Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Has Your Playing Been Affected...

BiC

since the invasion of computers?

Has using the mouse and typing affected your ability/agility to play?

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not noticed any deleterious effects.

Are you having a problem, BiC?

It seems that some folks develop a problem with carpal tunnel when using computer keyboards. I think it's mostly due to improper ergonomics. But I've never really looked into it that much. I've never suffered from it. But I know some people who have.

Is that what you're talking about?

Born on the Bayou

I haven't noticed any. I also played video games for like 6 years constantly and I have no problems.

But I screwed up my left arm working out. I have tennis elbow now and if I play alot, afterwards if I extend my arm it aches around my elbow. It was my wrist too, but that went away.

Yeah, I believe my carpal tunnel is acting up.

I just can't burn on Metallica's MOP like I use to. :P

Or maybe I'm just get'n old. ;)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by marvar:

I'm affected to the point that the time I spend on the computer keyboard would be better spent on the guitar fretboard.

:D

Hey Bic, a while back and on a few occassions I posted detailed explainations of physical therapy exercises I worked out after doing treatment (like 2 week, or month long) sessions with like 4 different physical therapists over the years.

I'll try to find them over the next couple of days.

In any event, the bulk of the exercises you should start doing slowly and high reps are dumbell curls, reverse curls, wrist curls and reverse wrists curls and hammer curls. Grab a monkey wrench or a big crescent wrench and ... well just bear with me here. Your wrists turn, so if you make a fist and look at it "knuckles up" you can turn it 180 degrees, with the monkey wrench handle in you hand you can exercise those muscles that do the turn (your bicep is actual a big part of this move and you can turn while doing dumbell curls, but do these anyway). You can also hold the wrench so that the heavy end is sticking out the other way and and it does other muscles. This might not be so useful but better to do it than not I think.

Your wrists also pivot along the direction of like from your thumb to you pinky. If you stand up with the wrench in your hand pointing out in front of you with your arm at your side, you can raise the wrench up by pivoting the wrist. You can do the same with the wrench pointing in back of you, raising it to the rear.

These are meant to be high rep, slow, full range movements. Don't hurt yourself doing them. Warm up your hands and stretch them good. Lack of stretching is a real problem, you should stretch your hands and wrists before guitar, before exercise and probably before long computer or typing sessions.

If you've got problems after playing guitar, consider stretching after playing (good idea anyway) and applying an ice pack for like 5-15 minutes. Also see a doctor and stress to him that you play guitar everyday, many don't know anything about what we do and therefore we must take the lead in our treatments. Same with the therapists, some are really clueless, we can't be treated like atheletes our stresses and problems are similar but we are playing constantly and daily to be any good.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by musicalhair:

Hey Bic, a while back and on a few occassions I posted detailed explainations of physical therapy exercises I worked out after doing treatment (like 2 week, or month long) sessions with like 4 different physical therapists over the years.

I'll try to find them over the next couple of days.

In any event, the bulk of the exercises you should start doing slowly and high reps are dumbell curls, reverse curls, wrist curls and reverse wrists curls and hammer curls. Grab a monkey wrench or a big crescent wrench and ... well just bear with me here. Your wrists turn, so if you make a fist and look at it "knuckles up" you can turn it 180 degrees, with the monkey wrench handle in you hand you can exercise those muscles that do the turn (your bicep is actual a big part of this move and you can turn while doing dumbell curls, but do these anyway). You can also hold the wrench so that the heavy end is sticking out the other way and and it does other muscles. This might not be so useful but better to do it than not I think.

Your wrists also pivot along the direction of like from your thumb to you pinky. If you stand up with the wrench in your hand pointing out in front of you with your arm at your side, you can raise the wrench up by pivoting the wrist. You can do the same with the wrench pointing in back of you, raising it to the rear.

These are meant to be high rep, slow, full range movements. Don't hurt yourself doing them. Warm up your hands and stretch them good. Lack of stretching is a real problem, you should stretch your hands and wrists before guitar, before exercise and probably before long computer or typing sessions.

If you've got problems after playing guitar, consider stretching after playing (good idea anyway) and applying an ice pack for like 5-15 minutes. Also see a doctor and stress to him that you play guitar everyday, many don't know anything about what we do and therefore we must take the lead in our treatments. Same with the therapists, some are really clueless, we can't be treated like atheletes our stresses and problems are similar but we are playing constantly and daily to be any good.

That's a lot of good info. Thanx for taking the time to type that out. I do know that when I twist & stretch my wrists, especially my right, I can hearing popping. I easily can develop tingling in both hands. The pain is more in the right. That's one reason I no longer use it for the mouse. I've adjusted to using my left hand for a couple years now.

Exercise and stretch both hands, big time.

In the past I think I detailed the stretches I do.

I've been meaning to write them and the exercises into a pamphlete with detailed photos. I've got drafts on disks lying around here somewhere in a box ... somewhere.

Equally important (it would have been more important but the problems have already begun to set in on you) is playing relaxed with no tension anywhere in your body as your playing. It is important to root out tension as you play. A weird tensing of a muscle in your back while playing (or any random unneeded tension) repeatedly over time will cause a problem elsewhere, shoulder, elbow who knows where else. They are all related. Especially of you play standing most of the time or if you don't use like a classical posture when seated.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I've been meaning to write them and the exercises into a pamphlete with detailed photos. I've got drafts on disks lying around here somewhere in a box ... somewhere.

Equally important (it would have been more important but the problems have already begun to set in on you) is playing relaxed with no tension anywhere in your body as your playing. It is important to root out tension as you play. A weird tensing of a muscle in your back while playing (or any random unneeded tension) repeatedly over time will cause a problem elsewhere, shoulder, elbow who knows where else. They are all related. Especially of you play standing most of the time or if you don't use like a classical posture when seated.

I mainly play sitting down. I usually find myself tensing my mouth/jaw when I play.

I must admit though, with my schedule working 12-13 hour days, I'm lucky to pick up my guitar during the week.

Originally posted by marvar:

I'm affected to the point that the time I spend on the computer keyboard would be better spent on the guitar fretboard.

True dat. Maybe that's why those 9 yr olds can woop my picking. :evil:
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I think the computer has made me better. I find lots of tablature, am introduced to new styles of playing, I've found lots of forums, and the greatest of all. GUITARPORT.

http://www.guitarport.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/sixtoedkitty/Miaroxsig.gif

I've got my ship, and all her flags are flying. She's all the I've got left, and MUSIC is her name!!

HAIR...yeah I remember that post on the exercise for guitar players it was excellent ..I am going to try to find where you posted that and repost it unless you know where it is back in history.

With computers came midi based tab software. That definatley helped my learning curve. Have you heard the kids today ripping it up? Damn, they really pick up the skills fast!
What a horrible night to have a curse.

I am definitely starting to get what seems to be "carpa tunnel", but I find sitting with good posture helps a GREAT deal.

And, completely OT, Hey BiC! I've not been here much, but I'm glad to see that you're back. All okay with the housing situation?

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I've been doing stretch exercises and calisthenics for 15 years. It is the best when you do them, take a hot shower and then play

The healthier your neck is, the looser the fingers

if you have serious hand problems, go to carpaltunnelfix.com

Archived