Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS ATTACK - Martin's DX1

J J

Yesterday I went up to the bigger music store we have in erie and was try out their Martins. I tried every one they had there without even looking at the price. There was one model that stuck out from the rest for me and that was the DX1. I liked the tone because it had so much bottom to it without loosing a good high end. I looked at the price, and what do you know, it was the cheapest one they had! 500$! I wasn't even thinking about buying anything when I went in, especially a Martin. I was just trying things out.

Anyway, I'm pretty much fixed on buying this model sooner or later but the only thing that concerns me is that the top doesn't have any finish. Is this hazardous to the guitar? I've read somewhere that the wood can suck in a lot of bad dust and things and that it can get chipped easier, but just HOW easy will it?

Lookin to get something better than my campfire beater Alvarez.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<

On the other hand there are those who feel that the finish dampens the tone, so you pick the instrument that feels & sounds right & don't worry about the technical details. I think that model is most laminates, so it should be sturdy, if maybe lacking tonal subtlety.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

The top is finished, it's just not a high gloss finish. It'll actually pick up more of a "sheen" in places where your arm/shirt rubs up against it.

cool!

now I'm deffinitally going to get it

nothing like the look of a worn in martin :love:

be careful tho i had a gig and one of my guitar players was helping me pick up my drums (i play guitar bass and drums for over 10 years each ) and the hi hat stand fell on it and made a huge scratch i was furious if you can imagine it was less than a month old....any ways the guitar is amazing it plays great but the neck has a different feel to it o and look around for deals at say a samash if you spend over 399 i got a free guitar lol

Archived