Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do players of other instruments get GAS?

A String

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keyboard players suffer as well. There's even a subset of GAS that afflicts those of us who play Hammond, HAS and LAS (I think you can guess what the H and L stand for :D ) It's really bad when you are a multi-instrumentalist, as you end up with all kinds of noisemakers cluttering the house!

My last HAS attack was when I found an M-102 lying forlornly on its back along the road in someone's trash....

Todd in Beerbratistan

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Are you joking??

Of course they have GAS. Keyboard players in particular. Not only did they used to have a variety of hardware keyboards, controllers and racks of sounds/synth capabilities, sequencers, arpeggiators and more, but now there are tons of software synths making keyboard players drool.

That's not even considering piano players, who though they may not buy more than a piano and maybe a keyboard, still drool like us at beautiful new instruments. ;)

Certainly other musicians have GAS. They just don't act on it, as a group, quite as quickly as we guitarists do. For one thing, we have more relatively inexpensive instruments and toys to buy than any other instrument.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

My dad (who recently passed away) had about 30 violins, several violas, 5 or 6 cellos, a string bass, assorted woodwind and brass instruments, a piano, an organ, even a couple of guitars!

Most of them were just donated to a school in his name.

I hope they reserved a cello for me like I asked! But if they didn't, I can't complain - Dad gave me several good instruments over the years - including a beautiful old Precision bass.

And drove me to guitar lessons in my early years, for which I repaid him by bringing rock guitarist friends to the house to drive him up the wall and out the door with the volume!

When I asked him which of his instruments was his favorite, he said, "I like ALL of them!" Sort of like how he liked all his kids....

OH YES!! Keyboard players are crazy GAS junkies!! I can't even begin to tell ya how many keyboard changes my keyboard player has gone through! and REALLY expensive stuff makes our guitar GAS seem like chump change! I gotta say that horn players don't seem to have it too bad once they settle on a specific horn..but usually they KEEP their instruments forever. Oh and DRUMMERS are crazy too! ending up with all kinds of foot peddles and cimbals and mixed sets gezzz yeah they all have fun.

Your kidding me about keyboard players right stringo? I know a couple that have rooms full of the bloody things, gadgets to go with them... and even synth guitars (yuuuuuck).

I think its easier for us as Guitars tend to be in greater variety and much cheaper than some other kit.. I dont just GAS for guitars though... I want just about anything with strings :) Hell it doesnt even have to have strings... If you can play it I would happily give it a go..

PS please somebody donate me a double bass, it will be well loved... In fact I will happily have it sleep next to me every night, make it breakfast every morning and take it for walks twice daily.

It was really meant as a, tongue in cheek, type thing. I thought it would make for some interesting posts. Reminiscing about all of the crap your keyboard player friends had owned, and at the same time, make us guitar players feel better.

I knew a keyboard player that had every toy under the sun. He even had the sequencer that would play his keyboard for him so he didn't have to. :D

I would say most players of musical instruments suffer GAS, keyboard no exception, a very good friend of mine is collecting more keyboard gear (modules etc...) than me!!!! thats not right:D

The only ones who dont really suffer this i feel are singers, every so often a new monitor or mic thats it !!!!!

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by A String:

It was really meant as a, tongue in cheek, type thing. I thought it would make for some interesting posts. Reminiscing about all of the crap your keyboard player friends had owned, and at the same time, make us guitar players feel better.

I knew a keyboard player that had every toy under the sun. He even had the sequencer that would play his keyboard for him so he didn't have to. :D

lol Yeah one of the guys i know loads up his samples that he's gathered over the years entitled things like "peice of hose being swung round head in garden" gets his 4 synths rigged up to his pro studio mixer and truck sized monitors (oh yeah and his 1000watt yamaha?? amp) records the different bits he wants going on, on his 4 synths onto a floppy disk in his main korg triton then basically plays the floppy and only has to do some drones and crap over the top. He's also one of those guys that says "oooo look at this" and gets out a mint condition box with a midi sequencer from about 1986 and then makes me listen to the stuff he did through it back in the day. "Oh yes it sounds dated now but back then it was an awesome feat" I think the geekyness came because he worked with Rick Wakeman for years... so he was surrounded by some pretty good (albiet longwinded) synth playing.

I guess thats also the difference between guitaro's and synth freaks... Not that much changes in the guitar world.. you dont put on a hendrix cd and go "Oooo that tone sounds a bit dated" so the keyboard guys HAVE to keep buying new stuff to keep up with the muso biz.

I spent some time hanging out in brass forums and discovered, much to my surprise, that there's guys out there with closets full of trumpets.

That really spins me out, it's not as if they look any different or you're going to get a very different sound out of each one.

So yeah... GAS is universal.

Ive never really delved into brass instruments before... I guess because everybody who played them at school usually got beaten up on band practice day... I honestly have no idea why...

Is there really no difference between brass instruments of the same type? Does price and quality make much difference? Sorry to go OT but my fiance is thinking about taking up the Sax and niether her or I have a clue when it comes to metal things you blow through.

Originally posted by lee83:

Is there really no difference between brass instruments of the same type? Does price and quality make much difference?

Oh, there's a BIG difference. I have one of those cheap Indian trumpets (the 10 euro special off eBay) and when you blow through it, it's completely DEAD. It's like an amp with no reverb.

Better quality trumpets, on the other hand, really ring out and you can feel the metal vibrating very gently in your hand. The Indian's valves aren't very well made and they don't really let all the air go through when you close them. The valves are there to channel the air into different length tubes which change the overall length of the trumpet and give you different sounds (a bit like blowing into bottles with different amounts of water in them). So if they don't open and close properly, that's a real bugger of a problem.

So yeah, different quality brass instruments DO sound different but, from what I can gather, they're all trying to reproduce an "ideal" trumpet sound. It's not like the difference between an SG and a Strat where the sounds are intentionally different.

Still, that's GAS for you.

With a studio...I have steady, wide range GAS attacks all the time. :D

If it's not guitars...it's mics...if not mics...it's pres...if not pres...it's limiters...etc...etc...etc.

While I do play keys...other than the vintage Hammond L-103 that I picked up last year...I haven't had keyboard GAS in quite some time.though I have been thinking about a nice digital console pianoas the acoustic I have in the studio is just a real PITA to keep in tuneI get a few sessions out of it, and then it starts to go out (for recording purposes, anyway).

But I do have this thing about drums/percussion! :eek:

I'm always checking out Zildjian cymbals to add to my studio kit...Im partial to the small A series and K series :cool:

and not being a real drummer, I've spent way more money on my studio kit than most drummers would!

Man...I think I look at, and look for, audio/music gear EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE WEEK!

I'm always scouring eBay or the online music stores for good deals...and there's always something I need in the studio. I start every morning with a cup of coffee and hit the forumsand then I hit eBay to see if something new was listed that I can grab. :thu:

I need helpI really need help :(;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

With a studio...I have steady, wide range GAS attacks all the time. :D

If it's not guitars...it's mics...if not mics...it's pres...if not pres...it's limiters...etc...etc...etc.

While I do play keys...other than the vintage Hammond L-103 that I picked up last year...I haven't had keyboard GAS in quite some time.though I have been thinking about a nice digital console pianoas the acoustic I have in the studio is just a real PITA to keep in tuneI get a few sessions out of it, and then it starts to go out (for recording purposes, anyway).

But I do have this thing about drums/percussion! :eek:

I'm always checking out Zildjian cymbals to add to my studio kit...Im partial to the small A series and K series :cool:

and not being a real drummer, I've spent way more money on my studio kit than most drummers would!

Man...I think I look at, and look for, audio/music gear EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE WEEK!

I'm always scouring eBay or the online music stores for good deals...and there's always something I need in the studio. I start every morning with a cup of coffee and hit the forumsand then I hit eBay to see if something new was listed that I can grab. :thu:

I need helpI really need help :(;)

MIRO! you got a multi-gear GAS wammie on ya!! :D

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

The studio adventure becomes just insane. It is unbelieveable how fast the desires take over.

Yup, I've got the studio bug myself. The bonus is, I get to combine two of my GAS inflictions into one big package. (Computer and music.) Now, if I can work the "Home Theatre" in there somewhere, I'm all set.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

The studio adventure becomes just insane. It is unbelieveable how fast the desires take over.

Yup, I've got the studio bug myself. The bonus is, I get to combine two of my GAS inflictions into one big package. (Computer and music.) Now, if I can work the "Home Theatre" in there somewhere, I'm all set.
Have you looked at the Sony Vegas software? It combines a DAW with video production software! You could score your own movies and burn them to DVD! :idea:

Brophy is an Irish name. The pronunciation is 'Bro-fee' it rhymes with trophy. (I only add that because I get all sorts of broP-hee and Bra-fee.

a string is your family originaly from ireland then, :thu:
"The Bridge Above The River Is Only The Begining Of Your Fall"

My Great-Grandfather was. His First name (And my Grandfather's second name) was Patrick. They have also been carrying a family name for many generations. "Conor". I'm not sure of the origin, but it has crept up through my family tree many times as a middle or first name. My father said it was an important family name. (His middle name is Conor.) There have been discussions that the original version of my families name may have been O'Brophy.

I know my family tree on my Mother's side as far back as you can expect. But I don't know much at all about my father's side.

Here is a family crest my Great-Grandfather passed along to us:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/twocaraboos/Brophy.jpg

You don't have any knowledge of the family name or know anything about the significance of the things in the crest, do you?

Archived