Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Consider This Statement by Pete:

Dr. Ellwood

From the October 1989 Guitar Player

Despite the apparent randomness, Pete Townshend is actually quite selective and specific about his guitars. In practical terms, begins Pete, I look for strength first, and a solid line from tailpiece to headstock and that all components in that pathway be of high quality and super strength. Im also very keen on clean, enhanced treble of the Gibson variety, but with no sustain. This more closely approximates the vibration cycle of the acoustic, and suits my rhythm style far better than charged-up, overwound pickups that whine on for hours. However, when I play solos, I like sustain, so a well-matched guitar and amplifier is the key, one in which the treble doesnt change up or down when you change the level of the guitar into the amplifier. All that should change is the amount of sustain, in my opinion. I got a perfect combination for stage work with my Les Paul Deluxes or Schecter teles run into a master-volume Hiwatt.

Pete is not one to go into long explanations about his rigs or guitar choices. But there are some key statements in this. His reference to treble settings staying consistant through his entire tonal range, on guitar his reference to acoustic considerations when choosing the characteristics he wants in a electric guitar. There are some things to think about here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny - that's exactly what I was thinking!!!

:D

Seriously, my FrankenTele is kind of along these lines - I wanted a Tele which sounds the same up or down, so I have the '52 RI bridge and the unknown Strat-sized humbucker (9.6K) in the bridge which sounds very 'Hank Marvin' mid-period - big bass and very high treble response. This was a lucky accident.

If I want less treble, it's easy to cut it down at the amp, but it's difficult to boost what isn't there. These two pups give me what I need.

I put one of those cap/resistor combinations on the volume pot so I don't lose treble when I turn down the guitar volume.

This leads to a consistancy of tone between my rhythm and lead playing that isn't available otherwise.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Right on Geoff! and it bolsters the idea of resonance in a unplugged electric. My very best electrics have a definite and noticable difference in loudness and quality when played without the amp. I have Strats and LP's that are actually louder by comparison to other guitars. These instruments are without a doubt superior in tone and clarity.

Here\'s a link to a guitar like Pete's.

Actually, the body on my Tele is a 2-piece Ash and acoustically is very bright and vibrant. This certainly shows in the amplified tone.

The Frankenstrat is a different animal, built for a different reason. It's body is Alder - it's not so bright. The pups are not overly bright either, bridge & middle being DiMarzio SDS-1s, which are a bit heavier & darker than standard Strat Pups.

I have active electronics in that one, so the 'muddy' scenario isn't an issue as I turn down.

The Neck, though is a DiMarzio TDS-1, which is a beautiful pickup.

If anyone has a TDS-1 they are not needing, please let me know.

I also have treble bypasses on both vols of my Ibanez Studio.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

Hmm, and people think I'm crazy for buying guitars without plugging them in...

I do the same thing. IMO if it sounds good unplugged, it will sound good plugged in. And you can always change pups if need be.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

that is exactly how i try guitars. unplugged.

i want to hear the guitar not the amp.

i will hear that when i get home.

and as for pickups i like a nice balanced sound. don't pump the bass or mids by overwinding thankyou.

and alnico magnets, me no likey ceramic.

that is usually reserved for too hot a pickup that needs the highs returned.

Archived