Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jimmy Page - Hearbreaker Whole Lotta Love Video

rw2003

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm curious; Heart has a song called "Heartbreaker" yet I'm pretty sure it's not the same song. But I'm sure Heart must've been aware that Led Zeppelin had a song with the same name out since they once covered "Rock and Roll" live...

<>

No, sounds like a real off night, & his tone isn't up to par either. The whole problem I have with the Page-Plant enterprise is that it rather assumes that those two WERE Zeppellin. Comparing this clip to anything off the How The West Was Won collection makes it pretty apparent how important Jones & Bonham were to the chemistry.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

No doubt that Jones & Bonham were an important part of Zep's sound. However, I found nothing wrong with the playing of the bass guy and drum guy in this video. Page's playing was really bad though. I find that sad as he was one of my favorite players in the day. He was always kind of sloppy live. Once in awhile he would pull off some stuf that would put you back in your chair though. I think he's just better in the studio.
Wang

<>

No, they were just fine, but they were accompanying Page & Plant, rather than collaborating with them, as Bonham & Jones were. I felt that Bonham & Jones pushed & challenged Page & Plant, whereas these guys are very capable players, but also they are employees.

<< Page's playing was really bad though.>>

He reminded me too much of myself in this clip. Lot of fumbling for notes & not quite getting there.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Starcaster... Did Heart record a song called Heartbreaker? I don't know their catalog that well, but maybe you're thinking of Pat Benatar's Heartbreaker? That song was a big hit. Nice guitar work by Neil Geraldo.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Interesting that its Jason Bonham on drums. I always wondered why Led Zep didn't reform with him playing in for his dad.

You know, imo, this video ain't so bad... i just watched it again! Maybe its the recording, but I think Page's tone could have been a bit better. He seems to be using his regular backline of older Marshalls - wonder what the story was.

We need these guys to reform for a tour.

Originally posted by Scott Fraser:

He reminded me too much of myself in this clip. Lot of fumbling for notes & not quite getting there.

Scott Fraser

That's me, too. Fumblin, bumblin, rumblin, stumblin...He...could...go...all...the...way...but he doesn't!

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

<< I believe that video is from the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary Concert. John Paul Jones is playing bass and Jason Bonham is on drums. >>

Bass player seemed kinda young to be Jones, but I haven't seen him in a long time. Apparently when they were auditioning replacement drummers the one guy who came closest to replicating Bonham's feel & sound was Jason, but he was only a teenager at the time. If that is him in the clip, he's perfectly competent, but somehow just doesn't push Page & Plant quite like Bonham did. Then again, at this point, Page & Plant aren't what they used to be in '75 either.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpC6djbF86s&search=Jason%20bonham

Here's another video from the same show. Stairway to Heaven. Apparently it is John Paul Jones on bass and Jason Bonham on drums as Plant introduces them at the end of the clip.

Watch as Page is playing the solo on the 6 string side of his double neck guitar. It seems that he's reaching for a bit more tone/overdrive from his setup.

I'm embarrassed for them after that performance.

I had the wonderful opportunity to hang out in a bar with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (true story!) about 7 years ago. Page was distant, preoccupied and spacy the entire time. Plant OTOH, was lucid, friendly and entertaining. This performance kinda reminds me of that.

<>

Sure enough, that's as close to the real Zeppelin as can be had. But they really sound unrehearsed.

<>

It's as if his fingers just won't do what he's aiming for. At the end of the Stairway solo he shoots Plant a look that seems to acknowledge he's having a rough night. Too bad, I feel bad for all of them.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

<< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK-CCTlZ6z4&search=led%20zeppelin%20stairway%20to%20heaven

this is a really good live performance of stairway>>

The difference between this & the previously posted clip is staggering. Everything about this performance is just vastly better than the tired 90's revival. When they were good, they were great.

Interesting to hear Page play the last verse on the 12 string, overdriven. Great tone, & I believe, no pedals.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Right from the beginning of the second video you can hear how much better his clean tone is on the six-string neck. On the solo he actually has GAIN. In the first video, the tone on the solo is totally clean, thin, weak. I think a tech might have f'd up the setup.

Okay, First I have listened to ""Stairway" too many times in the last two days. This is so much better then the other posted version. Plant started the hip hugger craze that we see today. It is really cool to see the intro with no drums as tight as it is, and JPJ playing the flute part has been left out of the posts so far. He really does a great job. I was left with the impression that they were getting a little Grateful Dead in the intro. Ahhh, the sixties man. Overall I enjoyed this clip compared to the others! Tate

Heart did a song called "Heartless" I think. And did JPJ ever play a flute on "Stairway?" I know he played it on a keyboard, but didn't know he played flute. He was a pretty good mandolin player too.
"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Archived