Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VH1 Rock Honors

Anyone watch them last night? VH1 was honoring Kiss, Queen, Judas Preist, and Def Leppard. It was really good. The collaborations and covers were very tasteful and well done. All the bands put on good shows too, even Queen with Paul Rodgers, who I dont particularly care for. Getting to see Brian May and Slash play made it well worth watching.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I missed it, but my brother said that it was really good. It will surely be on about 6 or 7 times a day for the next month or two, so I will catch it soon. I'm kinda looking forward to it after hearing yours and my brothers thumbs up on it.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I had no idea there was even such thing as VH1 Rock Honors but I'm gonna watch it!!!

Here's the future airngs found from Yahoo! TV

Future Airings:

VH1 Rock Honors, VH1 Jun 04 12:00am

VH1 Rock Honors, VH1 Jun 04 01:00pm

VH1 Rock Honors, VH1CL Jun 05 08:00pm

VH1 Rock Honors, VH1CL Jun 05 11:00pm

VH1 Rock Honors, VH1CL Jun 06 09:00pm

VH1 Rock Honors, VH1CL Jun 08 05:00pm

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Originally posted by guitarisawayoflife21:

Anyone watch them last night? VH1 was honoring Kiss, Queen, Judas Preist, and Def Leppard. It was really good. The collaborations and covers were very tasteful and well done. All the bands put on good shows too, even Queen with Paul Rodgers, who I dont particularly care for. Getting to see Brian May and Slash play made it well worth watching.

WOW! You are the very FIRST musician that I've ever known that does not like Paul Rogers? You mean you didn't like his work with any of the groups he sang with? not even with Bad Company?

Most definitely. Free, Bad Co, The Firm, Queen, etc...Come on, it doesn't get any better. He has played with some of the best musicians in rock. He also has a pretty awesome guitar collection and actually plays quite a bit more than you think. I've seen a live video that is fairly recent (last 4-5 years) of Bad Co on VH1 Classic that is bad ass!! Paul Rodgers ROCKS no matter who is backing him and whoever backs him is another matter of ROCKING all together!! :thu:

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

If you can't wait for a rebroadcast of the VH1 Rock Honors show, you can go to the VH1.COM site and click into the VSPOT section to watch the performances. If you have a broadband connection and nothing to do for the next 30 minutes I suggest you watch it! Enlarge the screen to the FULL SCREEN mode and turn up the volume! The picture and sound quality are pretty good.

My $.02 on Paul Rodgers... I've always liked his work and IMHO does a good job fronting Queen. Heck, those Bad Company songs from the 70s are part of the soundtrack of my life as a kid!!!

Originally posted by rw2003:

I had no idea there was even such thing as VH1 Rock Honors but I'm gonna watch it!!!

It's the first one. I'm sure they will have them every year now.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by ellwood:

WOW! You are the very FIRST musician that I've ever known that does not like Paul Rogers? You mean you didn't like his work with any of the groups he sang with? not even with Bad Company?

OH NO! I :love: love :love: Paul Rogers with Bad Company and with Free! I was talking about Paul Rogers with Queen. I think he tries to sing too much like Freddie and not enough like himself. It just seems to me like hes trying to hard. It's probably the fact its such big shoes to fill. His singing with Queen just dosent sit right with me, I dont know why.

I watched that VH1 Honors show too. I thought it was quite good. I am not a big Kiss fan, but I did like the song "God of Thunder" back in the day. I was glad the other artists covered that tune. Slash and Brian May sounded good and I thought Rob Zombie sang it well. I am confused about Ace Frehley??? He played, without make-up with the other artists when they did "God of Thunder" so who was the "Ace Frehley" who played with make-up with the original members of Kiss when they played two Kiss songs?

I wasn't impressed with Paul Rogers either in this case. Has he always been the replacement singer? I thought I heard someone else fronting for them a year or two ago that seemed to fit the Queen sound better.

KISS: I'd heard that Ace left numerous years ago. Was it after their non-makeup years? Can't recall who the replacement artist is. I'm on dial up so I can't research this.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by caprae:

KISS: I'd heard that Ace left numerous years ago. Was it after their non-makeup years? Can't recall who the replacement artist is. I'm on dial up so I can't research this.

According to the KISS Army web site, the guitarist is TOMMY THAYER. (Eric Singer on drums.)

http://www.kissonline.com/#story-1

I watched the whole show last night and thought it was great! It was cool watching the tributes as well as the original rockers. Brian May can play! Regarding Paul Rodgers... is that his own look or is he trying to give a Freddie Mercury appearance on stage???

I really liked the Godsmack medley of Judas Priest songs - although I swear I heard two guitars playing as they opened. Liked the Kiss stuff at the end. The all-star tribute was cool too... Tommy Lee on drums, Rob Zombie singing, Slash/Gilby Clarke on guitars along with Ace and the Anthrax guy on bass.

Interesting that this is the first Rock Honors show and they choose to only go back to the mid70s and 80s for the bands to pay tribute to. Didn't (hard) rock start a bit earlier, say in the late 60's. I guess the target VH1 demographic is the 30/40+year old crowd.

... and the Anthrax guy on bass.

Scott Ian Rosenfeld ;)

Although he's a rhythm player, professionally.

:wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by guitarisawayoflife21:

Originally posted by ellwood:

OH NO! I :love: love :love: Paul Rogers with Bad Company and with Free! I was talking about Paul Rogers with Queen. I think he tries to sing too much like Freddie and not enough like himself. It just seems to me like hes trying to hard. It's probably the fact its such big shoes to fill. His singing with Queen just dosent sit right with me, I dont know why.
Having gone out and seen Queen + Paul Rodgers I must say I disagree.. I don't think he's trying too hard to be Freddie at all, and did a great job.

Originally posted by BiC:

... and the Anthrax guy on bass.

Scott Ian Rosenfeld ;)

Although he's a rhythm player, professionally.

:wave:

Thanks for telling me who he is! For some reason I can't remember his name. I know he's guitarist and found it interesting that he was on bass. He's also on that VH1 show Supergroup... playing rhythm to Nugent's lead!

Originally posted by HardTail:

Bad Company ROCKED! IMHO, Paul Rodgers has the best rock and roll voice EVER!

Great avatar. I never thought of getting out the bootcamp book for a scan.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived