Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alvarez Dana Scoop

Sleaze_Disease

Has anybody played an Alvarez scoop? It has the wood where the neck meets the body like carved out and you can play the high frets with no problem whatsoever. I got one awhile back (and find it really enjoyable), and I'm just wondering if anybody else has played one and what they think of it.
Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i never understood how removing wood behind the end of the neck iproved access.

i mean there is a big hole. doesn't that kill the tone any?

the heel is the culprit, and there are makers who shave it down or create better ways to attach the neck.

you have to help me here, the pics i have seen seem to show the wood removed in the body area. does that actually make a difference?

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/design/danacloseAE650.jpg

Yamaha created a system that used an aluminum tounge to attach the neck deep into the body allowing all 22 frets to be free of any annoying neck heel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/rawkzilla/gr712fullback.jpg

does the scoop still have a heel?

i am not knocking the scoop, but it seems more of a cosmetic thing.

Originally posted by rotosound45:

Damn! That's a blast from the past. I never understood the Scoop myself, and never really liked it to begin with. It just looks like missing wood in a very critical area, as far as strength goes.

Yeah. It looks like it would snap in two if you tuned it up. Can't do much for the sound either...

I'll post some pictures of it when I get my new camera. The body isn't as "80's" like the one above. It's actually more like a telecaster-shaped body. It has one humbucker in the bridge and one all chrome single coil in the neck. It's also a 3 on each side headstock.

• 2 weeks later...
The Alvarez Dana Scoop is one amazing guitar. The active pick ups give it an amazing sound. I only have one, but am hoping to add more to my collection. :) I don't think the scoop takes anything away from this kick ass guitar's sound. If you've got one, definitely keep it.

Actually, I didn't know it was active until not too long ago. I opened it up when it stopped working and found it had a dead 9-volt. Then I realized it would since the pickups were designed by EMG. But really great sounding and plays like a dream.

Archived