Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Timeless Records

BiC

What's that one record or records that sound as fresh today as they did yesteryear. The one(s) you never tire of listening to.

To begin with, for me they are:

"Back In Black"

&

"Master Of Puppets"

Heck, I'll even throw in Ratt's "Out Of The Cellar"! :thu:

Peace :cool:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BiC:

What's that one record or records that sound as fresh today as they did yesteryear. The one(s) you never tire of listening to.

I think there's a diff between what I, personally, never tire of and what actually sounds fresh as it did yesteryear.

For example, I'm currently listening to Free's live album. Over and over and I've loved that album since I was about 15 or something. On it, there's a song called Mr. Big that helped convince me to take up the bass. So it's a pretty important album for me. It actually had a hand in changing my life.

But in this decade where "fresh" is taken to mean "Nu Metal", I can't really say Free sounds "fresh". Or maybe it does. Never tiring of something means losing a certain objectivity.

I think it's all in the ear of the beholder. There are some Funk/Jazz/Classical albums that, seem to never really age. Because those styles of music are ageless.

When you get into Classic Rock, Metal etc, you start to lose the agelessness.

To me, a lot of classic rock seems just as fresh now, as it did in the seventies. But if you really want to test it's timelessness, play a few songs for a "Hip Hop Rapper" kid. I'm sure he'll call it "Dinosaur" music.

Classic rock has become nothing more then a novelty to the younger generation they way fifties music was to mine.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go sit in a corner and cry...

"Classic rock has become nothing more then a novelty to the younger generation they way fifties music was to mine.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go sit in a corner and cry..."

Don't cry too soon buddy, the good news is that Classic Rock still stands up well and the proof of it is it's the style that cops all the good paying gigs. Hay Dinosaur's have the cash these days!!

:eek::D:thu:

Coming at this from a differnt angle, while I am not a huge fan, I would say most of Mellencamp's albums beginning in the late eighties were recorded, mixed and used instrumentation in such a way that they would sound "timeless." They didn't use any synths and effects were used very sparingly in the mix. You won't find any gated reverb or DX7 anywhere on these records! :D

I think when Scarecrow came out I read an article where Mellencamp talked about what they were trying to do. I think they succeeded.

Now, as far as albums I listen to over and over without getting tired of them, many do sound dated (I'm thinking, Marshall Crenshaw, Nick Lowe, Beatles, Sade, etc....) I like all of these even though each has the sonic stamp of its particular era. :)

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by A String:

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

FunkJazz has a classical album? ;):D

That's exactly what I thought after I wrote that line. :D
Actually. it's pretty classic Gypsy Jazz. Everyone I play it for wants a copy. :thu::thu::thu:

As far as timeless, I still get a blast out of the Allmans Fillmore!!!!!

Lynn G

I'm not sure about what is meant by "timeless".

The other day I heard Roy Acuff for the first time and it really grabbed me because it was all so raw and powerful and all that.

So in a way, it IS pretty timeless, it was like finding an unopened bottle of wonderful, mature wine floating in the surf.

But is it "today" or "now" music? Probably not.

So what do you guys mean by "timeless"?

I second London Calling, Back In Black, Master Of Puppets and 1984. Also Appetite For Destruction(GnR), Paranoid(Sabbath), Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables(Dead Kennedys), L.A. Woman(The Doors), A Momentary Lapse Of Reason(Floyd), and Permanant Waves(Rush). Anything by Queen also.

Led Zeppelin I, II, and Physical Graffiti.

I second "Back in Black", VHI, and VH "Fair Warning".

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

My 2 cents would be the first 2 Roxy Music albums,done in '71 and '72. These have not been out of my rotation since I discovered them in 1987. Raw, rough but wonderful. Pure fun! The first 4 solo albums that Brian Eno did just after leaving Roxy in '72 are as fresh and interesting as the first time I heard them in '86-'87. Pure genius! Plus, Robert Fripp lends some awesome guitar, especially on "Another Green World". Thanks for reading, sorry for rambling.

Archived