Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Cool Tube, The 12DW7/7247/ECC832

Ricochet

I just posted this over on http://music-electronics-forum.com/ and thought it might be of interest over here:

This is a very useful tube for a lot of amp applications, with one half of a 12AX7 and one half of a 12AU7 in the same envelope. JJ is currently making a version as the ECC832, and also offers a version with the sections reversed. It has no officially recognized international designation, but JJ calls it an "ECC823." I think it might be VERY interesting to harpers who want a lower gain tube in the first stage of an amp but don't need to drop two stages to such low gain as a 12AU7's. Or for anyone who needs a lower gain (and more current/power output) than a 12AX7 in a single stage. I'm sure you can think of many other situations where this combo would be very useful, such as a reverb drive and recovery tube.

Here is the JJ spec sheet for their version(s) of this tube: http://www.jj-electronic.sk/pdf/ECC%20832.pdf

:cool:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPeaking of these tubes, I use one in my Marshall combo, on mine, V1A is the clean side (12ax7) V1b (12au7)feeds the distortion channel V2 a&b(another 12ax7) and takes some of the buzz off of it. Sounds a bit more like a plexi.

I have an old NOS Philips USA, and an EI, the EI is a bit brighter, but the Philips is smooooth.

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

:cool: That's very interesting, Ric'! (And your use if it and described results are also cool, marvar.) That might be particularly cool coupled with one of those tube-gates (for sussing-out possible component value tweaking) that Myles recently posted about here...

On the other hand, it would make a decidedly terrible "phase inverter" tube in many amps that require a uniform response in both "sides" of the circuit (though possibly fine in those that don't)...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

On the other hand, it would make a decidedly terrible "phase inverter" tube in many amps that require a uniform response in both "sides" of the circuit (though possibly fine in those that don't)...

Yes, for guitar it would, but I've read that it is a secret weapon for harmonica players, to help get that really ragged, distorted sound they seem to prefer.
"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Phase inverters are a bit off topic, but many for guitar amps are built deliberately unbalanced. The circuit, not the tube. You get second harmonic distortion from that, which most players like.

Twin triodes normally come pretty closely matched as run-of-the-mine. This one's a glaring exception, but it's a special purpose tube (with many special purposes, if you use your imagination.)

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Phase inverters are a bit off topic, but many for guitar amps are built deliberately unbalanced. The circuit, not the tube. You get second harmonic distortion from that, which most players like.

Twin triodes normally come pretty closely matched as run-of-the-mine. This one's a glaring exception, but it's a special purpose tube (with many special purposes, if you use your imagination.)

Originally posted by marvar:

Yes, for guitar it would, but I've read that it is a secret weapon for harmonica players, to help get that really ragged, distorted sound they seem to prefer.

:cool: Yeah, you're right, you are correct, sirs! (That's why I put it, "in many amps that require a uniform response in both "sides" of the circuit (though possibly fine in those that don't)".) And, I thought- mistakenly, I see- that I might be the only one perverted enough to want to deliberately mis-match 'n' unbalance said circuits that-a-way... :freak::rolleyes::D

Originally posted by Picker:

Where can you get one?

Yess, precious... where izzitt? :freak::D:thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Google ECC832 and you'll see lots of places where you can buy the current JJ tube.

A friend over on http://music-electronics-forum.com/ (the new iteration of the old firebottle.com Ampage, soon to shut down) got all excited about the ECC832 and especially JJ's reversed one, the "ECC823." He E-mailed JJ to find out what dealers had bought them. The only one they mentioned was Eurotubes. Bet Bob's got it.

Archived