Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

meeting famous people

Gifthorse

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
King's X Ogretones is thier best album in 12 years. It rocks. I love that song 'Open my Eyes' (super intense) and 'Mudd' 'getaway' have beautiful harmonies. After hearing it a few times it totally grew on me. Open my Eyes has the total trademark King's X progression that makes complete sense over time. That to me is thier trademark, they start you with something unlikely and prove to you that they can not only make a song out of it but a good one that sounds like nobody else. They take some time to absorb sometimes, but the solo on Mudd is incredible. One of the best rock solos I have heard this year. The solo just sounds legendary when you hear it. Fits the song like a glove with tons of emotion.

met Sharleen Spiteri when I was about 16 (so was she) my mate played bass in a local band and was friends with another local band who were Texas, kicked about with them over the next year to 18 months until I left home all of them very cool and very ordinary. apart from her who was and still is drop dead gorgeous. She was lovely.

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Joe Bbach:

We brought in The Ozark Mountain Daredevels one time and they were a total bunch of pricks.

That's a pity. I really love some of their stuff.
I met Buddy Brayfield, the keyboard player for the Daredevils, after he left the band to become an osteopath. He wasn't a bad guy when I met him. Maybe he lost the star attitude by then or something. He came over and jammed with a bunch of the local yokels (including me) and was very willing to talk. I thought he was nice enough.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

I met Bozo the clown once..

Wow, I once met a guy who used to be Ronald McDonald, He'd quit by then and was a waiter in a cafe.
How could any sane person pass up a chance to be Ronald McDonald? All the free hamburgers and Chinese vegetarian salads you could possibly want to eat!

This might be a little off topic, but my Amp met the band War.

They were playing here in Belleville and needed a JC-120 for the harp player. I lent them my amp for some free tickets. It was cool seeing my amp performing the classics on stage. Knowing Low Rider was blasted out through my half stack makes me feel warm and cozy inside. LOL.

Anyway, my gear gets more gigs than I do.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I have always been the guy that knows a guy who knows a guy. :D One of my friends is one of those guys that has been friends with alot of 'famous' people like John Otto, Some old blues guys I cant remember, Jason Lee, various relations who are famous but he never managed it himself.. and another friend used to work as a pro sound tech so worked with alot of so called 'famous' people... like Rick Wakeman, The keyboard dude out of Yes, Van the man (who is apparently a complete a$$) and a few more names he's bored me with.

Errrmmm Supergrass sat in a cafe on the table next to me at Heathrow once.... Thats scraping the barrell though... Although it was funny when I pointed them out to the missus and she said "Stop taking the pee out of that guys sideburns" "erm no dear thats supergrass"

I dont get to impressed by the whole famous people thing... They are just people after all.

A more interesting question could be, who would you like to meet who is famous (dead or alive).. and what would you ask them. I would probably like to meet Jimi and i'd ask him how he does those bass line fills between chord changes.. Because I can never get it spot on.

I was abused by Billy Connolly once. :D

What happened was that he was on tour in Australia and his hotel was in this touristy red light district place called Kings' Cross.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I were getting brunch there there one Saturday morning and I was sitting at an outside table noodling on her acoustic when a bunch of Brit packbackers came round. So we started passing the guitar around and joking and all that stuff.

Anyway, after a while one of the guys notices Billy Connolly walking by on the other side of the street and calls out to him to "come gie usss a sonnnng, Billy".

And this guy was from Norfolk and had what sounded like a bad pisstake of a Scottish accent, and Billy thought we were taking the piss and so he stood on the other side of the road and abused the shit out of us all for about 5 minutes.

it was quite bizarre having this complete stranger yelling at me, he's never seemed quite as funny since :D

Lessee...

James Coco, very gracious. Robert Altman, wouldn't speak to me. The Everly Brothers - Phil, a bit distant but nice, Don, very warm and friendly - I think that's just their personalities. Mick Fleetwood, very friendly and gracious but his wife was not. Buddy Guy, great. Eric Johnson - I saw him in a music store in Austin and was too shy to say anything but he was very friendly and down-to-earth with everybody else.

(later) Oh, and my very first celeb meeting, when I was 15, F. Lee Bailey. Who was a total dick.

I've met members of Fear Factory, Slayer, System Of A Down, sepultura, NIN, Machine Head, Slipknot, Monster Voodoo Machine... ok, now I'm scraping!
What a horrible night to have a curse.

Ok, I promised myself I wouldn't start a list, lest other industry pros start their own lists and the next 5 posts take 5 pages of thread. ;)

But two of my favorite encounters were when I was a kid.

When I was 7 or 8 years old we attended Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus at the Rosemont Horizon just outside Chicago. They always made a special seat available to Don Kohler, then the tallest living man at 8'2" tall. We were waiting in a crowd to get in and saw Don 12ft. away. I was a tiny kid, so I slipped between adults' legs to meet him and ask for an autograph, but when I arrived I took one look up at his massive size and chickened out. :rolleyes: I wish I'd said hello.

The other was a year or two later. My parents were invited to buy a timeshare suite at the Playboy Club near Lake Geneva, WI. We stayed in a room there for the weekend and I met Hal Linden at the pool. (He was performing in their nightclub.) As an ardent Barney Miller fan I was floored to meet him.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Okay, I`ve told this story before but...I went to a `master class` with Larry Coryell some years ago, this was a pretty small group and I was able to talk with him. His son Murali was there too (a good blues player in his own right). Well at the time I didn`t have a decent guitar and the only thing I could find was my little brother`s piece of crap nylon string acoustic, which he called `barely a guitar`. Larry called people up two by two to play, on rhythm and lead and then switch positions. We were using two little amps and I couldn`t plug in the acoustic so I borrowed someone`s guitar and Larry hung on to mine while I played. He had some good things to say about my lead playing but said `hang on a minute` about my rhythm. While I had been playing he started fiddling around on the little acoustic and before he handed it back to me he did this beautiful chord progression that John Mclaughlin had shown him. then he gave me back the guitar and said, "Hey that little thing`s not bad." Then he took his guitar and illustrated what he meant about my rhythm, started doing alternating bass lines along with chords on the top strings. Oh yeah I`ll get back to you in a decade or two about that. But I still have that little guitar, every time I think I should give it to someone or a school that needs a guitar, I think, that`s the only guitar I have that has been played-and liked-by Larry Coryell. But what a nice guy, his son was really cool too.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Got to talk with Dimebag and Vinnie Paul a couple of times. Very nice guys.

I sold a box of nails to Rutger Hauer.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Haga:

Sorry, but I couldn't hand a sharp object to Rutger Hauer.. and certainly not a box of sharp objects! :eek:

This is Rutger Hauer as a killer android in Blade Runner:

http://www.enricobrizzi.net/brizzi/images/storie02.jpg

There's a memorable scene in which he appears to french kiss a scientist instead biting the man's tongue off. Yucccchhh! :freak:

He's played a lot of creepy characters.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

HardTail, that's so cool that you got to meet Terrible Ted Lindsay!

I used to work at the Buffalo Hilton, and I met a lot of celebrities. Some were outgoing and friendly, some were distant, some were complete tools, and some were in between. I met U2 during the "War" tour, and they were much more friendly, funny, and down to earth than I expected based on their serious content of their records and videos. While I'm not a huge fan of his music, Bryan Adams was the nicest celeb I met; he liked my WWII-era leather bomber jacket and we talked for roughly a half hour about pretty much anything but music. On the other hand, the guys in Journey were some of the most arrogant jerks who came through the hotel.

As far as non-musicians go, while some celebs kept a very low profile, Robert Duvall was extremely extroverted and friendly. I talked to Wilford Brimley a lot and he is exactly like you would think he would be; he dismissed one of his movies, John Carpenter's "The Thing", as "a crappy, f***in' splatter film." Plus, I almost knocked over Morgan Fairchild when she was walking in a door I was walking out of. She was way shorter and hotter (i.e., less plastic looking) in real life than she appears on TV. I met all three when they were in town, filming "The Natural."

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

I don't know who Rutger Hauer is, but WHAT KIND OF NAILS DID YOU SELL HIM???

Finishing nails. He was installing some moulding.

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Sorry, but I couldn't hand a sharp object to Rutger Hauer.. and certainly not a box of sharp objects! :eek:

There's a memorable scene in which he appears to french kiss a scientist instead biting the man's tongue off. Yucccchhh! :freak:

Yeah, then there was that one movie where he got it on with Cindy Crawford. I mean, he had her tits out and everything! :P I kept wanting to ask how a creepy old fat dude like him got that gig.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

I have posted that i kicked around for a while with members of Texas but to be honest (and thinking about it a bit more) probably the most famous person I have met would be members of the Royal family.

Met princess Anne at a military function, she was ok, and was presented my 91 Gulf war medal by Princess royal Sarah Ferguson who i have to say stayed in our company for an afternoon and was nothing short of a real nice down to earth person.

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Yeah, then there was that one movie where he got it on with Cindy Crawford. I mean, he had her tits out and everything! :P I kept wanting to ask how a creepy old fat dude like him got that gig.
He played a blind swordsman in one film, and a counterterrorist, with Gene Simmons as the bad guy, in another. Both were pretty well done I thought.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yeah... but that is definitely playing against the grain from his early career. ;) I'm guessing he'd made a conscious choice to find different roles after the umpteenth script with a menacing character came across his desk. Typecasting is a double edged sword. Easy(ier) income vs. challenging yourself and gaining new admiration from the public.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah... but that is definitely playing against the grain from his early career. ;)

Well, and he HAS aged as well. These days he plays chubby everyman types in the autumn of their lives.

Maybe he'll age into being a Max Von Sydow type. The movies always need that type.

Archived