Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Thanks

Warthog

Hey, fellas. Many of you have been very supportive of me, and most know that I'm on an extended remote tour away from my family, wife, and 4 kids. Anyhow, just wanted ya'll to know that, and this sounds kinda weird since I've never met ya'll, I appreciate the comaraderie we have here. Being able to talk guitar, for a guy like me who's a hack at best, has been a great release and distraction the past year. Right now is tough for me: the flying is very challenging, I've missed 2 birthdays, a first haircut, numerous t-ball games, recitals, and school functions, a couple family vacations, skinned knees, and a broken arm. It's been 65 days since I've seen them, and 180 more til we're reunited (I'm planning on a Christmas leave to the states) and it seems harder each day, but ya'll have made it just a bit easier. And to anyone who has wanted to do what I do: it's not "Top Gun". It's a lot more drudergy, hard work, and putting up with crap than Hollywood makes it out to be!

I've been a member of a few forums over the years. Some I used to frequent but just drop-in once a month or so. I enjoy this one enough that I check-in at least once a day to see what you guys are up to and to throw-in my 2 cents when I can. I feel like ya'll are good friends already. Anyhow, enough of the cheese (and whine).

Simply put: THANKS!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, Pappy...I'm in Korea now, so not a huge chance of dyin' less'n the Chonger decides to roll south tomorrow. And, please don't get me wrong, I didn't type this so I could get a huge pat on the back. It is just to say "keep me in your prayers" or "have a cold one for me" or whatever you do to bring someone cheer and providence. There are SO many days when I just wish I had a 9 to 5 cuttin' grass or handing out tee times at the local golf course. In this life I always have work on my mind even after I go home. A day doesn't pass that I don't wish the next 6 1/2 years would pass quickly so I can retire and then get a "real" life. Call me burnt out on the military. I've never been one that loved following orders. One thing's for certain: when I retire from this at 42 I'll take a job with a lot less stress and a lot fewer bosses...

Hey there Warthog. I spent a litlle time in the Air Force so I know of the crap you talk about. I was not a flyboy, but I can imagine that it can be stressful and really tiring at times. I do not envy you being away from the missus and kids for so long, that is a big sacrifice on your part.

Thank you for doing that, in order to keep this great country safer.

I don't know you either, but I think about you and what you are doing for us when I read your posts and get reminded that you are a long way off doing your part.

Sometimes my liberal friends just make me sick with their whining and sniveling about this or that, stuff we are not supposed to talk about here :D ....but that is what makes this country so great...we can argue and disagree and question our leaders openly.....we got to protect these freedoms and it is guys like you who are doing that work.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Hey there Warthog. I spent a litlle time in the Air Force so I know of the crap you talk about. I was not a flyboy, but I can imagine that it can be stressful and really tiring at times. I do not envy you being away from the missus and kids for so long, that is a big sacrifice on your part.

Thank you for doing that, in order to keep this great country safer.

I don't know you either, but I think about you and what you are doing for us when I read your posts and get reminded that you are a long way off doing your part.

Sometimes my liberal friends just make me sick with their whining and sniveling about this or that, stuff we are not supposed to talk about here :D ....but that is what makes this country so great...we can argue and disagree and question our leaders openly.....we got to protect these freedoms and it is guys like you who are doing that work.

Thanks.

I've said this before, but regardless of your political point of view (I'm a liberal), you have to respect those of you who put their lives on the line to protect us and keep us safe. I extend the same respect to policemen and firemen as well. You guys do things that most of us couldn't do. Every single one of you is a hero in my books.

I won't go into my opinions as to this war, but when you sign up for the Armed Services you are there to put yourself in the way of danger for the greater good.

We all, on both sides of the pond, admire and respect the boys (and girls) who have chosen this path and the sacrifices they make, big and small, no matter what we think of the politicians who give them their orders.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

I won't go into my opinions as to this war, but when you sign up for the Armed Services you are there to put yourself in the way of danger for the greater good.

We all, on both sides of the pond, admire and respect the boys (and girls) who have chosen this path and the sacrifices they make, big and small, no matter what we think of the politicians who give them their orders.

Geoff

:thu:

Originally posted by A String:

regardless of your political point of view (I'm a liberal)

That's okay A String, I still think of you as a good friend :D Lotsa peace and love from the other side of the fence :wave:
Hey, my Dad is as right wing as they come and I love him.

I think of you as a friend too. :wave: There's no reason why people with different views can't get along (as far as I'm concerned), If we all had the same views, this would be a boring world...

Stay well Warthog...Thanks for the job you're doin'... With that said...How would you like me to send Mrs. Rampdog over to spend some time with you boys? She's ain't a bad old gal when you get er' cleaned up,..

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/Ramps/Toilet.gif

First off. Thanks. There isn't enough that can be said of guys like you who put their lives on hold for us.

That being said...

Have you gotten a set of webcams yet? One for you and one for your family...Allows you to see each other every day. A must have.

Say the word WartHog and you WILL have them!THAT is a guarantee!

Hey bud,

When I traveled among servicemen & women of all stripes in the mideast in 2002 I gained immense respect for what eveyone in the military does and what they sacrifice to serve our country. Never seen a more appreciative crowd. Can't imagine why they insisted on treating us (complete unknowns and moi, their mixer) as royalty. I just know they did. Even as they were eating MRE's on a daily basis. Even as they were happy to have porta-pottys. (Which had only arrived in Kandahar a week earlier. Some of those people had been at the airport for 5 months. :freak: ) We knew we'd be back in "civilization" in a day or two, yet they made us very welcome.

Thank you so much for your service! :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

We're just glad that there are people like you willing to put their lives on the line for us, Warthog. You guys sacrifice a lot to keep the bad guys at bay. We're very thankful to YOU. :D:wave::thu:

I second what Ellwood said. You guys want webcams, you got 'em. Just tell us where to send them. :D

Born on the Bayou

Keep your head down and your chin up, if that's contortionally possible :rolleyes: , and get back home safe. We got Sh@@@tloads of music to make, and you're a part of that! :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Hey, Warhog. I saw first hand how much more difficult the military travel was on families than on singles. I'm amazed at any family that makes it out whole and complete. My hats off to you.

Maybe get a couple of mac laptops - the new ones have the eyesight camera built into them. You talk and broadcast over the internet.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

You're quite welcome, :wave:

I done my year there... and it flew by. Your mid-tour will be here before you know it. The monsoons should be hitting pretty hard soon, so be careful when they do. Don't want you getting sucked into one of those drains! I'm sure you've already heard those horror stories.

While you're there, take a trip to the DMZ. Go to Lotte World. Check out Dr. Cho's church in Seol- the largest in the world.

If you're a Christian, volunteer to be a youth leader. That's what I did and had a great time with all the fun kids, events, and trips. Then plug yourself into the men's group at the chapel.

All this really helps to pass the time and is good for the mental well being.

God Bless :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

regardless of your political point of view (I'm a liberal)

That's okay A String, I still think of you as a good friend :D Lotsa peace and love from the other side of the fence :wave:
Hey, my Dad is as right wing as they come and I love him.

I think of you as a friend too. :wave: There's no reason why people with different views can't get along (as far as I'm concerned), If we all had the same views, this would be a boring world...

hey, i dig all you guys here.

differing views help all of us grow. i respect you all.

Originally posted by Warthog:

Call me burnt out on the military. I've never been one that loved following orders. One thing's for certain: when I retire from this at 42 I'll take a job with a lot less stress and a lot fewer bosses...

I Got out @ 10 years, then came back in. All in all, I'm 3 years away from retirement.

I'm burned out. I admit it. I do not like my job... I've been in too long to do recruiting duty... I don't have enough time on station to retrain. I'm basically stuck in a rut.

But, those 3 years will be here before I know it. In the meantime, I'll just pursue my business degree while the Uncle Sam pays 100% tuition. ;)

But yeah, I'm burned out... REALLY REALLY burned out. I'm tired of being away from my family months at a time. I've done my time... sacrificed my time. I'm ready for a change.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Archived