Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp v. Pedal?

Jersey Jack

hey i scored an older Traynor custom reverb 50 watt head and 2x12 cab for 100 bucks. all i need to do is clean it up and get a new power cord (the old one is ratty).

basically traynor's copy of a marshall which is a copy of a bassman.

tube amps don't have to be expensive.

there is no printed circuit in this puppy.

but i still love my DG100. and it smokes alot of amps.

no latency and it feels great. it doesn't hurt having two Vintage 30's in there.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a number of ALL-TUBE amps available new for under $1000.

Even though there isn't too much "talk" about the Ampeg guitar amps on this board, I think they sound great.

For example, $500 gets you a 15watt, 1x12 Ampeg J12T Tremolo Amp. A few bucks more will move you up the ladder to more watts and speakers!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-J12T-Tremolo-Amp?sku=481702

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Originally posted by Jack Ax:

A String said: "Too many folks spend more money trying to get a tube sound out of their amps then it would have cost to just buy a tube amp."

Again, I'm new to this, relatively speaking, but all of the tube amps I've seen are over $1,000. I'm thinking primarily of the Fenders and Marshals. I paid $239 for the Vox Valvetronix. What *genuine* tube amp is available near this price--or even under $1,000?

The Peavey Classic 30 is it as far as budget constraints go

around 500 FRNS

check out sligp amps, too

THe guy builds classic tube amp replicas for about 1 G

If you want the tone of a tube amp, get a tube amp. It is that simple!!

If you want tube tone to play at home, and don't need volume, I love the option of a Blackface Fender Champ. I particularly like my '65.......great clean sound, but that class A tube break up tone at dB levels that will not wake up your wife! This is still a fairly affordable vintage "living room" tube amp.

I also love my Fender Blues Jr.. It can have that marvelous clean Fender sound, but is easy to overdrive at reasonable dB levels as well.

If you want to play out, check out the Rivera Clubster and Pubster series amps. They are very portable, and have outstanding tube tone.

You can also find some really kick butt older Marshalls.....JMP's and JCM 800's, at reasonable prices on eBay if you watch for them. I'd get one that has never been modded, if possible.

Finally, I too have a really nice American Tele...I played about 20 of them before I found one I really liked. I've always found Teles challenging.....it can be hard to get a really great tone out of them. But, when you succeed, they sound awesome. Keep on trying!!!! Take your Tele to every music store you can find, and play it thru every tube amp they have. You'll eventually find the tone you crave.

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

if you watch eBay, you can score a great vintage Marshall JCM 800 for around $800 to $850 bucks. Then, watch for a Marshall 2x12 cab, which you can usually find for around $350 to 400 bucks. Thats around $1250, which is not chump change. BUT you'll be able to play just about anywhere, and you'll know what it means to be a man!!! Seriously, if you want a big tube/Marshall tone, this is a good option.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Geeze...ya know, I've NEVER owned anything but Marshalls, and that's because they serve the sound I'm trying to get. I've never let the cost turn me away from that sound either. It's that important to me. However, I always shop hard before buying. The two amps you see in my Avatar were purchased off ebay. I paid $750 U.S. for the JCM900 half stack, and $185 U.S. for the VS232 Valvestate, which, for a solidstate amp, has remarkably close tube reproduction. Deals can be had...you just have to look around.
Kerry

• 3 months later...

Hey, on the tube vs SS arguement, does anyone know of any websites where you can hear a direct comparison between tubes and SS. Like same guitar, same cabinet, same equalisation, but two different amps, one being SS and the other being tube.

Because I'm a relative newbie i cant really hear much of a difference, and if i fork out money for a tube amp i want to know its worth it. I understand the theoretical differences between the two, but i cant really hear that difference.

I can certainly tell the difference between a tiny little SS practice amp and a large tube stack, but in amps of comparable volume, its a bit blurry to me.

Mr_Newbie_LP

Archived