Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need the pros advice

ThisSiteSucks

I traded in my strat for a nice LP standard. We live on like 70 acres and spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer (Ohio). We have a shop/garage that is a "meeting" place and we always have people over. We just sit out there and talk, drink beer etc etc.

Well, I don't want to take a $2000 guitar out there and practice. So I was thinking of getting something cheap that I don't care if it gets beat to hell.

The question is this: If I get a song nailed down on the "beater" quitar (with it's own fret size, scale length, etc) will I be able to take that "feel" onto the Les Paul?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Any opinions on a beater guitar to buy?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what price range?

i would suggest several LP feeling and setup guitars that are way under the LP's price..

Agile

Yamaha AES620

Godin LGhb

Epiphone LP models

all of these are basically LP like in scale and feel as well as pickup layout.

all are low priced

but if you want something that is North American made and great in its own right check out Godin LG models on Ebay.

Welcome to the Forum.

What kind of Strat did you trade for an LP?

Who traded an LP for a Strat?

Beater advice: Well, I would suggest an inexpensive Epiphone LP Junior or other Epi model. That should match the feel of the Gibons pretty close.

Also, congratulation on a major score, I assume the value of the Fender Strat was considerable less than a $2,000 Gibson LP. Unless it was a vintage or a signature model.

Please give us more detail about that amazing trade.

here's a link to a shop that's like 2 mintues from my house.

http://www.temaguitar.net/clients/tema/details.asp?Brand=ESP&Category=Guitars&ID=17

I'm looking at $300 and under. I'm just trying to get this down...mentally. Even if I learned a song dead nuts on a strat, it seems to me that I should be able to bring that over to ANY guitar???

i didn't mean it was a beater. i had one and was dumb enough to let it go.

i was trying to suggest some that were cheap and some that were not going to make him feel like he was using a cheap guitar.

both the Godin and the Yamaha are low priced and very high quality.

my main choices would be the Godin and Yamaha.

as for bang for the buck it would be the Yamaha.

what? there is a 320?

Pappy pushing the yamaha's again! J/K

I would totally recommend the Epiphone LP Special II. I wouldn't feel bad if I abused it. It's pretty close for a LP, except the bolt on neck.

http://www.rin.is/myndir/gitarar/lpspecial2.jpg

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Ok, I didn't communicate very good. I TRADED IN the strat on the LP. It was a 2000 model, Teal, LSR roller nut, locking tuners, SSH pickup configuration.

At least 5 guys were playing it before the transaction ever took place! LOL. It was a sweet guitar, just didn't have the bottom-end I needed.

Got about 3/4 of what I paid for it and it was over 5 years old. So the LP ended up costing me about $1300. No regrets...I love the LP. I just don't want it getting messed-up in the garage, but I just hate staying inside and practicing when it's all happening outside :)

I'll stop and look at the ESP tonight...give it a test run.

Guitarzan. Sorry, I was just half-kidding. :D I don't think there is a AES320. I know, it's no Gibson LP, but I still getting used to the concept of beater guitars. I'd never heard the term before I joined in on this forum.

Hey another suggestion. Lyon/Washburn is selling some beginner guitars at Target. They have an LP model. Very very inexpensive.

Any other opinions on the "feel" thing.

Say one of you guys have a strat and a LP. You take a brand new song and learn it dead-on on the strat.

Don't you think you'll be able to pick up your LP and play it the same?

Yeah, fret size and string size are different. But isn't it the mental learning of where your fingers need to go vs. the type of guitar?

Just saw the EPI LP models...starting at $379. A bit over the intended budget, but I could get one that matched my LP as far as inlays and color! LOL

Wouldn't mind putting a dent or scratch in a $400 guitar either. That ESP is still tempting; this place is privately owned and they deal (might get the one I linked for $200).

Guess I should start where I know. I have a price range. Go out and play and get what "feels" right. Any tone issues to be handled by the Gibson :)

I have to tell you.

I most likely wouldn't play the same songs on a Strat that I would play on a LP.

I currently use a Squire Strat and the Yamaha AES620 for recording. They each give a totally different qualities to the sound.

As far playing, I find I have to warm up on whatever guitar I switching too. So I have to run through a song about twice on the new guitar before I feel comfortable.

As far as I know, you can run into this same phenomenon on Two Guitars of the same make and model.

Originally posted by Rootstonian:

Say one of you guys have a strat and a LP. You take a brand new song and learn it dead-on on the strat.

Yeah, fret size and string size are different. But isn't it the mental learning of where your fingers need to go vs. the type of guitar?

I would still say no. I have 4 guitars that all get played. The necks are all wildly different. Different scale lengths, fret size, nut width, neck a fretboard radii. I can easily play the same riffs on all four guitars without major issue. It may take a couple min's to adjust, but I would say it's a non-issue.
What a horrible night to have a curse.

Honestly Though.

I think the string tension on the Yamaha AES620 matches my Squire Strat. I think it is the string through body design.

I think the string tension is most likely looser on a Gibson and Epi because the stop tail make for a shorter scale length even though technically, the scale length runs from the nut to the bridge.

but I still getting used to the concept of beater guitars. I'd never heard the term before I joined in on this forum.

Hey another suggestion. Lyon/Washburn is selling some beginner guitars at Target. They have an LP model. Very very inexpensive. [/QB]

Can I just also mention i had never heard of a "beater" until i joined the forum, do we know where it came from????

Also the Yams you are talking about are great value with great build quality. also as xplorer said the epi les paul is a good instrument.

But whatever you go for as long as you like the feel and the tone you will be doing ok. ;)

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by Pappy P:

Honestly Though.

I think the string tension on the Yamaha AES620 matches my Squire Strat. I think it is the string through body design.

I think the string tension is most likely looser on a Gibson and Epi because the stop tail make for a shorter scale length even though technically, the scale length runs from the nut to the bridge.

with a Gibson you can tweak the tension by raising the stopbar.

the yammy has a fixed stop with the string through.

if you lowered the string height it would get slinkier feeling with the decrease in angle over the saddles.

Every guitar has it's own personality and it's own feel and tone.

So I wouldn't lose sleep over which should I playstuff.

Whatever you learn on a "beater" will only sound that much better when you play it on a quality axe.

And if you really fall in love with the tone/feel of the beaterthen maybe thats *THE* guitar for youand not the $2000 one!

Just go play....

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by Rootstonian:

Of coarse you can! I do it all the time, I go from the Strat to the LP to the Tele to the PRS ..what ever, if you really know the song it doesn't matter at all, not even a little bit! Scale length doesn't matter either IF you know the song.

You know, it's FRIDAY and I need a beer, so I'm sorry about my brain skip...

When I got the LP, guess what? I could play the same songs I could on the strat. Yeah, it felt a little different at first, but the LP had ZERO wear on it. And playing between the pickups (LP) vs. right over them (STRAT) took a little to get used to.

But a 16^18 hammer, 16^18^16 hammer pull-off is the same on all guitars; its not like the frets are spaced 1/2" different!!

I think I'm just going to go out and try a bunch of them. Set my price range and grab the one that feels the best..and like miroslav said "just go play".

Thanks guys...my weekend is made. Just have to inform the wifey of that little "extra" on the credit card! :)

Archived