Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best town/city to live in for music

Gifthorse

My band has been contemplating making a move to a better place that is more conducive to music.

The ideas so far are

Denver, Austin--these are my other guitarists.

New York, Chicago, or Nashville (nashville seems like a good place)

I am partial to Nashville now because my buddy moved down there and says the cost of living is affordable. I hear this is a major hub of the music industry too. I also hear there are a million brilliant musicians/guitarists..

My buddy said in Nashville there are 12 yr olds that play better than we could play in a lifetime.

I don't want to live in LA..

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This wouldn't be the place. :(

I like the Denver area. I don't know much about the music scene there but I've spend a lot of time there and in Colorado Springs. I don't like Denver central, but the burbs are great.

Tennessee is another favorite spot of mine. I think you will like it there.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Austin is saturated and there is NOT enough money or people in general (as a city), or recording going on for it to necessarily grant a better future for any band in almost any genre. Also, many here are good musicians, some play very, very well, and some are excellent, but there are NOT many musicians and/or club owners/promoters w/ what you'd call a "professional attitude" and/or "behavior" and that are passionate about music--many are more passionate about the lifestyle/scene or about smoking pot than about music itself. Regardless, it can be a very cool place to live and play in, although I can perfectly understand if someone told me they were sick and tired of it.

Even Dallas may be better, and may have a more professional level, since it's a bigger city. I think recording is way bigger in Dallas than it is here.

I'm very new to the pop music game, but I'd venture to say NYC, LA, maybe even Chicago are better bets. From what I've heard Nashville may also be saturated and who knows, it may not be the town for your band, although I'm sure it'd be great to live in a place full of ridiculously-, highly-skilled players!

Denver and Boulder may be more expensive than Austin, which is getting more and more expensive, but it's not at big-city levels yet. LA and NYC are super expensive (know quite a few people in and/or from both places). Chicago is definitely cheaper than those, but it's obviously a big city, so it's more expensive than Austin... I think Bucktown in Chicago has a good number of live music venues. Some venues can be very open and receptive to new and/or experimental pop styles. I think Chicago is a very cool town, in spite of my rough times there.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

To make it as a band on a higher level, it's either NY or LA. That's pretty much it.

Yep!!
And they can have it, too

Being in Florida, if anyone has an "I Love N.Y"

or "I love L.A" shirt, I tell them to take either I-95 North or I-10 west.

Flagship, my hats off to you guys for being motivated on that level to really go for it.

I just can;t live in towns which are big music towns, because of all of the Big City congestion/hype that goes along with it. I guess i have retired at the age of 35 and am getting old.

I miss playing out, but I find myself wanting to go to more and more remote towns like Aztec or Farmington, New Mexico.

I would think that if you want to make it, it wouldn't matter what city your in, you should be touring all over the place anyway. Book gigs everywhere and see where the best receptions to your style are.

But, I guess basing yourself in a big city helps, just stay away from all the garbage (drugs, bad attitudes) as much as you can.

What about Seatle (spelling??), isn't there a good music scene there? Detroit rock city?

Good luck!

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

Originally posted by CraigT:

Rather than worry about location wouldn't it be easier to start your own label and market yourself on the internet? If you move somewhere with lots of competition how do you stand out?

Probably the most reasonable premise. Any inkling of wanting to sign up with a record company (bend over) was eliminated when I read the book Confessions of a record Producer by Moses Avalon. I recommend any serious musician who has aspirations of "getting signed" buy this book. It really cuts to the chase, gives you facts and figures regarding what you are up against, and is easy to read.

The book offers a conclusion in that you are best off signing a pressing and distribution deal with a major label and financing everything else yourself. Take out a small business loan and budget everything

Originally posted by blitzkrieg bop:

I would think that if you want to make it, it wouldn't matter what city your in, you should be touring all over the place anyway. Book gigs everywhere and see where the best receptions to your style are.

But, I guess basing yourself in a big city helps, just stay away from all the garbage (drugs, bad attitudes) as much as you can.

What about Seatle (spelling??), isn't there a good music scene there? Detroit rock city?

Good luck!

Well it's good for me in Detroit and Windsor Canada right across the bridge but I play only covers. I think for a young band that has good original material should get the heck out of MoTown! Heck even the rappers from here leave pretty much as soon as they get a deal and head for NYC or the west coast.

Nashville is a great place to live. Low cost of living, beautiful hills, equal access to rural or urban life and a short drive between the two. (As opposed to Chicago which sprawls so far that more rural, affordable living is quite a distance and takes more time than distance would suggest. Need anyone mention what driving in the LA area is like?)

Nashville is a great place to be discovered in country music. It's a great place to be based as any musician, but it's a terrible place to gig regularly, unless you already have a strong fan base. Nashville is notorius for staying home in droves from Mon. - Thurs., where live music is concerned. It's ironic that a place known for music industry has such a mediocre live music scene, with a few big exceptions. If you want to make money playing while working towards a big break, either you're a staff writer, a sideman, session player, or more likely, waiter, etc. It's hard for most people to scratch out a living playing live gigs in Nashville. The best paying clubs for most bands are little, out of the way places in the sticks. Be prepared to tour regionally if you expect to make any real money playing gigs.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Nashville is a great place to live. Low cost of living, beautiful hills, equal access to rural or urban life and a short drive between the two. (As opposed to Chicago which sprawls so far that more rural, affordable living is quite a distance and takes more time than distance would suggest. Need anyone mention what driving in the LA area is like?)

Nashville is a great place to be discovered in country music. It's a great place to be based as any musician, but it's a terrible place to gig regularly, unless you already have a strong fan base. Nashville is notorius for staying home in droves from Mon. - Thurs., where live music is concerned. It's ironic that a place known for music industry has such a mediocre live music scene, with a few big exceptions. If you want to make money playing while working towards a big break, either you're a staff writer, a sideman, session player, or more likely, waiter, etc. It's hard for most people to scratch out a living playing live gigs in Nashville. The best paying clubs for most bands are little, out of the way places in the sticks. Be prepared to tour regionally if you expect to make any real money playing gigs.

As usual, Neil has got it nailed. :thu::D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by MILLO:

Austin is saturated and there is NOT enough money or people in general (as a city), or recording going on for it to necessarily grant a better future for any band in almost any genre. Also, many here are good musicians, some play very, very well, and some are excellent, but there are NOT many musicians and/or club owners/promoters w/ what you'd call a "professional attitude" and/or "behavior" and that are passionate about music--many are more passionate about the lifestyle/scene or about smoking pot than about music itself. Regardless, it can be a very cool place to live and play in, although I can perfectly understand if someone told me they were sick and tired of it.

Even Dallas may be better, and may have a more professional level, since it's a bigger city. I think recording is way bigger in Dallas than it is here.

I'm very new to the pop music game, but I'd venture to say NYC, LA, maybe even Chicago are better bets. From what I've heard Nashville may also be saturated and who knows, it may not be the town for your band, although I'm sure it'd be great to live in a place full of ridiculously-, highly-skilled players!

Denver and Boulder may be more expensive than Austin, which is getting more and more expensive, but it's not at big-city levels yet. LA and NYC are super expensive (know quite a few people in and/or from both places). Chicago is definitely cheaper than those, but it's obviously a big city, so it's more expensive than Austin... I think Bucktown in Chicago has a good number of live music venues. Some venues can be very open and receptive to new and/or experimental pop styles. I think Chicago is a very cool town, in spite of my rough times there.

If you are considering Austin, the above quote says it pretty good. Here's my twist; if you play drums, keyboard, and/or sing really good, by all means, come on down!!!! You can write your ticket. If you play guitar good or otherwise, stay home. Everybody here plays guitar. Even the little pimple faced punk behind the counter at Burger King... and he's probably better than you. :eek:
Wang

After going to the summer NAMM shows in Nashville a few times, I must say it seems like one of the best spots for music. I'm in and out of NYC all the time for clients etc and it's good, but I don't think it can compare. LA is also a great spot (tons in California) but you don't want to live there, neither do I. Actually about 73% (made that percentage up, but it sounds official) of my business comes from California although I am in New Jersey.

Sam Tuliebitz

6th String Music

www.6thstringmusic.com

I loved New York.. That is where I would like to live. Very stimulating to no limits.

I liked the people. They seem very direct. I like that.

Thanks for that link Cap, I will join some of those forums.

Personally, I believe if you create good enough music and it is represented well with image and all that crap. You can be anywhere and do something. It is about a business/marketing sense combined with your songs and abilities.

We haven't tapped into our abilities yet. We are improving though. I personally think just being awesome is about doing it now wherever you are. It is alot harder to be good when you incorporate as much singing as we are doing now. It is a tough game. Playing guitar is easy for me, but when you are singing alot too it creates more possibilities to go off-- Especially with our new stuff that has more of me and Mackenzie writing. The guitar parts are more difficult so it is harder to sing and play.

I am always really impressed with bands that can use 3 part harmonies because I know how much work it is compared to nobody singing except the lead singer. Lee your band has that down for those covers.

After seeing King's X again I NEVER want to go off again live! Acoustically it is alot easier. Being relaxed is key.

Sorry8 for the OT in my own thread..

I'd think Nashville would be my top choice. I think I shared this story before, but here it is again:

When I was learning guitar there was a group of us who'd gather at an old fella's house and play. He was in his late sixties and had been playing guitar for like 58 years. He was very, very good. Anyhow, there was a mid 20's guy in the group who up and said he was moving to Nashville to launch his music career. Now, he was pretty good, but not Nashville good. Anyhow, Old Bill's advice was this: "Pack up your things and drive to Nashville. Stop at the first gas station you come to once you enter the city limits. If you can outplay the guy pumping your gas, you might have a chance."

What he was saying was that

a. everyone in Nashville is trying to make it in music

and

b. you're probably gonna need a second or third job to make ends meet. Lots of bands/guys play for dirt cheap there just to get exposure.

Having spent a little time there, I really like it, but then again, I'm not trying to make it in music. There's just so much music going on there besides country....bluegrass, Christian, etc.

Other places that come to mind are Memphis, Seattle, NYC, and L.A. That's very exciting though that ya'll are contemplating a move. Good luck to you.

Oh, yeah. I lived in Denver for 8 years and spent lots of time in Boulder too. The Boulder live music scene was awesome, but it's very, very expensive these days. Denver has 2 million+ people and Boulder's just a really nice place to be as far as scenery and weather go. We used to rock climb and backpack by day and seek out good live music by night. I saw lots of great bands there. I moved away from there in '98 so I'm not sure how it is these days. The last time I was there was in '03 and I've changed quite a bit over the years, so didn't go out on the town with the wife that time, but it was still as picturesque as ever and there's no better weather anywhere in the world in my opinion.

Archived