Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie Songs

Big Malky

Hi all,

I'm getting an electric guitar in a few days and once I get a hang of chords and such, I'd like to know what would be the best starter songs to train myself on.

I'm a big metal fan and want to know if anyone can suggest some songs (hopefully 3 progressing in difficulty (on a beginner level lol)).

Cheers for anything you can suggest in advance.

Big Malky

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how old you are and what your preference in metal is. But here goes some of my favorite "easy" songs to learn (at least the chord changes)

Start with the main riff from Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water. Its played using a variation on a power chord. You play the two middle strings and can get away with using your index finger to fret the chord changes.

The next step is too learn how to play a "real" power chord. The following songs will let you play using only power chords..

You Really Got Me - the Kinks or Van Halen for a "metal" version.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Iron Man - Black Sabbath

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Perfect. I like most metal but Sabbath and Deep Purple should be cool to learn. I know the melodies well, now all I have to do is learn how to play lol.

Thanks for the info mate.

Oh aye, I'm 27 and mostly into things like Metallica, Pantera and Disturbed. :)

'Walk' by Pantera's not that difficult. Cowboys from Hell will give you more trouble.

Master of Puppets isn't very hard either. Try some of the riff off of Kill 'Em All; they're mostly power-chord stuff. Long as you can pick up tremolo picking you'll be on your way.

And most Disturbed stuff isn't too hard (at least off of their first two CDs). You will have to get into 'Dropped D' tuning though; it is simply detuning your low E down a whole step to play root-5th-octaves with one finger.

Hope that helps :)

Originally posted by Starcaster:

Master of Puppets isn't very hard either.

:eek: You must have been a fast learner! :D

Some pretty easy Metallica stuff is:

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Seek-n-Destroy

Am I Evil

Those are some of the slower ones which will help to build your rhythm and speed.

A few more easy ones:

You've Got Another Thing Coming (Judas Priest)

Living After Midnight (Judas Priest)

Breaking The Law (Judas Priest)

Rock You Like A Hurricane (Scorpions)

God Bless :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

IT's like this... (just the riffs)

First Tune: Nothing Else Matters, Metallica

Second Tune: Seasons In The Abyss, Slayer

Third Tune: Territory, Sepultura

These songs are progressivly more difficult 1st->3rd, but they each contin some pretty tricky parts. Great learning material if you just try to jam out as many of the riffs as you can handle. Excellent Metal learning material.

(Don't attempt Pantera unless you have your bends down. People will tell you they have easy songs like Walk, but the subtleties required to play his songs make them not worthwile material for beginners IMO.)

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Again thanks for the feedback... just waitin for the guitar to come in the post now.

Good tunes Xplorer, I might mix n match a bit with all the songs listed so far. Adamant I'm goin to get Smoke on the Water down to start with lol

Easy tunes for noobs?

When I was 18 (1 year after I started) I was doing the rhythm parts for

Iron Maiden - "Revelations"

Metallica - "Enter Sandman" - although the F# fingering is a bit tricky...

Kiss - "The Oath" (off Music From The Elder - the only album they did that ever really interested me)

Lots of songs out there that are very straightforward power chord riffs that you can pick up. Might I suggest "A.I.D.S." by M.O.D. for a great moldy oldie that you can learn fast. Sure to be a big hit in the gay bars! :D

Nice choice. Got my guitar yesterday and practising the power chords. Had a mess about and I can play a bit of Ironman... very... very slowly lol.

Thanks all for the input, I'll let you know how I'm progressin' in the near future.

Many, many thanks,

Big Malky

Originally posted by Big Malky:

Nice choice. Got my guitar yesterday and practising the power chords. Had a mess about and I can play a bit of Ironman... very... very slowly lol.

Thanks all for the input, I'll let you know how I'm progressin' in the near future.

Many, many thanks,

Big Malky

Good to hear! Now, just be sure to overcome those sore fingers until you develop callouses. :cool:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Welcome Big Malky, which if I am not mistaken is a Scottish nickname?

Well the boys have laid you out a lot of rock classics so I wont add anymore but good to see another Scot on the forum.

Aw ra best

The Big G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Congrats on the new guitar. You really should know how to play.. CRAZY TRAIN

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Heheh thanks for the encouragement all. My fingers are holdin up so far... no Strat or Les Paul though, just a Behringer V-Tone because my son is practisin too and he ain't gettin his hands on anythin expensive he can waste lol.

Crazy Train will be on my list eventually too, love anythin Sabbath or Ozzy :)

Big G... Aye that I am, Scottish through n through even down to not spillin a drop of alcohol even when shoulder barged in a pub.

Many thanks,

Malky

Archived