Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp recommendations

johnxi

Hi all

I have been using a Line 6 FlextoneII combo for about 5 years and have recently bought a POD XT Live to upgrade. It sounds fantastic plugged into headphones or my computer for recording, but I need an amp to take it for live gigs. Anyone got any suggestions? My budget is in the £1000 range, but I'd like to get something for less. I've heard some people say I should get a PA amp and a 4x12 cab, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

John

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, it's the 2x12 flextoneII - nice amp, just thought it was time for an upgrade. As far as plugging into that, I'm doing it at the moment. It seems a bit of a waste of the technology though and I suspect a good quality one channel amp would probably do a better job for me. One of the options I've thought of is plugging straight in and using a powered monitor for stage sound. The main problem with that is that the band I'm playing with is touring small venues and we still occasionally show up places where I have to play just off my amp.

Ok John.. I see you are it LEEDS (as in the WHO.live at LEEDS!!) .. ok but you still can go through a channel on the PA can't you? and are you guys doing stage monitoring of instrument mix as well as vocal mix? if instrument mix you will just hear the XT comming back through the monitor, or am I getting the wrong idea of your set up there?

I think you've got the wrong idea - we go out to venues which are small but provide the PA. Most of the time it would be fine, I could plug straight in on a channel and use a stage monitor. The problem is that occasionally we show up somewhere and they have a four channel desk and 2 leads and just a couple of cheap 10" speakers on poles. We send out a ech spec with a minimum PA requirement but we still get the odd one who completely ignores it. Anyway, as a result, plugging straight in is not an option because of the desk size and would probably result in a crap sound anyway, so I'm inclined to get a guitar amp to make sure I'm covered in these situations.

Right got ya now! yeah a small board like that is a pain in the rear! Ok well I guess you need a very clean single channel amp with allot of good head room being that the XT does all the preamp and effects duties. I always liked the Fender twin for that clean kind of sound, although again your 2x12 Flextone can do clean pretty well too. I use a Marshall DSL JCM 2000 with the 1960A bottom for my stage amp and a 1962 Fender Pro Amp with extension cabinet for my blues stuff and the Flextone like you have as a back up sometimes. Maybe an 4x12 Marshall cab with a good clean PA head like a Crown would be great with the XT, you need someting that is neutral and uncolored a base line type amp/hifi

Doh I just posted all this on a duplicate post, then saw everyone had answered here.

I am still testing things out myself on this. I bought a Roland KC-150 and its ok at best. Iv'e only used it in a band situation once and found it lacking somewhat. It just lacks character. I have used the Roland at some informal quiet jams and its sounds good enough to play some fun music, but still isn't sounding as good as through headphones. One big hint is anything you plug into should have 2 inputs, even if its not stereo for some reason it sounds better using both channels out of the POD XT LIve.

I have also tried it through all my different amps and my PA. Nothing there worked to well either. Through my guitar amplifiers it sounds to muddy, through the keyboard amp it sounds to sterile.

I have recently tried playing through my Fender Blues Deville and the Keyboard amp together. It sounds really good at low volumes in my apartment, but I haven't had a chance to test it in a band situation. The keyboard amp adds the clarity and the tube amp adds the character, plus a stereo sound is always going to sound fuller.

I would like to get my hands on an Atomic amp, they just aren't available to just try out. I would like to try out a tube power amp and speakers, but am not gonna spend a grand or more just to test it. If I got into a steady gig situation again, I would probably buy a Vetta and hope I could get it to sound as good as the XT Live. I really wish Line 6 would make an amp for people that already have Pods. Almost everyone struggles to get a good live sound to some degree.

Archived