Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neck relief - is too much bad for the guitar?

AeroG33k

when putting on new strings aftr a fairly recent setup I could not stop the rattling on the top frets on the bottom strings and quickly noticed the nut slots had carved in too deep, possibly while I was pulling the strings out (thru-body). I'm not 'home' over summer and not anywhere near my trusted guitar shop/repair guy and many luthiers here seemed overpriced so I went to a cheaper general music store with a less experienced, but competent looking guy to look at the nut. He said he couldn't get me a new nut, but he filled the slots and recarved them and did a quick set-up...however, I also noticed the neck is bowed much more than it was before, after the excellent set-up I got at home (where the guy said the neck was bowed too much initially). Now it feels almost worse than it was before that set-up. I can't say that I mind, as the rattle has entirely stopped and the action is where I want it (maybe a bit high in the middle though), but is that bad for the guitar? It looks sort of unhealthy.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might want to bring it back straighter an fraction of a turn at a time. Bring it back until it just starts buzzing, then back it off just a hair.

I posted a page to that shows how to set up a guitar this past week. Do a search for it. You might not get it perfect, but you'll get it close until you can get it back to your tech.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

You should set the relief as straight as you can get away with, without unlivable fret-buzz.

"He said he couldn't get me a new nut, but he filled the slots and recarved them and did a quick set-up"... Bull$4!t. He didn't want to have to cut and shape a new one from scratch (lots of otherwise excellent guitar repairers/luthiers are intimidated by this; I've never done it myself- yet). It's seemingly as much an art as a science, if you follow me, and not everybody feels comfortable with the task.

Anyways, as long as he did a good enough job on those nut-slots, you should be able to dial-in less relief. It probably won't hurt your guitar to have it on the high side, but too much can actually lose you some sustain and tone if the neck begins behaving like an acoustic bow (think archery). Most Fender-styled axes, for example, sound their best with as little relief and straight a neck as possible; while Gibsony single-cutaway (or non-cutaway) guitars have shorter, stiffer necks and can get away with more relief without this happening...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'd definately back it off as well. If the only way to get rid of the buzz is too much bow, I'd see a quality luthier as soon as I could. New necks cost too much.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Thanks for the advice, I wont have time for it as I'm going to be on vacation for two weeks starting tomorrow, as long as you asure me it's going to be fine for those two weeks, I'll be fine. I'll get a new nut as soon as I get back to my university at the beginning of the new semester.

Caevan, basically what he meant when he said he 'couldn't' was exactly that. None in stock, and he said he doesn't have too much experience with replacing the nut and didn't want to risk anything. I was about to pack up my guitar and look for someone else, but he said he'd 'do what he can' along with an entire setup - all I'd pay for was the new stringsg, which was an excellent deal, I mean, I get playable guitar and otherwise great set-up and the worse that could happen is I could still go to someone else with fresh strings. The fills are also very good for now...maybe while I'm at it, I'd upgrade to the buzz feiten system. I thought it was overpriced, but since Im getting a new nut anyway...?

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Archived