Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ottawa jams

Bluesape

Now that I'm here, I gota find local venues. The Rainbow on Murray is one of the premier rooms in Canada. Smallish, but lotsa great players frequent it. Tuesday nights, Saturday and Sunday afternoons are , I think, open jams. I'll be there this aft. Been there the last couple Tuesdays - needs more people, but a great room!
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rainbow is a mighty fine place to catch a show (that upper level can get really hot in the summer, though). Irene's in the Glebe also hosts an acoustic jam on Wednesday and a blues jam Thursday at 9 p.m., and Le Petit Chicago has one on Monday. You might want to check out the Ottawa Blues, Jazz & Swing Guide . It looks horrid, but does provide useful info.

Unfortunately, if you want a Canadian NHL hockey team worth rooting for, you'll have to move to Edmonton ... :wave:

Thanks, guys. I caught the jam at the Rainbow this aft, and there's another tomorrow aft - a bit turned down for my tastes, but oh, well. :D

Decent crowd at the Rainbow for the Sunday aft jam - good band, lotsa players. I was able to get up early and was well received. It's great to play for appreciative people, and this seems to be a hard core blues crowd. Gotta love it! :D

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/reifspano/gorilla16.jpg

Originally posted by ellwood:

I just wonder if they would let this old Blues dude from the Motor City take the Rainbow stage? I would need APE Protection, I have no doubt of THAT!! :D

Wear your Red Wings sweater there.

Is this where you're going to be staying for a while (as in live & work) or are you just exploring?

Since you're in the relative area you should likely check out the Black Sheep Inn across the way. It seemingly hosts all sorts of musical fare from what my CBC ears tell me. Bandwidth airs quite a few live shows from there. I've only been there with my ears so I need to check it out.

Ottawa... it's getting better.

People don't run across the river every night like they once did.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

Is this where you're going to be staying for a while (as in live & work) or are you just exploring?

Since you're in the relative area you should likely check out the Black Sheep Inn across the way. It seemingly hosts all sorts of musical fare from what my CBC ears tell me. Bandwidth airs quite a few live shows from there. I've only been there with my ears so I need to check it out.

Ottawa... it's getting better.

People don't run across the river every night like they once did.

The Black Sheep Inn is indeed excellent - they actually organize their own stage at the annual Bluesfest too, where the acts are frequently of very high calibre; lots of stuff with a world music flavour.

The folks in Gatineau changed the bar hours and cracked down on most of the nightclub craziness, and Ottawa did the same so now there's no crazy 1 a.m. rush.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Wow - looks like a cool club, but I gather it's over an hour away.

It's taken me a hour to get off the Don Valley Parking Lot :eek:

Walk... on all fours if you must :D

Why are you in the nation's capital my friend?

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived