Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Slow Board??? EDIT: Router Suggestions???

BiC

Originally posted by Joe Bbach:

Originally posted by lee83:

The main problems I have had with various routers are..

Linksys: Poor support, the VPN routers dont actually fully support VPN, Poor signal, dropping the internet connection, the wireless crashing.

Netgear: Poor support, signal drop outs at short distances.

D-Link: All of the above.

Generic (Conexant based): These vary not from brand to brand but from unit to unit. They either work or they dont and the ones that do generally need rebooting every few days. Examples of generic routers are Safecom, Edimax, Systemax.

3com: Dont even go there.... They are probably the most unstable wireless routers ive worked with. (which is surprising from such a major company)

But if you want wireless id recommend getting whatever your ISP supports otherwise they either wont or are unable to give you tech support (as the people on the phone in India dont have fault diagrams for routers that they dotn specfically support, and they lack the technical knowledge to work blind)

I wonder, Lee, what your setup is. I have found that the router needs to be matched very well with the cable modem, if indeed that is what you have. Also, where the receiving computer is located makes a huge difference. I'm getting tremendous distance from a 108mbps setup.

As far as tech support, why would anyone call any kind of computer tech support? You do realize that tech support personnel most likely know less than you right? We have a national support center here that contracts with a lot of hardware and software companies and I can tell you, the kids they hire, wow. Well, not everyone can flip burgers. You will get a lot quicker and better support on one of the many computer/software forums on the internet. I also tend to buy locally even though internet shopping is cheaper because I can get returns or exchanges easier that way, sometimes even advice.

I notice when I run a scan that a number of my neighbors have wireless as well and a lot of them are not encrypted. It would be quite easy to steal bandwidth. But the odd thing is how strong the signal is. Houses in this neighborhood have decent size yards and I'm getting three to four strong signals from other houses around here. (That's kind of OT but I find it interesting)

The setup is never the same. My experience's have been gained over years of installing other peoples networks (corporate & home).... Its my job :) And no I cant flip burgers either. Internet tech support forums in my experience are a pointelss waste of time. If you already know as much as the person offering help as they ask you to try things you have already tried, when you tell them this they ask you to try it again.... Its the same but worse with telephone support.. But sometimes you need to call them up to get a setting or get them to do a line test etc etc.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by A String:

I used to recommend linksys to my customers because I read on the internet that they were the top rated routers. This was a few years back and I hadn't heard any bad reviews.

That being said, I have now heard some bad reviews from you guys. I will not recommend them anymore.

It's all subjective. I've heard terrible things about Netgears and I've also heard they are the best. I find that you have to talk to a lot of people and see what experience has shown to be the best. Just look at the disaster with ATI video cards.

My search goes on to find the top products. When I recommend or install a product, it has to be reliable because people tend to compare the reliability of the product with your reliability.

It seems to be since they got taken over by Cisco, they used to be pretty good.

Archived