Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Gilmour's solo album

Gifthorse

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Windjammer:

Funnyily enough I saw this album, and nearly bought it, but figured that I need to listen to more Pink Floyd before delving into solo stuff, but now I regret it.

Next time I'm buying the CD.

What Floyd have you heard? You have to get yourself copies of "Dark Side Of The Moon", "Animals" and "The Wall". great albums to get you started.

Originally posted by A String:

Funnyily enough I saw this album, and nearly bought it, but figured that I need to listen to more Pink Floyd before delving into solo stuff, but now I regret it.

What Floyd have you heard? You have to get yourself copies of "Dark Side Of The Moon", "Animals" and "The Wall". great albums to get you started.
"Dark Side of the Moon" is the only Floyd album I've had for a while. Relatively recently I got "Animals" - with that cover couldn't resist.

But yeah thanks for the recommendation, will have to get "The Wall". Never heard it 'cept the single.

I like Metal too. Echos is a long song but it has some cool shit.

I remember some guy I used to know told me if I turned echos on at this certain point at the end of 2001 a space odyssey it is supposed to follow the movie perfectly. It was pretty cool.

I am sure you have all heard about the Wizard of Oz one also. i think that one goes with Dark Side of teh Moon. I remember being skeptical until I saw the 2001 one and I thought, whether or not it is supposed to be like that (I am sure it isn't) it does fit like a glove.

"Dark Side of the Moon" is the only Floyd album I've had for a while. Relatively recently I got "Animals" - with that cover couldn't resist.

But yeah thanks for the recommendation, will have to get "The Wall". Never heard it 'cept the single.

Do yourself a favour and grab a copy of "The Wall" on DVD as well. It is a fantastic interpretation of the album, done in a very abstract way. Most English teachers I've met consider it a masterpiece.

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

get yourself copies of "Dark Side Of The Moon", "Animals" and "The Wall". great albums to get you started.

That's all you need, no doubt.
Yeah, I figure it's a great start. I'd add "Meddle" and "Wish You Were Here" to that list too, but those ones are certainly the "Must have" albums if you are a Pink Floyd fan.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Meddle, thats right. I always forget that spelling..

Dude I was seriously blown away by the new Gilmour album. It really sounds like Floyd. Some excellent songs, all very listenable. Incredible airy mix. Some AMAZING solos.

You've got me sold. I hope to grab a copy next week.

I got copies of David's "David Gimour" and "About Face" album at a local record store and they are both, in my opinion, brilliant. Proving once again, that you don't have to play a billion notes a second to be amazing.
Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

The live album, Delicate Sound of Thunder, is soooo awesome in my opinion, no Waters tho.

The ones you guys listed are obviously the must haves, every song is great. But I also love, Obscured by Clouds and Atom Heart Mother...most are awesome songs but there are a couple ones too odd for me.

Havent heard the new solo album but will pick it up in the next couple of weeks I am sure.

On what Floyd albums are essential, "wish you were here" album is tremendous, for me rivals "Dark side" and "the Wall". I also enjoy the "The final Cut"

Floyd without Waters is like tea without milk, just not as good.

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan. I was lucky to see David Gilmour live at Royal Albert Hall, London, last May. I think he has done a good work with his new album.

I would recommend you to listen to the first Pink Floyd album, The Piper At The Gates Of Down, where Syd Barrett wrote most of the music and lyrics. I think it's one of it's best.

Here are some photos I took there:

http://www.pigsonthewing.net/imagenes/noticias/RoyalAlbertHallGilmour2006.jpg

http://www.pigsonthewing.net/imagenes/noticias/DavidGilmourConcert.jpg

http://www.pigsonthewing.net/imagenes/noticias/DavidGilmourConcert2.jpg

http://www.pigsonthewing.net/imagenes/noticias/DavidGilmourConcert3.jpg

http://www.pigsonthewing.net/imagenes/noticias/DavidGilmourConcert4.jpg

Waters wasn't nearly as big a part of Floyd as he thought he was. Call it my own prejudice, but I cannot abide egomaniacs, and Waters is definitely one of those. All the lousy stunts he pulled after he left the band, and all the crummy things he said about them made me think very poorly of the guy.

And, the hallmark of his tunes is a hopeless, depressive, fatalistic outlook. I was surprized the guy didn't commit suicide years ago. I mean, he wrote lyrics like "and then one day you an old old man, all alone, and dying of cancer", and that's just one of many of the sort. Floyd's music brightened considerably after he left, and it needed to.

In my opinion, Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell didn't suffer at all from Waters' absense, and the live albums they made from their tours are bloody marvelous. I don't miss Waters in their music at all.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Don't forget "Wish You Were Here". Welcome To The Machine is a great song.

Are you guys talking about "On An Island"?

Born on the Bayou

Yeah...I kinda like David Gilmore's playing (eyeroll). Even 30 years after his most brilliant arrangements were released, he's still not totally accepted by the mainstream critics. It sickens me. The reviews for both of his more recent solo albums were met with prejudice I think, because of his refusal to tour again and make the recording and music industry billions in sales and marketing. I apologize for mixing religeon (Gilmore is God) and politics (the recording industry) in this post, but damn...

Hairy

Kerry

Originally posted by Picker:

Waters wasn't nearly as big a part of Floyd as he thought he was. Call it my own prejudice, but I cannot abide egomaniacs, and Waters is definitely one of those. All the lousy stunts he pulled after he left the band, and all the crummy things he said about them made me think very poorly of the guy.

And, the hallmark of his tunes is a hopeless, depressive, fatalistic outlook. I was surprized the guy didn't commit suicide years ago. I mean, he wrote lyrics like "and then one day you an old old man, all alone, and dying of cancer", and that's just one of many of the sort. Floyd's music brightened considerably after he left, and it needed to.

In my opinion, Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell didn't suffer at all from Waters' absense, and the live albums they made from their tours are bloody marvelous. I don't miss Waters in their music at all.

Picker I get what your saying about the Waters yes he is bad news with a lot of egotistical crap, but I really feely the albums you mentioned are a fair bit poorer for the lack of waters. Divison Bell for me is only average and havent heard any new ground breaking music from them since his departure.

Together they made amazing music, seperately just missing that thing that made them great.

I can also agree Waters did get lost in morbid part of the war etc... still some amazing stuf came out of it.

No Waters no "Wall" that cant be good.

Anyway nice to dicuss the finer points of the Floyd. :D

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Nobody likes Gilmour more than me....but Waters came up with most of the concepts, 99% of the lyrics and most of the music. It was Waters' vision that made Pink Floyd.

Listen to "The Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking" and then listen to "About Face." Which sounds more like a Pink Floyd record?

Dave's new record is very good but I was hoping for something a bit more middle of the road.

My thoughts on the disc from a post back in March.

Coming from one of Dave's biggest fans I would not call this his finest work. It has a feel of a cross between Obscured By Clouds and Divison Bell. It also has the feel of a record made by somebody for himself. Not that that's a bad thing....I just felt a bit "left out".

"Castellorizon" the instrumental is good but still subpar when compared to "Let's Ger Metaphysical" from About Face. Here Dave ventures into more dissonant territory than is normal.

"On An Island"...is a nice tune with that dreamy quality that Gilmour is known for. With the expected Dave "soloing in movements." And Rick Wright on Hammond lends a familar and welcome touch.

"The Blue" gets a bit too dreamy. Acoustic guitar and harmonica and a lazy beat by Andy Newmark handle most of the chores. Rick Wright adds some vocal support. At ~2:52 Dave's guitar chimes in and is quite welcome. He's up in the stratosphere with the help of what sounds like a wammy pedal. About 3 minutes of guitar take the song to conclusion.

"Take A Breath" Starts out with the dissonant E major to Dsus2 / Dminor see-saw. It's the only tune on the album that could be considered a rocker. But the dischord of the guitars vs. the vocal seems a bit out of place to my ears.

"Red Sky At Night" Finds Dave trying his hand at saxophone over string pads. It's seems more of an odd sub 3 minute intro to..

"This Heaven"... Acoustic guitar riff dominates around a vocal part that seems almost culled from "What Do You Want From Me?" Acoustic guitar shadows the vocal during the chours. Electric takes over from time to time. Has an old school bluesy feel.

"Then I Close My Eyes"...Is that a banjo? Waves wash in the background giving way to strat tones and a Dobro like acoustic. In short a dreamy instrumental.

"Smile"...Sounds like it could have fallen off of Obscured By Clouds. The vocal is quiet and very dry for Dave. Acoustic guitar and slide dominate here. Long time mate Wille Wilson provides drums.

"A Pocket Full Of Stones." ...Goes through many movements. I'm not even sure how to describe it.

"Where We Start." More acoustic guitar and piano for foundation. Has a bit of a "Wots...Uh The Deal" feel.

I'm a Dave fan (one of my first concerts was his solo tour for About Face); I like Floyd with and without Waters. However, I'm not thrilled with this album. I agree with the statement that it seems liek an album made for himself; which in a way I can respect. But overall I found the album a yawn. "Take a Breath" and "This Heaven" are the only ones that have anything close to energy and dynamics. For what it is, I guess it's an ok album; but too mellow and scant for me to say I love it and have it in constant rotation.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by Pappy P:

Originally Posted by SlyFoxx:

Nobody likes Gilmour more than me....

You sir are wrong.

Please met the ultimate David Gilmour Fan...

Yours Truly.

And to prove it I will be running out this afternoon to buy: On an Island.

No, you are both wrong. He is my favourite guitar player and, given a choice, I would watch him over any other player. David Gilmour Rocks! :wave:

Archived