Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about some Van Halen tunes..

PeeMonkey

Since I got my 5150 I've been on a Van Halen craze and have been trying to learn some Van Halen tunes. I read somewhere he tuned his B string Flat, anyone know which songs he does this?

Also which songs does he use Drop D on, my floyd is a pain in the butt so I want to just get a song list of things in Drop D so I dont jump around too often.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Unchained" is in drop D, 1/2 step down, I think.

Edited to add:

I'm doing the Van Halen thing as well. Working on "I'm The One" and it ain't easy. :freak:

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

"Van Halen developed a technique of flattening his B string slightly so that the interval between the open G and B is a perfect, beatless third." from Wikipedia

Here's a link into Wikipedia that explains it. Goto sec 3.2 Tuning for details...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Van_Halen

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

That damn B string. It's been a thorn in my side for years. If it's tuned correctly, an open D chord sounds beautiful, but barre the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings on, say, the 9th fret, and what's that? Oh, it's that damn B string again, sounding sharp :mad: I think it's an inherent flaw in the design of guitars.

I think the Buzz Feiten tuning system combats this phenomenon. Since I just got a new tuner that's Buzz Feiten-compatible, I'm going to be looking into putting it on my PRS & Strat so I don't have to worry about it anymore :D

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Originally posted by DC Ross:

I think the Buzz Feiten tuning system combats this phenomenon. Since I just got a new tuner that's Buzz Feiten-compatible, I'm going to be looking into putting it on my PRS & Strat so I don't have to worry about it anymore :D

I'd be interested to know how that works out for you.

Originally posted by rw2003:

"Van Halen developed a technique of flattening his B string slightly so that the interval between the open G and B is a perfect, beatless third." from Wikipedia

Here's a link into Wikipedia that explains it. Goto sec 3.2 Tuning for details...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Van_Halen

I've been doing that almost since I began playing guitar over thirty years ago. At first I just thought there was something wrong with my frets and I just did it as a work around. Then as I bought and traded more guitars I figured it was just something you had to deal with. I currently have a Washburn with the Buzz Feiten system, but I still have to tweak it a bit. In a sense, I just tweak the tuning to whatever I am playing. If I am going to be playing a lot barre chords around the 9th fret, I'll grab the barre chord and tune as I am holding it. I don't depend on electronic tuners except to quickly get me close to the tuning. I manually do the fine tuning and each guitar seems to be a little different.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Archived