Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A little James Marshall H. for y'all

Fumblyfingers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's really cool. :thu:

I like how the guitar has a "twangier" sound than the "Are You Experienced" version.

Not sure about the teeth thing though. It sort of breaks the flow, but they could have fixed it by raising the bass volume I guess.

Why do you say Noel looks out of his depth?

Quote by Lee83 "How d'ya mean out of his league?"

Quote by KFIII "Why do you say Noel looks out of his depth?"

This is just my opinion, but Noel looks nervous, unsure of what to do with himself and his backing and support of Jimi is weak. Non-existant in my opinion. He plods on the beat and seems afraid to venture away from the root notes playing exactly just what he knows. Stiff as a board.

At least Mitch is loose and somewhat into it.

Sorry I have an attitude about Noel I suppose.Somewhat in part due to his long history of dissent about being in the group to begin with. He did not seem to realize how good he had it playing with someone of Jimi's stature. So what if he thought he was auditioning as a guitar player for "The Animals". He took the gig did he not. Perhaps someone said to him... " Noel you're not that good a guitar player. This is a real opportunity for you to hit the big time. All you have to do is play bass for Jimi, you'll go all the way to the top!"

I mean look at the miserable failure Fat Mattress was. And did they let him do that crap song "She's so Fine" on Axis just to shut him up? I can see it now....." I want to also do some writing, you've got to give me a song!" That tune completely destroys the continuity of that album.

Could that look Jimi threw in Noels direction, just before the outro, be one of disgust?

Man, Jimi was so much better off with Billy.

The truth shall set you free :D I have the dvd

soundtrack and Eric Clapton was saying how Chas Chandler didn't really look for anybody to play with Jimi other then Mitch and Noel and he thought

Jimi should of had better players playing with him.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Howdy Dark, so was Clapton saying that Jimi should have had better players? That Chas did not really bother to look for anyone better?

If so I agree 100%, always felt that way. I mean all his albums were great but it is the songwriting, singing, guitar playing,drumming, tracking and mixing that really makes it great....somewhat in that order...the bass playing is almost a no mention to me. All he did was plunk root notes with a pick to the most part. Definitely could have had a better bassist!

There were quite a few of them about in England in those days.

You know as much as I love the guy and all, I have never really copped any of his lead licks in the sense of learning any of his solo's. I do use some of his licks here and there and all, but they are also sorta stock blues lines. I will be happy to post them if I can figure them out.

I do have my version of Castles Made of Sand, rhythm pattern, but it is not note for note.

What say you. I know you have a bunch of his stuff down being as you probably perform them on a weekly basis.

So how about.....Fire!

That video sounds remarkably good too despite 2 critically important elements being almost entirely absent in the mix:

1) Bass Guitar

2) Kick drum (looks like they didn't even mic it??)

So it's kind if a Guitar/vocal/Cymbals/Snare mix, but at least that much is a nice stereo recording.

And he had such great character to his vocal and rhythm guitar work in that performance, I loved it.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

You know as much as I love the guy and all, I have never really copped any of his lead licks in the sense of learning any of his solo's. I do use some of his licks here and there and all, but they are also sorta stock blues lines. I will be happy to post them if I can figure them out.

I do have my version of Castles Made of Sand, rhythm pattern, but it is not note for note.

What say you. I know you have a bunch of his stuff down being as you probably perform them on a weekly basis.

So how about.....Fire!

Ok I will get that one.. but here is some lead out of Foxy Lady, http://www.soundclick.com/updateband/SongInfo.cfm?BandID=372411&Updated=4057470

I was doing it while you where responding Fumble LOL! anyways this is how I do it ..JIMMY YOU ALWAYS T H E...MAN!!! hope you like it guys, it's the first one on the list under : Foxy For HardTail.

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Sorry I have an attitude about Noel I suppose.Somewhat in part due to his long history of dissent about being in the group to begin with. He did not seem to realize how good he had it playing with someone of Jimi's stature.

Yeah, the Experience was a bit of a poisoned chalice for him, wasn't it? He'll always be in the rock encyclopaedias and bios and all that, but not in the way he wanted. He was always trying to validate what he had done with Hendrix and, in interviews, would point out that a lot of the basslines were his own invention. But it just made him look a bit silly, IMHO: the parade had gone by many years before.

As far as "She's So Fine" goes, it's not that bad a song. It's VERY dated, of course, but it's a good little bit of psychedelia. Put it into context before judging it! :) For example, it's so much better than Bill Wyman's "In A Foreign Land" (1967 bass player celebrity death match!)

I think that's the problem with Fat Mattress as well. It's very dated stuff, far too much "of its time". I'm always toying with getting some of their albums but I'd be buying them as a curio rather than as proper albums that I'm looking forward to hearing. Anyway, IIRC, Noel R. only played on their first album before leaving to become a session musician, so the band's commercial failure is not completely his fault.

Dunno... I've always had a soft spot for Noel Redding. Mind you, I feel the same way about Doug Yule. :D

I guess I'm semi-retarded but I just noticed Jimi was left-handed and played a right-handed guitar upside down (a la one of my favs Michael Card). Am I seeing that right?? Sorry, never been a huge Hendrix fan though I really respect him musically I never got into it as much as others.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Don't be sorry Warthog lots of us are not a Michael Card fans either! Yeah you are right Jimmi played left handed and upside down but he was right handed.

Ahh, yes, I'd imagine that 99.9% of us don't even know who Michael Card is, let alone that he plays the same way as Jimi did. That's always been very intriguing to me to watch a guy play that way. Maybe it's just because it's virtually incomprehensible to me. It's fascinating to me...I mean, how do you learn? What books do you read? Anyone on this site employ that style??

Originally posted by Warthog:

That's always been very intriguing to me to watch a guy play that way. Maybe it's just because it's virtually incomprehensible to me.

Same here.

And don't the knobs get in the way all the time? :confused: Must be really uncomfortable to play that way.

Archived