Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way off topic?

Big Red 67

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

probably not like most modems its just crashed.

It is terrible that something is produced and 3 months later its superseeded and you have torched the majority of your cash. These companys know how to make us part with our cash, make it shiny, have buttons and call it new.

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

I can relate. I have one DSL modem and two Cable modems here for a grand total of around $1600 worth of modems. All three of them are completely useless and are sitting around collecting dust.

Maybe I could try the bottle opener thing so that I get some use out of them...

Originally posted by The Big G:

probably not like most modems its just crashed.

I think what BiC meant was, did it work as a beer bottle opener? We don't care how it worked as a modem. :D

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Yes it worked great. It would work as a modem too if it wasn't out of date. That is the thing, too many things becoming out dated even before we buy them. :mad:

Yea. We updated our cable modem because the cable company told us they had much faster speeds now than the old modem could handle. Once updated, we found our old wireless to be out of date for the new speeds as well and had to update that. There's no end.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I'm just screaming down the pipe at 42.5kbps!

Howlin'

Just Firkin' Howlin'

Wwho knew the internet in my area was run on smoke signals

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Pisses me off. None of this stuff is really ready to market, the manufacturers do it because the speed of industrial ripoffs has has also increased. I had a

cordless phone, the battery pack ran out so I went to several places-no pack with the same number. I called the catalog company: " Oh, that model has been discontinued." I said, "Well that`s okay I don`t need another phone, just tell me where I can replace the battery pack." They said, "Have you tried e-batts?" Oh now wait a minute they stopped making the BATTERY TOO? how stupid is that? so I now have a totally useless phone handset sitting in a plastic bag, if I yell into it I can use the speakerphone.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I have a laptop where the battery is starting to get old and they no longer make them. Thankfully there is the mobile battery option for it.

It's the pile of computer stuff I own that really gets me. I have a shopping bag full of ram. Right from the old style to the SD. I remember paying, in the neighbourhood of, $75 for each one of those sticks. Now they are just sticks in a bag.

I have several CPUs that I paid hundreds of dollars for each. Now, well the little pins on them make them great for scratching your back.

I have old cases. Old power supplies. Old mother boards. Two boxes of outdated Video, Sound, Network and SCSI cards.

I know it was worth thousands and thousands of dollars. Now, it's just junk. I can't even bring myself to throw them out because of there original value...

Interesting evolution of garbage...

I've been working directly in the computer field for over 20 years and collected mountains of crap that I thought I'd use.

There was this large collection of bridges, pickguards, tuners, stomp boxes, home made effects, cables, pickups, pots, nuts, bolts & sinks....

I put the guitar crap on Ebay and it returned a good stack of greenbacks... :thu:

The computer collection (for all its' impressive display of power and ability) went to the dump! :rolleyes:

The difference a year makes!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Building PC's out of old crap is infuriating. Its quite easy to get enough second hand bits to build ten PC's and i betchya you'll only get 3 solid, stable working PC's. Then the CPU fan goes on one of them and oh no you cant get fans that size anymore... or even worse its intergrated onto the Intel P2 or P3 and there isnt a cat in hells chance of getting the f'n thing off without mullering something.... but its ok because you cant buy the replacement heatsinks to take a new fan anyway.

I really hate building up second hand PC's. Especially when some of my suppliers are selling off ex corporate P4/K8 pc's for about £60 each with a Windows COA.

Archived