must've not changed 'em out) so I tossed it as usual and went for the insty switch.

The problem was that when I tossed it, the string end went completely inside the power strip outlet, and there was smoke, and the entire string turned this bright, bright orange.

I shut the power strip down right away, and i forget what else happened, but we made it through somehow

HELL one night I was running mt bass amp in the same outlet as the a/c and only one outlet was working so I pull out the a/c and the room got hot as hell we went the rest of the night with no bass when everyone figure out what was going on
ricky payne

Pretty much the same thing happened to our bass player. His bass cab rolled off the stage and fell off backwards, facing towards the back of the place (parking lot). His head (a really nice Ampeg head) was in a road case on the cab and had obviously landed on the floor. Everything was still connected so everything kept sounding. He had to take a break while we kept playing the song, a few peeps helped him get the cab back onstage and we finished the song. I was laughing my ass off.

When it happened I looked back wondering what it was. I had noticed the drop in stage volume (he was also hooked up w/ a DI to the house PA) but saw nothing weird, since this place has a fairly high stage and a curtain on the back. Then I noticed the head standing on its on its side on the floor and Joe looking perplexed towards the back. Suddenly, I remembered they had agreed to use the cab anyways (inspite of the DI business). I started laughing while playing--I think I almost had to throw myself to the floor.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

It was suppose to stop happening at some point! A few shows back we were playing a coffee house gig. Had my chorus on top of the amp, looped through the handle. Should be fine. I n the middle of the third or fourth song, no bass! I thought it was a power issue (that is what it is most of the time, kicked out power strip). Really wasn't that big of a deal. Just happened during a favorite song of mine.

The best was in the basement of a church. Hot, humid, water condensing on the floor, I didn't know that yet. End of a song the guitar player and I looked at each other, both knew what the other was thinking (Stage jump about three feet to the floor). I played in bare feet back then and when I landed in the wet on the concrete floor I slipped. The bass hit the ground dead on the last note and it was loud! I jumped up so fast most people didn't even see it! Man my butt hurt!

The strap came off my Antoria Black Beauty & it dropped & broke ALL SIX strings. Ended up playing a double neck & it was so top heavy my left shoulder was frozen for days afterward.

Dropped my pick & when I stood up I caught the corner of the piano just on the temple beside my eye. Knocked myself out.

Had a fight on stage & ended up jumping on the drummer's back. Crowd loved it!!

Spilled a pint of Guinness into the back of a Selmer Valve amp. It didn't work after that!

:D

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I spilled many many beers over the years.. My Peavey's were coated with a thin layer of dried stale beer.

I tripped on a cord and fell down once. Musta been hilarious..

You know I was friends with this band from East Lansing featuring Bob Guinea on vocals (the guy from the Bachelor). They were called Fat Amy.

Anyways, they used to all put gold bond on thier nuts before they went on stage, to INSURE stage presence. They got other bands they were playing with to do it too, apparently it works. I wouldn't do it, but it makes you KEEP ON MOVIN!! I am kind of a bull in a china shop so I would be knocking over cymbals and shit if I did it.

Pretty hilarious though. My friend Brad was the drummer, talk about a goofball..

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

.....I played in bare feet back then and when I landed in the wet on the concrete floor.....

I was afraid this was going to be a shocking story (electrocution type shocking that is). :eek:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Anyways, they used to all put gold bond on thier nuts before they went on stage, to INSURE stage presence. They got other bands they were playing with to do it too, apparently it works. I wouldn't do it, but it makes you KEEP ON MOVIN!! I am kind of a bull in a china shop so I would be knocking over cymbals and shit if I did it.

So tell the folks on the other side of The Pond whet 'Gold Bond' is?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Geoff

Ditto

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Geoff

Ditto
It is a very spicy foot powder. It might sting a little on the jewels.
Wang

I have never used it but I think it 'turns up the heat' so to speak!!

Like Ben gay or something?

Actually, the guys in Fat Amy SWORE by it!! They said after they started 'bonding' that their stage presence became amazing.

It is pretty funny shit!! Thier singer went on to be on the bachelor and wrote a book that Opra endorsed.. Bob is a class act and a funny guy. Though, I wasn't that into thier songwriting, live they always sounded perfect. They had thier own soundguy that did every show for them. The guitarist was excellent too.

Friday night in San Antonio, my tuner acted up on me and mid-song I had NO sound. It started w/ a crackling, I have no clue what the heck happened there. Went direct into the DI, problem solved. The problem may have been their own cable (the venue's) I had running from my tuner's output to the DI, though. Haven't tried it again, but I should do it tonight.

Not a disaster, but it was pretty obvious and I was terribly embarrassed.

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by ellwood:

See there MILLO that's why I have my tuner out of the path...it's on the A/B switch one to the rig and one to the tuner ... takes it right out and no worries about having it in line at all even if it get messed up! one click and your on the tuner one click and your back on the rig!

Well, this thing is true-bypass and it's supposed to let the signal go through even when not connected--and IT DOES (when working correctly)! When it works, anyways... It was still reading pitches when I truned it on, though.

That's why I don't think it was the tuner. I haven't tried it again, but... If it was it, it must have been that the output jack got unsoldered or something stupid like that--but I didn't notice it wigglin'.

Yeah, I need to check it. However, from now on I'll bring my A/B switch like you suggested. Anyhow, if I buy another one it'll the Boss, and w/ that I'll NEED the A/B switch anyways. :thu: This thing was so friggin' expensive it's ridiculous.

My MySpace Space

Just use it for reverb? Great.

Yeah, just bought a cheap used Carvin fx rack unit to use in the loop of my amp, just because of the whole echo-after-distortion deal. VERY CHEAP, just to experiment. I have a Mr Echo pedal that I think sounds great, but again, that thing is not supposed to go in the loop, and if it does, it shouldn't be switched since it pops (since it's not the right level and it's true-bypass). Funny, w/ shipping it's gonna be like $10-15 less than the SIB! pedal.

My MySpace Space

Can't remember if I've told this one, but once we had to play a gig outside town and one of the cars rolled over somehow so the drummer and the trumpet player were really late.

When they got there, it turned out that the shock had wiped the memories of two synths. Oh, and the keyboard player (my then girlfriend) had caught her hand in a car door in an unrelated incident and it was starting to swell up.

So I had to give her aspirins and a lot to drink and bandaged her hand with gaffa tape (hey, it seemed lika a good idea at the time) and reprogrammed the patches we'd need on the synths.

We were a bit late starting but it was a great gig anyway! :D

Originally posted by MILLO:

Friday night in San Antonio, my tuner acted up on me and mid-song I had NO sound. It started w/ a crackling, I have no clue what the heck happened there. Went direct into the DI, problem solved. The problem may have been their own cable (the venue's) I had running from my tuner's output to the DI, though. Haven't tried it again, but I should do it tonight.

Not a disaster, but it was pretty obvious and I was terribly embarrassed.

I run a cable from my line out to the tuner. All I have to do is put it on standby to tune in silence.
Wang

Originally posted by Pappy P:

Hey Ellwood. WHat does a power conditioner do?

It has a filter circut in it that filters standing wave line problems like static on the line/ground gives a clean signal to the effects that it powers it isolates the effect from the power source and insures good grounding. It does not compensate for low line voltage but it does knock down excessive spikes.

Archived