Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bele Fleck/Edgar meyer

vikingrat

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sauce:

Hah sorry but just curious if you saw them on the Bonnaroo 2002 video on demand and if not I guess check them out on that, it was a good clip.

BINGO!! That is just where i saw it this morning.I saw Bela once at the free santa monica pier concerts but i liked this even more.The sound of him and the acoustic stand up bass with a bow was awesome.The bass player reminds me a bit of Edward Weber.Ive never hear a banjo sound so poignat before.Kinda happy sad to qoute Tim Buckley.

Yeah it was a great video. I still haven't seen him live yet although he's on my list to see eventually, hopefully.

I thought the rest of the clips were real good too, they had a good line up that year (like every year hah).

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

I've had the pleasure of working with Bela' several times, and he always amazes me, and truly a nice person, (my cousin named his son after him, and I got him to sign a picture for little Bela') Seeing Victor Wooten play is almost worth seeing the show also, as for Edgar Meyer, he is a hometown boy- from Oak Ridge, Tn. Where I grew up, and my parents still live, just about 10 miles north of Knoxville. He's a few years younger than I am, but he grew up next door to my best friend's house.
"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Several years ago Béla and Edgar came to Bristol and put on a show in the Paramount Theater as a benefit for the local high school band's trip to Ireland. (One of the kids in the band wrote Béla and invited him, Béla accepted, and the kid worked out setting up the gig himself.) It was an amazing show. Toward the end of the first set, as he was going on playing "Perpetual Motion" on the banjo with Edgar on bass, my mind drifted and I pondered how it wasn't just an oddity that he was playing a piano concerto on a banjo, but that he was playing it damn well. Then I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if someone took a National Tricone and played Spanish classical guitar on it?" There was an intermission, and when Béla came out for the second set, what was he carrying but a shiny National Style 1 Tricone?! He played some killer classical guitar on it, too!

:eek::cool::D

Oh, yeah: I brought along my teacher to the show, and he was more interested in Edgar's bass playing than anything. Edgar is amazing! He brought along a friend of his (I'd given him a pair of tickets) whose name I can't think of now, but he's played bass with The Oak Ridge Boys. He was just raving over Edgar's bass playing.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Archived