Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DiD I buy the wrong type guitar

superdave

I had a guy tell me that the Squire Strat was not a good choice for a beginner guitar. He said something along the lines of it having jumbo frets and a long scale that would make it difficult to play. I have small hands for a guy and then the short ring finger on my fret hand so, in light of that, is there any truth to what he said about the Strat? I really wanted a guitar along the lines of a Gibson Les Paul (knock off brand) but I was trying to keep the cost down and the Strat pack seemed like the way to go. I've been playing the Strat for about five weeks now. The one thing that I don't like about the Strat is the curved fret board because I have problems making barre chords still.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say no. A strat of any type is a fine guitar to learn on. The neck is much different from a Les Paul neck, and if you really wanted to get a Les Paul at some point, it may be beneficial to learn on one. Epiphone make some way cheap bolt on neck Les Paul models. You can likely find a 'players pack' that comes complete with an amp and gig bag also.

http://www.columbiaguitaracademy.com/epiphone_lp_junior_special.jpg

these Epiphone Les Paul Jr's are available from Musiciansfriend.com for $99

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I'd say he was smoking crack. Let's see: "Learn on the easiest guitar you can find so that you can never play one that has higher action and bigger frets." I usually tell dudes to learn on an acoustic. It makes playing an electric so much easier...

I learned on a El Degas LP copy with a set of acoustic strings on it. I obviously didn't have alot of direction to help me learn.

When I figured out that I was using the wrong strings, my fingers were way strong! I wouldn't recommend doing this at all, but when I threw a set of 9's on there, you can imagine the smile on my face!

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Squire's are great to start on... Gotta second what Xplorer and Warthog said - it's definitely not going to kill you but make you that much stronger as you learn. :thu:
Go that way really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn.

Thanks guys for the info. I hope I didn't come across like a doofuss it's just that I've been getting so many different opinions from people such as... hey dude you should swap over and play left hand(yuk), wrong guitar, drop guitar and learn keybords or the one that really iritates me is...I don't think you'll be able to play guitar!!

Geez that one was a real buzzkill for the ole confidence. But I'm practicing and making progress and starting to learn the ins and outs of my Strat. I just wanted some reasurrance that I hadn't started off on the wrong note (humor).

<>

No, the Strat should be just fine. After a year with a truly cheezy Japanese hunk o junk I got a used Strat when I was about 16, so it was really the axe I learned on, & it was great. Learning fingerpicking on that narrow neck has made it much easier to transition to the jazz guitars I use now.

That said, if you feel like you just can't get comfortable with the Strat neck, you should try some of the Gibson-style guitars, like the Epiphone Les Paul Juniors, to see if you have a better fit with a wider flatter fingerboard.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Actually, the curved fingerboard should make playing barre chords much easier. As for scale length it can make a small difference but shouldn't affect you in the long run. If you keep playing over a few years you will probbaly try many guitars till you decide which type of guitar you really like playing. For now a Squire is a great choice to learn on. Don't at this early stage in your development try and blame your equipment, just keep practicing on the fundementals and worry about the gear later.

I bought my son a Squire Affinity Strat 4 years ago. It's been to college the last 2 years and has gigged many times! It looks like a relic and still stays in tune. I have small hands too and the Squire is easier to play than my MIM Strat! I bought an Squire Affinity Tele a few months ago and love it. Just keep practicing and have fun.

Originally posted by superdave:

Thanks guys for the info. I hope I didn't come across like a doofuss it's just that I've been getting so many different opinions from people such as... hey dude you should swap over and play left hand(yuk), wrong guitar, drop guitar and learn keybords or the one that really iritates me is...I don't think you'll be able to play guitar!!

Geez that one was a real buzzkill for the ole confidence. But I'm practicing and making progress and starting to learn the ins and outs of my Strat. I just wanted some reasurrance that I hadn't started off on the wrong note (humor).

Most of us have been, are doofusses about things sometimes! Good to see that you are willing to find out for yourself. Stick with the barre chords, You'll get it!

the one that really iritates me is...I don't think you'll be able to play guitar!!

Hey I rememer that one! As a beginner I wasn't taking easily to chord strumming songs.

Of course that poor SOB who told me he didn't think I'd be able to learn to play was very soon left in the dust with no chance of catching up as I blazed past him in the guitar playing abilities dept.

I'm sure you'll be able to do the same for your friend. :D

And you're smart to be checking with the guys on here who know what they're talking about - learning on a Squire should be no problem at all - you didn't buy the wrong type guitar. :thu:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I had a guy tell me that the Squire Strat was not a good choice for a beginner guitar. He said something along the lines of it having jumbo frets

Gee, I find jumbos easier to fret on. Hmmmm. Maybe he was thinking you'd try putting too much pressure on the strings as a beginner. I wouldn't worry about it. You'll relax more the more you play. (or should anyway)

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

The more you get used to a Fender style guitar, the more alien a Gibson style guitar will feel. After years of playing Strat scale guitars, I picked up a Les Paul Standard and the neck angle made it feel broken. Even though I'm more comfortable with one now, It still seems odd and I will probably never own one.

The strange thing is, 90% of my favorite guitar tones are from Gibsons.

My point is, if you intend on someday playing a Les Paul, maybe you actually should get something as close as possible. This statement is based on feel alone, not the quality of a beginners instrument.

I agree with everyone else. A Squire Strat is a fine beginner guitar. As far as the ol "You'll never be able to play guitar" thing goes ... I heard that too. Now I get, "How did you learn to play guitar so good? Can you teach me?" so hang in there and keep practicing. You and your Squire will be just fine.
A.K.A. TRGuitar

IT depends on what sound you want to make. Strats are very versatile and can go a lot of different ways. But they are NOT Les Pauls, even with a humbucking pickup in the bridge position, so if that is the sound you are going afer, get a Les Paul.

I was frustrated for a long time, trying to get a Telecaster to sound like a Les Paul. I didn't know that was impossible when I bought the Tele, I just figured I needed the right pedal and I couldn't find it. When I got a little more info, I finally figured out that I needed a Les Paul to make the sound I wanted to. When I finally got one, it all got sooo easy.

Figure out what the guitarists you like are playing and get one of those, or something similar. Go to amusic store and tell the guy you like the sound --------(fill in the blank) gets, and how much money you have to spend. They will take you from there.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived