Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whammy String Ping?!?!?!?

stamplicker

Still mucking with the tremolo/whammy/virbato... which ever name is your pref. insert above...

when I do slight Whammy shakes.. I get a ping sound from the strings.. (e, b, a) believe thats where it comes from. Doesn't do it all the time.. and not all three strings at the same time.. it's one or two of them.. but it's one or two of the three High strings. Is it a matter of tension? springs? my pathetic playing/technique? haven't restringed this guitar yet but fill's like 9's on it. stays in tune.. but that odd Ping sound that comes out when doing some psychedelic sounds and seeing what this thing can do can be annoying. Will try to record it and get a sound clip up later.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you are using a non locking trem, you are possibly getting the ping at either the nut (too tight) or the string trees (if equipped). most likely the G or B. but i would bet on the G. unless of course it is the springs as mentioned.

if it is the nut have a luthier file the nut slots slightly. do you get the same ping when tuning?

Thanks for the response.. don't get the ping when tuning.. just when using the whammy and having fun with it.. (errr jimi style).. but not large dives just very quick small shakes. but never thought about the tree causing it.. I hear it in the amp but not on the guitar so the pickup's are grabbing it and amplifing it.. just wasn't sure what end to look at. And as geoff mentioned.. springs. I question those myself cause they do seem rather tight. (Is there a break in period for them? or someway to break them in)? And yes it's a non locking trem. just a basic run of the mill no -name so far (haven't found a name on it yet).

yeah as Geoff mentioned it is the springs.

check to see if they are well seated in the trem block and put a drop of lube on the claws that hold the spring loop ends. chances are the spring claw isn't sitting at the best angle and is causing the springs to creak and ping.

I noticed the same ping on my strat but it happens when Im tuning and when using the bar... is there an easy adjustment I can make without taking it to a shop? I dont hear it in the amp just when I tune or sometimes when I use the bar... is it a major concern? Im glad I saw this post I thought it was normal.....
Eat a Peach for Peace..........

Originally posted by hamburglar:

I noticed the same ping on my strat but it happens when Im tuning and when using the bar... is there an easy adjustment I can make without taking it to a shop? I dont hear it in the amp just when I tune or sometimes when I use the bar... is it a major concern? Im glad I saw this post I thought it was normal.....

your nut is pinching the strings or the string tree is catching the string.

a simple solution is first figure out which string is catching in the nut then file the opening a hair larger to allow the string to move freely.

if your nut is not a graphite nut try a little pencil shavings or graphite powder in the slot.

put a drop of lube on the string trees. if they are causing a sharp angle loosen the screw holding the "tree" down so the angle is less. go slow , it really depends how long the screw is to how much adjustment you will have.

Ok back to being serious! :)

I have had a groove in one of my saddles cause that type of noise, on one guitar I have. But usually only when bending hard. I suppose it is also conceivable that on a dive it could hook, but most likely the nut or tree as you suggested.

I am kinda stuck in the online Blues station posted by someone here earlier....good stuff!!! Tab Benoit on now...cool!

Not to change the subject, but Tab Benoit rocks. Saw him in a little club several years ago right after "Nice and Warm" came out. Killer blues.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Archived