Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Scofield

Tone Taster

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well... I think this HAS to be the worst tone EVER, I mean, the guy really has to TRY to get anything sound this bad, you can't sound bas like this by accident

and trying to play decent blues with tone like that, is like trying to win a formula 1 race with a Lada Niva:...

I know it's "jazz blues" but why that should be an excuse for bad tone (AND being boring after 15 seconds) is beyond me - somebody give him a Robben Ford CD, please - or make him listen to his fellow guitarist in

video.
- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

My most humble and honest opinion is that many a modern jazz/fusion guitar player's tone just downright SUCKS.

I really enjoy Sco's playing, though.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by MILLO:

My most humble and honest opinion is that many a modern jazz/fusion guitar player's tone just downright SUCKS.

I am with you here Millo. Another thing is the synth sounds and how they date a recording. I love all the Return to Forever stuff, Jan Hammer, Herbie etc etc but I just cannot listen to those synth tones for long. Too bad the stuff was not just all on a Rhodes or B3. Those sounds I can handle forever,

McGlaughlin...my favorite guitarist......Mahavishnu tones.....uh uh.

I know Henderson and Ford, and you're most CERTAINLY right. Don't know the other two, but believe you.

I know Landau is a huge session player. Any solo cd's you recommend?

And I'm certainly NOT a fan of Mike Stern's or Pat Metheny's tones.

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by MILLO:

I know Henderson and Ford, and you're most CERTAINLY right. Don't know the other two, but believe you.

I know Landau is a huge session player. Any solo cd's you recommend?

And I'm certainly NOT a fan of Mike Stern's or Pat Metheny's tone's.

Just about any of Landau's CD's are good.

Robben Ford - check Talk To Your Daughter.

Ultimate in Fusion-Blues

I actually have Talk to Your Daughter on the computer, as well as his first Blue Line cd (I think the one that comes right after "Daughter"). I like his Blue Line tone better (Daughter sounds too saturated, to me), but I love his playing on both albums. Awesome playing, he's one of my favorite electric players right now--and I don't even like his "taste" production-wise... way too "smooth-jazz-mellowed-down-R&B" for me.

My MySpace Space

Archived