Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Take It Slow

Tone Taster

Better to play something slowly and correctly rather than fast and wrong

Are you cutting your notes short and not letting them sustain properly over the beats?

Do you feel like you are rushing the tempo a little bit?

Is your pick "dragging" inadvertantly acroos the strings giving a "scratching noise when switching strings?

Is your finger leaving a note too soon before going to the next one

GET A METRONOME, Slow down the tempo to where it is truly humbling and embarassing AN PLAY IT RIGHT !!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no , i think you got it right (wise).

my avatar is none other than Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest. playing his custom Hamer.

the extended lower section is for laying against your leg to put the guitar in a proper postion for complicated licks.

i am (if you haven't guessed) a major Priest fan.

I've always been a fan of Judas Priest. Maybe not major.

I'm glad I didn't guess at that guitar, I would've gotten the make and model wrong.

Looks like they got the neck joint in the right position as well.

Nice guitar.

I've been wanting to try out a Hamer, but they never seem to have them at my GC.

Those bastard (GC, not Hamer).

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

Is your pick "dragging" inadvertantly acroos the strings giving a "scratching noise when switching strings?

Yes! Oh nooooo! How did you notice, is it hat obvious? :cry:

Truly, man. This is the best advice that can be given to players of any instruments.

...Back to the woodshed! Got to refine my alternate-picking string-crossing!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Better to play something slowly and correctly rather than fast and wrong

Are you cutting your notes short and not letting them sustain properly over the beats?

Do you feel like you are rushing the tempo a little bit?

Is your finger leaving a note too soon before going to the next one

GET A METRONOME, Slow down the tempo to where it is truly humbling and embarassing AN PLAY IT RIGHT !!!!

Good points.

One thing I want to add: do your best to play every single day. It's better to play for only an hour (or less if that's all you have) a day than to wait 5 days and play for 8 hours.

It's like the gym, I guess. I little everyday produces more results than a lot every now and then.

Originally posted by ellwood:

... my teachers always said rehearse slow, perform at written speed.

My teacher always told me to play it faster so it would be over sooner. :D

But seriously...what yZeCounsel and the rest of you are saying is very true. Practice does make perfect, so if you practice playing sloppy and making mistakes by playing faster than you're able to, you will become perect at playing sloppy with lots of mistakes.

Paul

Originally posted by pauldil:

Originally posted by ellwood:

... my teachers always said rehearse slow, perform at written speed.

My teacher always told me to play it faster so it would be over sooner. :D

But seriously...what yZeCounsel and the rest of you are saying is very true. Practice does make perfect, so if you practice playing sloppy and making mistakes by playing faster than you're able to, you will become perect at playing sloppy with lots of mistakes.

Paul

Since I have a mic, I've recently recorded my practices and it's helped a great deal. It's helping me in the slop dept.

So, I can't drag my pic across the strings anymore and make those scratchy noises? I like those. I also like to make squeaky noises with my fingers when moving over the strings.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Joe Bbach:

So, I can't drag my pic across the strings anymore and make those scratchy noises? I like those. I also like to make squeaky noises with my fingers when moving over the strings.

I believe everyone does it anyway, but why does it have to be like that on a consistent basis?

Do you want the scratchies and the squeakies on every tune and every note?

Here's another piece of important info to consider. I thought of it while having a PM conversation with ellwood.

Get plenty of rest. Practicing while tired isn't fun. It's a chore. When you're tired, your concentration level is kaput and you'll have a harder time retaining those things you practiced and your frustration tolerance is probably at its lowest.

If I'm tired, I find it's much better to rest and charge my batteries for an awesome practice the next day than to squander it on a not-so-great practice if I'm tired.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

i am ashamed to say this is the first time i have clued into what Yze (wise) was.....i am so stupid...

laugh at my stupidity...... :(

i am unworthy

Ditto dat! (except for the unworthy part :P )
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

I also like to make squeaky noises with my fingers when moving over the strings.

There is nothing worse to my ears than finger squeaks on an acoustic with reverb added. !>
It's kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard eh? I love it.

Actually I jest. Sorry yZe, I find this thread very humorous. Suddenly a post appears telling us all to slow down.

Kinda like my driving. I should just slow down. Maybe a metronome in my car would help. I love acceleration. Although I'm not a speeder on the highway as cruise control is a ticket saver.

bbach

Very good advice!

When I'm in the process of committing a piece to memory, I always play through it several times at a very slow setting as I read through it. Then put the score away and play through as far as I can from memory. Then I only use the score for parts that I couldn't play from memory, practicing only that part from the score until it's committed to memory also. This is all done at probably half the specified tempo. When I'm playing through from memory, I always look at my left hand.

What that does is firmly "program" the proper movements into muscle memory, and firmly implant in my brain the "visual" patterns. That way my muscle memory and my visual memory both have accurate programming for the movements and shapes. Then I can start to turn the metronome up a click at a time (as I can play through at each setting without mistakes) until I'm up to tempo.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Slowing down helps the consistency. When i sight read (reading pieces you have never heard or read ONLY ONCE THROUGH); I pick a tempo to where i can read & play the piece without having to redo a part that i just blew.

In other words i set the met slow enough to where I can play and read through the piece with no flaws in the first reading only 7 then i go to the next piece and do the same thing

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

I also like to make squeaky noises with my fingers when moving over the strings.

There is nothing worse to my ears than finger squeaks on an acoustic with reverb added. !>
It's kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard eh? I love it.

Actually I jest. Sorry yZe, I find this thread very humorous. Suddenly a post appears telling us all to slow down.

Kinda like my driving. I should just slow down. Maybe a metronome in my car would help. I love acceleration. Although I'm not a speeder on the highway as cruise control is a ticket saver.

So far your insights have proven to be pretty "unique" in light of all of the other posts.

So far your insights have proven to be pretty "unique" in light of all of the other posts.

Yea it's quite the sense of humor I have. Not an easy sense of humor to get along with. I'll certainly admit to that. No offense intended.

I just had to laugh out loud when I read your post. I was wondering if you suddenly had enough of all of us trying to play too fast and decided to scold us.

I don't know. Just struck my funny bone is all. I'll go take my pill now.

bbach

Seems to be a fairly universally accepted practice technique. Kinda cool to think that there is an army of us out here with something totally in common!
"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

i am ashamed to say this is the first time i have clued into what Yze (wise) was.....i am so stupid...

laugh at my stupidity...... :(

i am unworthy

Ditto. I only just twigged to it... :eek:

Born on the Bayou

Archived