Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got myself a new amp :)

PeeMonkey

Just found the best deal I have ever gotten on Musical gear. I picked up a 5150 Half Stack today for only $500. So I got both the Head and the 4x12 Cabinet for that price and they are both working fine. However the tubes inside are some generic thing and im thinking of replacing them. Ill try to put up pictures when I get my digital camera.

I have one thing that is bugging me though. The previous owner had spray painted a band logo on the left side of both the head and the cabinet in white. The tolex on the head and cabinet also has basic wear and tear. Is there anyway I can re-tolex it? Or at least get rid of that spray painted thing on the side.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy screamin' deal, batman! :thu::thu: I bought my 5150 head for $600 and thought I got a bargin... I hope you dig yours as much as I have mine - I love that rhythym channel growl.

I'm sure there are others (Myles and the gang) better able to direct you tube-wise but I retubed mine with Groove Tubes Mullard reissues (GT-12AX7-M) in the preamp section and 6L6-B's in the power section when I got it and it sounds great.

Go that way really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn.

i 4 1 like previously owned spray paint on amps and cabs...

it shows a history and keeps 'jive alive'.

also album and song titles have been known to come from this source.

2 each his own :)

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I would start with naptha (light fluid) or mineral spirits first, just as ellwood suggested earlier. Not sure if paint thinner would be advisable, it may ruin the tolex beyond repair. Good luck.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Originally posted by PeeMonkey:

I picked up a 5150 Half Stack today for only $500. So I got both the Head and the 4x12 Cabinet for that price and they are both working fine.

That is an awesome deal :eek::thu: . Good luck re-tubing and don't let that paint bother you too much: Rock On!!!

Originally posted by ellwood:

You might try a mixture of Turps and mineral oil but I think with soaking you can do the job with mineral spirits, yes paint thinner might destroy the Tolex or at least take the grain away.

Alright, thanks alot

I'll give it a try in a few days. Hopefully it can get rid of it, but lately the spray hasnt been bugging me that much since its sprayed on the sides and I barely see it.

Good job man, that is a STEAL!! Don't worry about how it looks. Worry about playing your guitar TONS through it.

I have heard some guitarists use 5150's live and get killer distorted tones.

I always bitch about them because I wish EVH used a Marshall. I mean 5150 is fine for EVERYONE else except EVH, in my silly little world. Keep in mind the Marshall costs ALOT more.

It really doesn't matter either, you got a deal.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by PeeMonkey:

its sprayed on the sides and I barely see it.

Well, if you can't really see it... have you considered painting over the writing? It's black tolex, right?
Hmm.. What I meant by I barely see it is, that it is painted on the sides and I usually just see the amp from a front view, you have to look to the sides to see the sprays. Here are some really bad pictures of it :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/PeeMonkey/Jackson%20Soloist/IMG_2360.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/PeeMonkey/Jackson%20Soloist/IMG_2359.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/PeeMonkey/Jackson%20Soloist/IMG_2356.jpg

O Yea, at the moment its at my apartment, and the cabinet wouldnt fit in my civic, so right now the head is just hooked up to my Mesa Studio .22+ speaker and the hotplate :thu:

Archived