Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help! Niece wants me to play solo at her wedding.

BriBaby

My niece is getting married in a little over a month. She has asked me to play at the ceremony. It is outdoors, a small place, no power. I have a 12 string that will probably work the best for the situation. When I asked her what she wanted, she replied Here Comes the Bride. I reckon that there will have to be something else for the rest of the party while they walk down the aisle.

Anyway, has anyone ever done a gig like this? Lone guitarist playing Here Comes the Bride, etc? Does anyone have a good source (read free) for any solo type songs? Cannon in D, The Wedding Song, The Wedding March, etc. in tab form?

Any help would be mucho appreciatto.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've played a wedding or two in my time....it's not a bad gig.

A couple of good songs:

Pachibel's Canon in D

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, J.S. Bach, (Cantata No. 147)

The Sheep May Safely Graze, J.S. Bach

Romanza, anonymous

Joyful, Joyful, We adore Thee, Beethoven

Do you already know any of these? Do you have a Classical guitar?

A month is not a lot of time to learn a wedding repertoire...how many songs to you need to play? I have a lot of this kind of stuff in standard notation, but I don't have TAB. Have you done a google search on guitar tablature?

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I have played Cannon as a duet before, I do have a classical, but I think the 12 string would project better and be fuller no? Have done a search for some of these songs, I am going to try again then might just have to hit the music store to see what they have.

Originally posted by BriBaby:

I have played Cannon as a duet before, I do have a classical, but I think the 12 string would project better and be fuller no? Have done a search for some of these songs, I am going to try again then might just have to hit the music store to see what they have.

Well, to me anyway (FWIW), the tone of a Classical is more suited to wedding repertoire. I would suggest mic'ing it through a PA for an outdoor venue. Also, some of these pieces are rather intricate fingerstyle pieces....I'd hate to try to pull it off under pressure on a 12-string. Even if you use a 12-string, I would suggest using a PA, or acoustic amplifier. Outdoors, the tone of an unamplified acoustic can be a little flat and dry and doesn't really project all that well, unles you're in like a courtyard or something with some walls around you to reflect some of the sound back to the center. With a PA, you can tweek and add some reverb and make it much better.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Well, to me anyway (FWIW), the tone of a Classical is more suited to wedding repertoire. I would suggest mic'ing it through a PA for an outdoor venue. Also, some of these pieces are rather intricate fingerstyle pieces....I'd hate to try to pull it off under pressure on a 12-string. Even if you use a 12-string, I would suggest using a PA, or acoustic amplifier. Outdoors, the tone of an unamplified acoustic can be a little flat and dry and doesn't really project all that well, unles you're in like a courtyard or something with some walls around you to reflect some of the sound back to the center. With a PA, you can tweek and add some reverb and make it much better.
Good advice Sas.

You can rent a small P.A. (You'd just need the smallest one they carry), for very reasonable prices.

Originally posted by A String:

Doh! I just re-read your first post where it says, quite clearly, "no power".

Ignore my previous post...

Yeah, unfortunately that is the case........don't have the money to rent a battery powered job either. :(

I realize the 12 string will be harder for the right hand to pluck, but still think it will project more sound than the nylon string classical. It should sound fuller imho. Supposedly it is a small courtyard at MSU. She only has room for about 80 people.

Anywho, thanks for the input.

Also, A string, congrats on the Mod position, your posts and level head make you an excellent choice. You have always been very helpful to me.

Also, A string, congrats on the Mod position, your posts and level head make you an excellent choice. You have always been very helpful to me.

Thanks BriBaby. :)

I know you'll sound good at the wedding no matter what you wind up bringing. I'm quite fond of a 12 string myself. If you can pull it off on a 12 string, no reason why you shouldn't.

I think the 12 string would sound grander (and certainly project better than most 6's) for Here Comes The Bride. You just need to play it as a chord melody piece. Can't say I have a version like that, though.

If I may make a suggestion regarding the PA.

I have an old RS boombox I bought in 1983 or '84 that has RCA inputs. It won't carry quite so well as a PA, but I'd use my Korg Pandora into the Boom box for extra output.

Can you come up with something along those lines?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I think the 12 string would sound grander (and certainly project better than most 6's) for Here Comes The Bride. You just need to play it as a chord melody piece. Can't say I have a version like that, though.

If I may make a suggestion regarding the PA.

I have an old RS boombox I bought in 1983 or '84 that has RCA inputs. It won't carry quite so well as a PA, but I'd use my Korg Pandora into the Boom box for extra output.

Can you come up with something along those lines?

That's a great idea. Just some battery operated thing to help carry the sound a little bit.

If he placed it in front, it should be far enough away to avoid feed back. You'd have to play around with it a bit, but I bet you it would work.

Thank you to those who responded. I received two great transcriptions of Cannon and the Bridal Chorus. Now, I have some work cut out for me. I think I can nail it in time. Thanks again!

Archived