Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Setting up my own guitars

Hardtail

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the book and recommend it. I've only used the info on a basic Strat setup so far but the book covers just about any type of guitar made.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Hard

Can only think it will help but I have to admit for some reason I scared to fiddle with the set up of my guitars, just fear of the unknown i think. always use a guitar tech but it does interest me and i would like to be able to do it properly.

Best of luck mate

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Basic setups aren't that hard. There are a lot of sites that walk you through it. I think Fender even includes this in there generic manuals.

Now getting in to grinding frets or replacing/filing nuts? That's a different story.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Hardtail, looks like the reviews are pretty good. It would make a good addition to any library. :thu:

On the funny side, did you see that one review from that kid?

Book Title: Guitar Player Repair Guide

Reviewer:

Since I bought this book I haven't been able to repair even one guitar player.

:D

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Hayden:

I have the book and recommend it. I've only used the info on a basic Strat setup so far but the book covers just about any type of guitar made.

That's a nice shot of Nicky in your avatar. That boy can ride....there must be something in the water in Owensboro...all those Hayden boys are terrors on the track!

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by A String:

I've been setting up my guitar for years now. It would still be nice to have a reference book though. I'll have to pick one up.

Yeah...most people would be done by now.... :D

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I wonder if he covers set up on Gretsch guitars with the bigsby and adjustable spacing bridge? Holy crap, just changing strings is a challenge. (of course I'm somewhat mentally challenged)

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Joe Bbach:

I wonder if he covers set up on Gretsch guitars with the bigsby and adjustable spacing bridge? Holy crap, just changing strings is a challenge. (of course I'm somewhat mentally challenged)

i agree changing strings on the Gretsch can be harder than you would like, but interesting to find out if there is a book that covers Gretsch and other similar style guitars

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by The Big G:

Hard

Can only think it will help but I have to admit for some reason I scared to fiddle with the set up of my guitars, just fear of the unknown i think. always use a guitar tech but it does interest me and i would like to be able to do it properly.

Best of luck mate

Several threads have been around on this topic, at least one of them from me. I am also reluctant to go fooling with the setup, especially since the average cost of my guitars has kept rising. But it`s gotten to the point where I have too many to keep paying someone every time the alignment gets a little off, it`ll put me in the freakin poor house. Generally if you`re near a big city it tends to be a little cheaper due to higher volume of setups performed, but it`s not a bargain anywhere AFAIC. Gotta get a book, that`s all there is to it.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

It's a great book. I got mine after my guitar was at the shop for three weeks for a set-up, and I didn't like the results at all, the bridge didn't match the fretboard radius at all, almost flat. I haven't tackled any of the acoustic stuff, but I've completely rebuilt a few Strats, necks, wiring, the whole shebang, I don't think there's anything that isn't covered in detail.
www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Originally posted by SlyFoxx:

I thought everybody already had a copy!

I used to but mine (finally) fell apart. I haven't gone an gotten another one, yet. But I will.
I was going to ask you personally about this book but decided on putting it out on the forum.

Judging by the condition of your book, you've used it quite a bit. A good sign.

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Originally posted by A String:

I've been setting up my guitar for years now. It would still be nice to have a reference book though. I'll have to pick one up.

Yeah...most people would be done by now.... :D
:thu:
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived