Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Composing for Other Instruments

Rhino Madness

Rhino I was wanting to reply earlier but I got distracted. I really liked the piece you did and feel inspired to get into it myself.

Truth be told I have had Garritan Personal Orchestra for a while now, over a year, and more recently Jazz and Big Band which sounds sweet. But I am embarrassed to say that I have been rather lax about really working with these programs.

Same goes for Reason 3, which I have tons of cool refills for and also Reason Drum Kits, but I have been slack about actually getting in deep into the program.

I have allowed two silly issues to get in my way as landmines, insufficient RAM memory and a notation program that is obsolete.

But again your music has inspired me to pull out finger and go for it.

So the Missus gets to buy me another Gig of RAM for Father's Day, which will bring me up to 2 Gig, and I might just have to pick up Finale 2006, on the sly of course.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Write more man, it sounded good.

Are you using GPO?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

One thing I like to do on electric is to fade in the notes by picking with the volume rolled off and bring in the sound with my pinky wrapped around the volume knob: it gives an attack somewhat similar to that of the violin.

I heard Eddie doing that in Cathedral and was really impressed, then I started hearing it pop up everywhere. Chet Atkins uses it all the time. I was so inspired, I ran out and bought a special volume knob for my guitar. (It's a tiny bit taller and much looser then a regular knob.) Makes the volume swells ten times easier then with a regular Strat knob.

Originally posted by musicalhair:

I also like the moment the strings enter. Another thing I like is towards the way you add a higher timbre around th 2:11 point. I don't know if you changed synth patches or something at that point for the ending or what cauzed what I'm hearing there but I liked it.

Same instruments, just different notes :) .

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Rhino I was wanting to reply earlier but I got distracted. I really liked the piece you did and feel inspired to get into it myself.

(...)

Thanks for the inspiration.

Write more man, it sounded good.

Are you using GPO?

Hey thanks Fumblyfingers, if I can share the inspiration, my goal is more than accomplished!

I heard great things about GPO but I used Synful Orchestra (they have a 14-day demo period). Not all the instruments are great (or even represented) but the cello and flute are very useable and the violin and trumpet sound great. And it's fairly intuitive to learn how to tweak them (although I wish I had a bit more than 2 weeks to play around with it). This is now on my short list of things to buy.

Ell this is the French Horn in GPO. I am using my guitar controller to generate it and apart from the fact that it glitches, it is not so hot on the expression side ( the guitar synth I use ). So this is a very quick effort. Also I had the reverb too high and clipped the end off...oh well. Still, let me know how it sounds. This is a great program considering you get a full orchestra for around $200.

French Horn

I want to try out the Ghost modular pickup system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was bumping this back up to offer my own bit of composing for other instruments, but

Hey Ellwood,as far as I know the French Horn is pretty much considered "distant" sounding. Very little "attack" in the note production, airy might be an excellent word for it. The thin I'm linking to has midi French Horn featured prominately, and while that is nothing to go by I'd not have uploaded it if I thought it sounded unreasonably fake. The excessive "cathedral" reverb is excessive and I should have used something less over the top, but over all I like it.

Here is a link to what I'm talking about:

18th Century R & B Serenade

I'll be posting this and the other stuff in the "share your music" thread.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Archived