Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: It was going to happen eventually (Stickies)

Ricardo.

I would like to address some issues with stickies.

While there has been an abundance of them recently (the recipe one being among the more dubious) I have no large complaint against them, as they don't really crowd out the other topics much.

What I do have an issue with is the passive ignoring of posts in sticky topics. I will liken it to communism vs. capitalism. Because the sticky topics will stay on the top regardless of whether they're posted in or not, they are often ignored and go unaddressed. Conversely, the topics that aren't sticky are addressed much faster. For example, the extremely helpful Ask Myles topic always resurfaced from other pages because Myles is such a damned smart man.

I have posted questions in both the share music thread and the lick/clip thread and the two have gotten only a few posts since then.

But, I'm bringing up a problem without offering a viable solution. So there you are.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Starcaster, you only have two posts in the Sticky lick thread. Out of those two only ONE asked a question on the Master of Puppets thing and apparetly now body had alternative fingering on it to share. SO we have a chance for a test case here, post the same question on a regular post and see what the response will be..it's a good test is it not?

The recipe thread has its admirers and its objectors. It causes no harm, but will likely not last long. Roll Call and Ask Myles are sticky as well. One of the main benefits of stickies is that Spam has a place to go.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

The focus of my issue with stickies is not that they're crowding out things, but that they aren't as addressed as a normal topic that jumps up to the top with every post.

For example, Griffinator posted a clip of his playing as a separate topic instead of in the official thread. He got at least 11 replies to his question (he wasn't just asking people to listen).

Conversely, Xplorer's posted two videos of his playing and it's gone unaddressed.

My intent isn't to admonish people for this; they're free to reply and not reply as they wish. My worry is that because they are sticky, and do not change position when someone else posts in them, they often recieve less posts than it would as a separate topic.

So, I guess all I really want is more use of the sticky topics. But while it may spike because of this topic, it will eventually normalize and return to its status. So I don't know :)

Continue with your religious/political discussions. Maybe talk about some guitar ;)

Well what happens on the Stickey lick thread is you get PM's about them, I have tons of responce val PM. For one thing when you post tab and a soundclip with it there are always comments and corections or general comments on it. That may be why you think there is limited responce but the main thrust of that thread is teaching not evaluation of playing.

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Just post a political comment in the recipe thread and it will disappear......

JUST KIDDING!!!! :D

Political recipes will not be tolerated! :P
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived