Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: When Everyone Seems To Be Dying Around You

BiC

I'm not posting this to receive condolences. It's simply an observation, with respect.

Within a week...

My Aunt dies

My Great Uncle dies

My neighbor dies

Ever experience one of those weeks? I don't like these type of phone calls.

Speaking of, isn't it weird how we get "the phone call" in the middle of the night??? I'm going to cringe when I answer the phone and it's my big brother. The last time he called me was to tell me my Pop had cancer- which BTW he beat. He's sort of the "point" person of us 7 kids when there is bad news to deliver about our parents. BTW, my brother & I are close. We mostly email each other, though or I just talk with him when I call home during get-togethers I can't make.

Just rambling here...

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by musicalhair:

Just take care of your suit it will get a lot of use.

I couldn't make any of the funerals due to distance and the Air Force.

Heck, the past few years I've missed the funerals of my Godfather (uncle), his wife and another Uncle, the brother of my Godfather.

My poor Dad is losing his brothers before his eyes. He has 2 more surviving and 4 sisters.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by musicalhair:

For you dad I'd say you guys have to fill the void made by the departures for him. You aren't right there to do that but keep him busy with letters and pictures etc.

Yeah, he may also sense a sort of "survivor guilt" since he is seeing his brothers die directy/indirectly from the prostate cancer he had beaten. He still has one brother terminal- the one who just lost his wife this past week. You know how that goes... he may not have much of a will to fight any longer with her being gone.

First, I'm sorry for your losses. As we get older we are exposed to this more frequently than we care to. Try to spend as much time with your pop as you can. I made the mistake of drifting from mine and when I realized what I had done he passed. It's a regret I'll have to live with.

Someone said "Nobody gets out alive." which is true so while you are here make the most of any time you can with your loved ones. Family is the most important thing one has in life.

Stay strong for those around you.

Billy

Originally posted by Rampdog:

First, I'm sorry for your losses. As we get older we are exposed to this more frequently than we care to. Try to spend as much time with your pop as you can. I made the mistake of drifting from mine and when I realized what I had done he passed. It's a regret I'll have to live with.

Someone said "Nobody gets out alive." which is true so while you are here make the most of any time you can with your loved ones. Family is the most important thing one has in life.

Stay strong for those around you.

Billy

Yeah, our family is pretty tight. I have 3 older brothers, 1 older sister, and 2 younger sisters and about 24 nieces & nephews... a few "greats" in there too.

My Pop will be 66 in Aug and Mom will be 64 in July. Hopefully they still have quite a few years to go. Heck, my Nana is still alive and she will be 82 in Aug. She fought colon cancer this past year or so and won. She's a tough cookie. She's the only grandparent that's still alive.

But you're right, as we get older (most of us here in our 30's and 40's) we begin to see our aunts and uncles that we grew up with begin to die around us.

Nowadays, funerals become family reunions. Especially if you come from a huge family like mine.

Archived