Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Artcore AFS75T - How Thick is the Body

Boots DeVille

I'm shopping for my first hollow body (been playing slabs for 25 years).

Ibanez has a real slick website, but it's lacking in content in some areas. I was looking at the Artcore models, and it doesn't tell what the differences are between the AFS75T and the AFS78T, for example.

And they don't give dimensions for the thickness of the bodies of these, or any others for that matter.

So can any one tell me the difference between the AFS75T and AFS78T, besides cosmetics. And also how thick are the bodies of these guitars?

I'd love to hear opinions too if you own one. I'd primarily be shooting for the Social Distiortion, Rev. Horton Heat, Gretsch sound. Might end up putting a set of TV Jones pickups in it, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

Thanks,

John

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My AF-75 is 2-13/16ths inches thick at the bindings. I do not have a large caliper but it appears to be about 3-1/4" thick in the center.

The AFS-78T looks like a slimline version and with different pickups.

My guitar does not have the tremelo arm, but otherwise is the same dimensions as the tremelo version.

I like mine. It has the best intonation out the box of any new guitar I have bought.

The pickups are so-so, I would like to get some good Gison PAF's on there and also put good potentiometers in it.

It is no ES-175 or whatever, but for the insane low price, you cannot beat the deal.

That is funny the (w)hole Haashole deal and the rabbit ( or haas )Good play on words.

Thanks for checking that for me Fumblyfingers, and thanks for your opinions.

I was like, "huh? How does he know about haashole?". I had forgotten I put that in my profile.

I'm glad you see the humor in it. No one else in my family seem as amused by it! :) oh well...

John

The trick here John, as you know, is going to be actually playing a few of these. I lucked out as mine was good right off. I am sure you will find one that just say's "buy me". From all I have read the quality control on these guitars is consistant and quite good.

i actually went in to look at something else and picked one up and it felt and played well. I had never heard of the line so I came home and jumped on the computer to research it as it seemed too good to be true for the price. I got mine for $275 I think. They got raves reviews across the board so I bought it. I am glad I did.

Again, it is not in the same league as a name guitar like Gibson or the higher end Ibanez's, but it still is a good guitar.

This is a really quick no thought pass at a blues progression done on it. It is just chords for a squence and then a little soloing. This was through a POD 2 set to a sorta Fender Blackface sound. Rough and with some clipping here and there, but will give an idea. On my site No Resolution and Donna Lee were done with it as well.

AF-75

Hey FumblyFingers, thanks for that sound sample, that sounds realy nice! I'm assuming those are the stock pups - that certainly help solidify my choice.

I know what you mean about trying a few - problem is, here in Northern Vermont, there ain't a lot of options for that. I may take a day off and drive to Boston and see what I can find.

Otherwise, I'll probably mail order one. Whatever I get I'm going to have set up by a local guy I trust, so I'm not too concerned with setup issues out of the box.

Thanks again for your help,

John

The AFS75 is much thinner than the AF75.

I have one...it's 1.7"

The AF75 is 2.75"

The AFS78T is the same as the AFS75T...1.7"

I wish Ibanez USA would put up the dimensions on their website.

If you go to the Japan website...they show dimensions in millimeters, and then you can convert to inches (but they only have a few of the models).

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Thanks Miroslav for those details, that's exactly what I was looking for.

OK, so what I'd prefer is the width of an AF75 (2.75"), with the "T" (tremolo) on the AFS75T. I should probably start another thread for this, but has anyone put a the Ibanez Trem, or a Bigsby on an AF75???

John

It shouldnt be hard to do.

I'm actually planning to go the other way.

I want to get a second AFS75T...and then remove the tremolo and put on a regular tail piece, which I already have.

I also have the AG85, which is a wider body...but I would like a thin body, like the AFS75T...without the tremolo.

The tailpiece cost me $35...though I'm sure the tremolo assembly will be much more, as you also have to get the roller-bridge to go with it...

...and the mounting holes for the trem should line up where the regular tailpiece was....but you may have to fudge it just a bit.

Yes...you should go to an authorized dealer.

I called Ibanez direct for my tailpiece.and they flat-out said it would cost me *less* if I ordered it through an Ibanez dealer.

They gave me the exact part #...and I just walked into the music storeand they had it for me in a week.

I called a local shop on the phone, and the guy told me he'd call Ibanez and ask 'em and get back to me. I just heard back.

So if anyone's interested...

Ibanez Tremolo Part No.: 2TM1H1FC

Current Price From Dealer: $115

I'm kinda liking this option. I've never owned a guitar w/ a Bigsby style trem, and this way, if I don't like it, I can switch back.

I know what's gonna happen - I'll get this "inexpensive" guitar, swap out the tailpiece, pups, tuners and probably pots and switches and be into it for as much as Gretsch by the time I'm thru. Oh well, at least it'll be unique. ...and of course, it'll Rock! :)

John

Archived