Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Home Recordists: Part II

janalon

Been off the forum for a long while - trying to finishin up grad school. In taking a break from exams and such, I finally DL'ed a recording program (MixCraft), and with a desktop mic into a Dell laptop, recorded a few songs. This project was more of a focus on procecss than product; definetly a learning experience on what sounds good and what doesn't. You can give it a listen, but it's nothing spectacular. Check out http://www.myspace.com/postgraduateautomotivemaze

This experience leads me to a few questions about software, mics, and such. I have my fingers crossed that my wife will land a job that will afford us to purchase a Mac laptop this fall - therefore I don't want to invest in a PC program. I liked the ease of Mixcraft for recording, especially when my only other experience was with the overly complex Adobe Audition (which I was rather dissapointed with). Is Audacity along the lines of Mixcraft's sheer ease?

Secondly, the desktop mic is cheap and convenient, but I am loosing major frequencies from the acoustics. I hear more of the string attack than a bell-like ring. I know condenser mic is the way to go. What could you recomend on a teacher's salary? I know the $ky is the limit, but what will get me a decent sound at a decent price?

Other than the obvious guitar setup, are there other purchases, such as a DI box, that would be essential for a multi-track recording, lets say perhaps if I want to record singing and guitar at the same time?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jan, glad to see ya again! Neil suggested this mike to me and I bought one! it is so great and so easy to use with this laptop! take a look here.. http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAMC01U

The C01U USB Studio Condenser Mic is the first affordable studio condenser mic with a direct USB output.

For the first time ever, musicians who record music on computers have a simple, affordable way to capture high-quality vocal and acoustic instrument performances. Seamless integration was the idea, and it was obtained by creating a studio condenser microphone that can be plugged into any computer with no in/out boxes, no expensive computer pre-amps, just a USB cable.

The C01U condenser microphone is based on Samson's wildly successful C01. It features a 19mm internal shock mounted diaphragm with a cardioid pick up pattern ensuring pristine studio quality recordings.

The C01U works perfectly on any computer, Mac or PC, and with any DAW software program. It immediately solves a huge problem for users of many laptops, many of which have no other input method for audio devices.

Features:

Industrys first affordable USB studio condenser mic

Plugs in directly to any computer with a USB input

Cardioid pickup pattern

Large 19mm diaphragm

Heavy gauge mesh grill

Smooth, flat frequency response

USB connection cable included

Technical Description

The Samson C01U works without the SoftPre applet software using the standard drivers included in your computer's operating system.

If you would like the added functionality of the Samson SoftPre you can download the application from the Samson website.

Samson SoftPre applet adds,

Input Level Meter

Volume control

High-pass filter

and Phase Switch

Nothing to add, as I'm in mostly the same bucket of studio-lack-ness that you are, but

This method of recording fits right in with the tones that classical guitarists end up putting out. I've got Segovia and Williams, and both their tones sound like they stood down the street from the mike. It sounds natural, though.

And,

Tillet Hall's melody sits very well with the harmony.

The chord progression on L'Espirit D'escalier combined with the far-away melody really would sit well on a Disney soundtrack :) That's not to say it's a negative statement; it does create a mood.

Sigh Alone sounds different from the other two; it does create "heaviness" without resorting to distortion, and evolves well.

That's all :)

Originally posted by Griffinator:

My suggestion would be to pop on over to the Project Studio forum and get some answers from the guys that started out in much the same way you are now. I'd offer some advice, having also started out that way, but I went PC and never looked back.

Izzzat a old Peavey Renown in you Avatar? maybe 70's vintage??

Actually no, it's just a garden variety Stereo Chorus 212. That's my Lead I, though, and it sounds good even on that cruddy little amp.

I used to have a Deuce VT, but the transistors went completely to poo on it, and I didn't feel like going through the trouble of overhauling it.

Archived