Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Gear Pic

Hardtail

I am a Jimi fan but I didn't get the white Strat because of him.

Actually, I got it after watching David Gilmour last fall on a PBS special showcasing Fender Strat guitar players. I thought his looked really cool.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why the hard tail?: I hate whammy bars. My username here gives a good indication of that.

Why do I hate them? For one thing, keeping your guitar in tune and well intonated is a pain in the ass. The whole locking nut thing turns me off too.

To complicate the tuning/intonation matters, the standard wang bars on Strats plain suck. If the Hard Tail Strat hadn't been available, I would have gotten a regular one and had it blocked.

Another reason: basically, those who use them overuse them. There's nothing I hated worse than going to a club and seeing a guitar player of the band with his wang bar showing. Most of the time that told me that when this cat had nothing to say on the guitar during a solo, he was going to grab his wanger every time.

I grew up in the time when Eddie Van Halen ruled the world. After he came around, every little twanger on the block was playing with his wanger.

I digress for a second: There are a few pros out there who do a great job at it. We all know who they are so I'm not going to waste time naming them (I already named the king).

Lastly.... admittedly, I was never really any good at incorporating it into my own music. I would "overuse" my wanger. So, now I don't touch it anymore. :D

Up until now, my reasons have been subjective but they do form a basis as to why I got the hard tail.

Sustain? I'm not a Strat expert but I wouldn't say that the hard tail has better sustain. It sustains/decays like any other Strat I've heard. What I do get that's different though is a fuller tone. I'm not talking a "Les Paul" type "full"... I'm talking about the omission of the big hole in the back and the wang gizmos really accentuates the Strat sound better (IMHO). Wood makes the tone and I have a little more of it in my Strat than other Strats.

The maple neck adds a little more brightness to that full, hardtail Strat sound. A few months ago, I really couldn't tell the tone differences between a rosewood necked Strat and a maple necked one but my ears have since gotten better at distinguishing them.

LPCustom is thinking about getting one so I want to throw down a soundclip for him in the immediate future. When I do that, I'll let you know so you can hear the sound for yourself.

I know I've thrown some opininated info out there but that's just the way I think about the wangers. I'm not going to get into a debate with the wang kings here. If you want to use it, cool. It takes different folks to make the world go around.

Your perfectly entitled to your opinion mate :) I see where your coming from also... It can get a bit much for guitar wanking guitarists to not try and use every gadget on their guitar at the same time :D But I was sure it would offer added sustain over say a floating trem, maybe not be the case for the standard strat trem system.

Ive never really been able to tell rosewood over maple either, I just prefer rosewood under my fingers... But i've never played a rosewood fretboard for a while then a maple one straight after to compare... Or even recorded anything on a maple one. I'd be interested to hear some clips of that guitar definately!!! Just because it flat out looks cool and im hoping it has the tone to go with it :D

If I had been traditionally a Strat type player, perhaps I'd notice more if mine had more sustain than other regular Strats.

However, I'm traditionally a Les Paul player. No guitar in the world has more natural sustain than a LP. Because my ears are used to that LP saturated sustain, I probably miss it in the differents Strats.

Now a guy like LPCustom would be able to tell you in a heartbeat if there's more or less sustain. If he ends up getting one, I'm sure he'd let us know.

This may sound a bit strange :D but I have never ever played a LP.... wierd eh.. I should try one out I guess. But in the guitar stores there would always be say 30% of the guitars on the wall would be LP's 30% would be SG's 30% would be Strats and 10% would be wierd looking things... I'd always go for the wierd ones and stray away from the common shapes which is not exactly practical when you're looking to buy a guitar as it cuts out some cool sounding guitars... But hey.. fleh.. I like to be different. Actually the last couple of times in the guitar store i've gone straight for the Banjo's :)

From what I can ascertain about the opinions here on Les Pauls, you either love them or you don't.

I'll say this: If I ever acquire as many guitars as ellwood and my house burns down, burning all my guitars, a Les Paul will be the first guitar that I'll go out and get.

Originally posted by HardTail:

From what I can ascertain about the opinions here on Les Pauls, you either love them or you don't.

I'll say this: If I ever acquire as many guitars as ellwood and my house burns down, burning all my guitars, a Les Paul will be the first guitar that I'll go out and get.

I AGREE, if that happened I would have two, one LP and one Strat, basic working tools.

Archived