Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

strat pickups

Marso

Hi, I know that someone probably asked this before but I can't find the info I need right now. Here is my question: I'm am looking to replace the pickups on a Strat that is sounds too skinny to my taste. What would be a good choice? And, is there a noiseless pickup that would do the trick? My Kinman's avn blues are too thin with this Strat. Fralin? Fender? What else?

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm absolutely in love with my Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's...lot's of full bodied "snap"! I actually played my old Strat with standard American pups on it the other day...nowhere near as thick sounding, almost sterile in comparison, and I had to turn the volume up considerably. Not sure how'd they compare to those Kinmans though. Playing pretty clean through a Blues Junior. Hope that helps.
www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Carvin makes some pretty fine pickups. I have some of their single coils in my Strat and love them. To me they have that "full bodied snap". And of course since they are Carvin, they are alot cheaper than most others for just as good or better quality.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=SS60NRB&CID=PU

These are the ones that I have, I got them about 15 years ago, and wouldn't think of changing them.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

I have owned and compared lots of single coil Strat pickups, and my favorite "rock/heavy blues" set is the Fender TexMex pickups. They even sounded fatter than the SRV's Texas Specials in the same guitar.

My Strat is configured -

bridge - DiMarzio Super Distortion

middle - Fender TexMex

neck - Fender TexMex

The middle pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity so positions two and four are noiseless, and the price is much cheaper as well.

Take a look at these. I think it says he designed the new silent single coil for Fender. His pickups with the Q-Filter are supposed to give you all kinds of sounds. (Not to be confused with Bill Lawrence USA).

Bill Lawrence

If I ever get a strat style guitar, these are what I'll use.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Thank you all for the info. :thu: Yes it could also be the guitar itself not just the pickups. It's a deluxe model originally loaded with Lace sensors (red/silver/blue). Back then the guitar sounded even thinner and fuzzy. It's a nice strat with a perfect neck (maple) with satin silver locking tuners and floyd/fender bridge. I use med gauge (10-46). I have other strats (the strat 1980 and a Warmoth copy) both equiped with Seymour duncans alnico and they're a lot fuller. Especially the 1980 The Strat. I will read all of this info carefully and will let you all know. Thank you again.

check out some of the stuff from the guy who runs Guitar Fetish Pickups - I bought his original version of his Lil' Killers pickups and like them (dropped in the neck and middle position of a Peavey Predator Plus). His new version is supposed to be even better ! They're available in three different outputs depending on the type of tone and position you're after.
"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Archived