Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey Valve King - Bang For the Buck Tube Amp

Tone Taster

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05/Content/Peavey/PR/Valve-King-Series-lg.jpg

I played through them today.

For 500 bones for a 100 W head all tube, it's hard to beat value wise

The Clean sounded a little dull and lifeless, but the distortion was good for both Crunch and semi-dirt.

It could use a little more bottom, but it's okay for the bread

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a repeat of a post I made a few months ago:

I was excited when the Peavey ValveKing came out since I was in the market for a new tube combo amp and there was much buzz about the new VK. I did some research and determined that these amps would be a good buy for my tone needs, so I ordered the 112 combo from an online dealer.

What I was looking for in amp was a warm, clean channel as well as a good distorted channel capable of plenty of gain. On with my story...

The first one I received sounded great at low to medium volumes (i.e., not a level high enough to play with a drummer) but it had a tremendous hum so I sent it back. The next one I received did not have the hum but when I opened the box, part of the reverb spring had come off and was loose in the amp, actually stuck to the speaker magnet.

I decided that I was gonna exchange the 112 for the 212. When I got the 212 there was a marginal hum but I thought it was reasonable so I decided to keep the amp as it sounded really good at low to medium volumes. Then I took it to rehearsal and was I in for a suprise.

The clean channel was horrible once I cranked the volume for two reasons: 1. A tremendous rumble/rattle causing all kinds of mechanical vibrations in the amp. This occured with the volume at ~3-4 on the clean channel. 2. There was the dreaded low-end farting present - I am assuming the speakers are really low-end, lame speakers and this is the reason. I also want to mention that the bass knob was only set at 5 and the Resonance knob was set to 4.

Now on to the distorted channel: this is where I had expected it to shine. But sadly, this sounded below average and very disappointing to me. While it sounded "killer" in the bedroom at home, it just sounded very unimpressive and limp when I cranked it at rehearsal in a large space.

I have since returned the amp for a refund. I have heard both the 112 and 212 combos and was very disappointed in the quality (loose reverb spring in one and a hum in the other) and the tone at volumes of ~halfway on the volume knobs. I opted not to pour additional $$ into replacing the speakers - perhaps they are great amps if you replace the speakers but I could get a better amp with the $$ I would have spent on replacement speakers.

From a disillusioned Peavey VK ex-owner.

Originally posted by JipThePeople:

Good luck with your search.

My amp search is over, Jip. I was just plugging in to it. I have 2 point to point wired marshall style heads and a Two rock emerald 50. More tone than i have ever dreamed of. No circuit boards and no need for distortion pedals as i get what i need out of the heads themselves.

I was just putting this post out there for anyone who is in the market.

I tested the head out, and it was quiet when cranked

Maybe they put their gusto into the head and jip the people on the combo

Originally posted by JipThePeople:

yZeCounsel - glad to hear you found the amp you were looking for. I was trying to save you from the grief I went through with the ValveKing.

I use 3 amps, i can't try just one. Thanks for looking out, though. Sounds like a pretty lame experience Peavey put you through

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

I have 2 point to point wired marshall style heads and a Two rock emerald 50. More tone than i have ever dreamed of. No circuit boards and no need for distortion pedals as i get what i need out of the heads themselves.

Hey yZe One, what Marshall style heads have you got?

I'm not in the market for amps at this point but I'm always interested in great Marshall tone.

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

I have 2 point to point wired marshall style heads and a Two rock emerald 50. More tone than i have ever dreamed of. No circuit boards and no need for distortion pedals as i get what i need out of the heads themselves.

I'm not in the market for amps at this point but I'm always interested in great Marshall tone.

I respectfully decline to disclose that information. Sorry

I'm waiting for my friends to get a few

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

I respectfully decline to disclose that information. Sorry

I'm waiting for my friends to get a few

That's cool (but aren't I your friend, too? :(:D ). Really, I respect that.

Archived