Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I wonder why we never talk about the Stones guitar players tone?

Dr. Ellwood

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

I guess you dagnabbed threadjackers must've never listened to their song "Gimme Shelter" then. That must be a simply awful way to go through life.

Yeah, it's just something aweful. :cry:

I'm sooo deprived. :freak:

:D

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rolling Stones?

Never heard of them.

Do they have a myspace page?

[/sarcasm]

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

<< Ron's soloing has really dropped off over the years, I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has arthritis or something. >>

Yeah. Last few live broadcasts I've seen I actually felt embarrassed for Wood. Some really lame soloing.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Originally posted by Scott Fraser:

Best Keith tone ever, IMO, was "Citadel". Never heard such commanding rhythm guitar presence since. I don't know their gear from that era, but I'm guessing an AC30 with maximum top boost.

Scott Fraser

Also from the same album, the much maligned Their Satanic Majesties Request - Keith's solo in 2000 Light Years From Home. :thu:

"It's the feel, and the sort of cleanish, touch-sensitive, attack-responsive semi-overdive that's often used for the guitars; AND the way all of the song's parts work together, tonally, rhythmically, and harmonically. (That's the sort of "arrangement" you meant, right?)"

Yep, that's what I meant!

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

I like Mick Taylors tone more than Keefs or Ron Woods.

Yup. Same here. :thu:
I liked everything about what he brought to the band.

That said... it was this period of creativity that I most appreciated but I did feel the sound shape of Some Girls suited the cuts very well.

Goats & Girls to my ears have something common going on but that may be just because I play them the most.

Other than that I find and found them inconsistant with regard to the sound of their guitar work.

For what it's worth:

I hate the word TONE and the vague way it's tossed about like some mystical catchall term that describes the unatainable. TONE is the name of the knob on that kitchen radio kicking out Hank Williams when I was a child.

Ya spin it this way or that and it gets thin or fat!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

<>

I think of it merely as a synonym for 'sound', & it's not magical nor unattainable at all. It's just the culmination of a number of factors that we all have access to including string choice, pick thickness, volume & tone settings on the guitar, amp choice, tone controls on the amp, pedal settings, & recording approach, etc. Timbre is a close synonym as well.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

How about some older Stones tunes?

I always liked the sound of both of the guitars on "Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown," particularly the one that plays the main riff (Keith, I think???).

And how about Brian Jones' tone on the main riff to "Last Time?" That's a pretty definitive rock guitar sound from that era if you ask me.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

The Stones in the early 60's (when they were still a cover band) were one of my Favs. When the Beatles hit they were a bit lame I thought - then Red Skelton brought the Stones to America and I knew that was MY BAND. Then the Animals was the next one I went ape over.

Listen to the Stones first album (England's Newest Hit Makers) for some great R&B - Brian and Keith were young and making a great sound... over the years people said "they're going down, Keith looks Dead, Ron Wood isn't cuttin' it anymore, etc.". The Stones don't have to prove anything to anyone - they already did 40 years ago. And if you were there in 1964 you know what I'm sayin' - Rock was YOUNG and they had a sound all there own.

"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

Talk about Rolling Stones and guitar tone...

Didn't Keef's riff on Satisfaction change the world of rock 'n roll? Not only the 3 notes of the riff but the fuzzed out tone as well. I mean we're talking back in 1965!

I've always loved the Stones. For some reason, Some Girls is one of my favorites. It brought the Stones back to the top of the charts in the late 70s and had so much great, driving rock music. Respectable, When the Whip Comes Down, Shattered, etc. Great guitar playing by both Keith and Ronnie... heck I can't really tell which is which!!!

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Originally posted by Mudcat:

How about some older Stones tunes?

I always liked the sound of both of the guitars on "Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown," particularly the one that plays the main riff (Keith, I think???).

Yeah, and there's all those odd tunes that they never followed up much on like "Have You Seen YOur Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow" (god but that's a long title), "Child Of The Moon", "Paint It Black" and so on. Even the album version of "Sympathy For The Devil" was a rather odd arrangement. Very Brian Jones with those tablas and all.

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

Is it true that that Killer clean tone on "start me up" is a tweed Twin?

Not sure about the amp, but I'm pretty confident the guitar Keith played was his early seventies black Telecaster Custom. That is the guitar I associate most closely with Keith, but he probably hasn't played the thing since 1985.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Joe Bbach:

I love the intros in a lot of the Stones songs on their new (not so new anymore) cd. Just plain old foot tappin rock and roll tones. That cd and the latest Allman bros cd have the guitar tones I never get sick of.

Both of those CDs have the guitars mixed very up-front and "in your face". Great stuff.

Archived