Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Line out questions

Jersey Jack

These may well seem like baby questions, but I want to confirm some things about "line out" jacks.

Because some amps have "external speaker" jacks distinct from "line out" jacks, I assume that the difference is that the line out jacks are not powered. But then:

1. Can one connect one amp's line out to another amp's main input jack? The purpose of this would be to unite the first amp's tone with the second amp's power.

2. This is a variant on the first question: The line out jack can connect to a mixer, right? This would bring the amp sound directly into a PA system. If this can be done, why do so many people speak of miking a guitar amp? Is it that the amp's speakers contribute so much to the tone that by-passing the speakers in order to plug directly into the PA would degrade the sound?

3. For recording purposes, is there a significant difference between the line out signal and the signal generated by a direct box? Would one need to plug the line out into a direct box and then into the computer sound card, or can the line out go directly to the sound card?

Thanks for your patience. I'm an old musician but new to much of this stuff from the guitar side.

Jersey Jack

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Yes. Just turn down the input gain on the second amp, as the line out level is hotter than normal guitar level.

2. Yes. Miking a cab also gets you the tone of the speaker/cabinet combination. Going straigt into the mixer using line out will only get you the tone of the amp.

3. A direct box is just your guitar tone.

A line out from the amp is you guitar tone AND the amp tone.

A miked cabinet gets you the guitar tone and the amp tone and the cabinet tone all mixed together.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

1. yea

2. yes. totally correct. yup.

3. in the context of useing a line out into a DI Box, no. yes. That would work too.

Dude you totally know what your talking about.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Just to clarify miroslav's genius, the line out is normally emulated, meaning it is supposedly what the guitar would sound like if going out of the amp (or in the case of the marshall i have at the mo its emulated to sound like its going through a 4x12 speaker cab)

I have a Behringer V-Ampire and I was confused about all those line outs in the back too. It's not all cleared up yet, as it has tons of output jacks, but it clears up the brunt of it :) And, mine emulates a speaker cab too (lee83).

Originally posted by lee83:

Just to clarify miroslav's genius, the line out is normally emulated, meaning it is supposedly what the guitar would sound like if going out of the amp (or in the case of the marshall i have at the mo its emulated to sound like its going through a 4x12 speaker cab)

Well...right, normally it's not the straight signal out of the power amp going to the line out.

But..it's still ain't the tone of a true speaker/cabinet combination working with the amp.

Originally posted by Starcaster:

I have a Behringer V-Ampire and I was confused about all those line outs in the back too. It's not all cleared up yet, as it has tons of output jacks, but it clears up the brunt of it :) And, mine emulates a speaker cab too (lee83).

If it's like the pod pro then you can take a line out from the Behr. into the power amp of your amp, this way the Behr acts as the pre-amp and all your amp is doing is passing this through the power amp section, giving you a lot more tone control.
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Originally posted by lee83:

Actually, this is only true in certain circumstances.

Most line outs on guitar amps, other than those with modelling, do not have speaker emulation. They are designed for a variety of purposes, many of which are not consistant with emulation. For example, many line outputs on guitar amps are half normalled. That is, you can output signal without interupting the normal signal path to your power amp and speaker. However, this same output is often part of an effects loop. Plug in to the effects return and it cuts direct signal across these two jacks. The signal must travel to your effects device before returning to the internal reverb and power amp.

But where Lee is correct is on some modern amps with line outputs specifically designed for direct connection to live or recording mixers. Some of these amps (and probably all modelling amplifiers) have speaker emulation either programmable, switchable, or always on those outputs. Still, speaker emulation on its' own is often a poor substitution for a properly mic'd cabinet. It is, however, far more convenient.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Junior 1:

Can you line out from a solid state amp,(Behringer GX210), to a tube amp,(Valve Junior)?

Would you want to?

depends what you have for inputs on the back, my Fender Pro Chorus has a 'power amp in' where I plug the Pod, also has a pre-amp out for recording.
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Originally posted by spiral light:

Originally posted by miroslav:

b. Why would you want to? ;)

A range of tones versus the one fender sound??
So...play through the SS amp and get all the tones you can...

...then play through the tube amp and get all the tones you can.

I just don't think you will be enhancing, improving or expanding you tonal options by going from the line out of the SS to the tube amp.

And not to sound too critical...I think sometimes people get carried away with the whole "more is better" mentality...like the guys that need 10 stomp boxes daisy chained in order to get "their" sound...

...and what comes out is nothing special, and often too "processed" as far as what I would consider a good guitar sound.

But then...playing for well over 30 years now...I've almost never used anything except a guitar and a tube amp for my tone...

...and the thing is...I can get quite a lot of different tones just by how I play and how I tweak the guitar's and amp's knobs.

But hey...you wanna run the line out from the SS into the tube amp?

Go for it! :thu:

Though I doubt it will yield anything unique...not to mention the fact that I think the little Epi VJ has better tones than anything youll get from the Behringerbut thats just my own very biased opinionespecially since I bought a second one cuz I loved the first one so much! :cool:

Archived