Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EQ Pedal Suggestions?

Penguin

I'm looking to buy an EQ Pedal to get a better tone to my sound, since from my last post you guys said it would help me a lot. Just need some suggestions to buy which? the more bands one is the better?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most EQ pedals are noisy (I have a Boss Graphic EQ and can attest to the fact with regard to its noise level).

If you want to get a good one, you may want to consider getting a modified Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ from Brian Wampler at indyguitarist.com .

His modification reduces the noise level and changes the frequency adjusted by the lowest slider on the pedal. It allows you to get a bit more thump out of your amp.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Isn't what? A rack mount? I thought you were looking for an EQ Pedal?

I believe they made a rack mount version of the parametric EQ called the PQ-50. It's even harder to find then the Pedal.

I did find a place that has a used PQ-4 for $135. There is also a Moded one on E-bay.

Hey I dont' know what thread you were told you need an EQ (or if I'm twisting what was said out of context), but I'd say very rarely does a guitarist need an eq pedal.

That isn't to say that if you had one and it wasn't too noisey that you couldn't find a lot of uses for it-- you certainly could find at least a few uses for it. But for over all "stock" tone creation I'd think it should never be needed and only a last resort. You've got your guitar and your amp to get you the stock tone (and what ever you think is like a base-line distortion if that is your bag).

I've seen guys use an EQ for lead playing (though often I think a "boost" or something else would serve better).

All that aside, I love my Furman PEQ rack mount. They don't make them anymore but they can be found used. I should be owning two of them right now but I missed out on the second, that is how much I think of that device.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

What do you want it for again?

I always liked the BBE sonic Maximizer. It doesn't filter your signal and take anything away like an EQ, it actually adds something---I am no expert but I have heard this from some knowledgable sources.

I'm a huge fan of these too. In fact, if I had to pick one pedal to keep forever that would be it. I love it so much that I have a Sonic Stomp for easy mobility and a rackmount 882i for my studio. Try one out...you may find that tone you're looking for.

I've seen the sonic stomps in stores, read reviews on HC, went to their website - everything short of playing one. The comments seem to say that they add "clarity" and help define low end.

???

I guess this description doesn't help me much. Can someone actually describe what they do or how they work.

Thanks

<< I've seen the sonic stomps in stores, read reviews on HC, went to their website - everything short of playing one. The comments seem to say that they add "clarity" and help define low end. I guess this description doesn't help me much. Can someone actually describe what they do or how they work.>>

The BBE devices use a proprietary design to enhance perceived brightness. Unlike a high frequency equalizer, which boosts amplitude at or above a certain frequency range, the BBE uses phase delays to simulate an accelerated transient response, resulting in increased brightness without an increase in volume in the highs. It works at what it proposes, as does the Aphex Aural Exciter circuitry, which uses harmonic generation to arrive at a similar result. These devices have fallen into disfavor in the pro studio world, but still seem to exist in the guitar scene. The BBE will get you more high end clarity, but so will a switch from an LP to a Tele, a crank of the presence knob on the amp, or backing off on the compression.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

<>

A graphic EQ is a bandpass equalizer with slider-type gain controls for each frequency band. Thus, the position of the faders provides a "graphic" representation of the frequency or spectral response. A parametric EQ usually uses rotary knobs to provide control over several state variable filters. Usually 3 or 4 bands are provided, & technically, to be termed a parametric EQ, there must be "Frequency", "Bandwidth", & "Gain" controls for each band available. The Boss pedal does not, & therefore is just a sweep EQ. Anyway, you get much more control over tonal response with a real parametric EQ, & thus that is the type used in pro studio work. Graphic EQs are generally found in PA systems for quick & dirty tuning out of feedback frequencies & counteracting of room modes.

<

This is just a packaging choice. A pedal has to run on a fairly low voltage while a rack unit can have a much more robust power supply, & generally doesn't have to cut corners in componentry to the same extent as a pedal device.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

<>

I think it's not a question of need. If the combination of tone controls on the guitar & the amp provide the sound one desires, you're set. OTOH, if you want some more specific frequency shaping than the very general controls usually available on amps, an EQ pedal will do that very effectively. But, EQ in a pedal does tend to be a lot noisier than the units we typically use in studio work.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

This pedal looks seriously sweet, and with Carl Martin's rep for good stuff I'd have to think that it would fit the bill nicely, maybe even be better than the rack mount furman I got because I don't love rack mount stuff and dream of the day where I need a "River Dance" type troupe to operate my pedals for me :D

http://www.electriccitymusic.com/Qstore/p000410.htm

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

The Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ pedal is well known for being astoundingly good value, about $30 brand new I think. Probably won't satisfy a lifetime of EQ requirements, but it will certainly fill a hole for a while and help you gain an understanding of what EQ pedals do.

From there you could well decide to invest in something else. Tonejam offer the Sniper mod Boss GE-7, which removes the awful hiss of the stock design and gives more output. There are also the MXR ones, the many Maxon & Ibanez incarnations to be found on ebay, BJFE's Sea Blue EQ, Carl Martin's and many others I'm sure.

I use the Boss GE-7. It works great for my tone (strictly metal). I could definatley recommend one. Mine has the Monte Allums mod installed, but it still rocks without any modification. I've wanted to try the MXR KFK eq, but I think I'll stick with my GE-7.

Hey A-String!

I'm with you on the PQ-4. I got rid of one like the idiot that I am (see the Thread Of Shame!). Can they even be purchased anymore? I used one with a BOSS Digital Metalizer. It was a distortion box with built in chorus and doubler. I also pawned it off. Oh, what a fool I am. :mad:

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Archived