Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peter Greens Les Paul

57pbass

I saw this at the Philly Guitar Show this past weekend. It was on display with a second Les Paul belonging to Gary Moore. Very Nice and very expensive.

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/36/F1/58043446-7c1b-017F0200-.jpg

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/65/03/58044005-86f4-017F0200-.jpg

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/81/FB/58043777-794c-017F0200-.jpg

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/34/F1/58043444-a0b1-0200017F-.jpg

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, is that Peter Green's old '59 Les Paul, that Gary Moore has owned for decades? For sale, or just on display?

Or, is it an artificially "aged" and detailed replica of that axe?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by hamburglar:

if its insured in the high seven figures you should be able to handle it all you want too... :rolleyes:

If I had a guitar insured for seven figures it'd be the first thing I dropped down the stairs :D

Naaa, Neil; I only took the time for most of the first pic to load here...

Originally posted by lee83:

Originally posted by hamburglar:

if its insured in the high seven figures you should be able to handle it all you want too... :rolleyes:

If I had a guitar insured for seven figures it'd be the first thing I dropped down the stairs :D
...unless it was that guitar, I hope!!

Seriously, you can probably count on one hand the number of guitars with similar historical significance. I mean, Peter Green/Bluesbreakers/Fleetwood-Mac Mk1 AND Gary Moore/Thin Lizzy/solo-metal/solo-blues... ??!!

You realize this guitar, if it is the Peter Green/Gary Moore owned instrument, is oft considered the best example of a vintage, 1959 Les Paul although part of the mystique, purportedly, is the reversed neck p'up, right?

Add to that the potential songs it was played on by those guys and it's one of the most revered instruments of the modern age.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

it's one of the most revered instruments of the modern age.

Definitely. I'd also include Jimmie Hendrix's white strat, Eric Clapton's "Blackie" strat, SRV's #1 axe, Jimmy Page's double neck SG, and Paul McCartney's violin bass. Sure there are others, too.

Originally posted by 57pbass:

I saw this at the Philly Guitar Show this past weekend. It was on display with a second Les Paul belonging to Gary Moore. Very Nice and very expensive.

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/36/F1/58043446-7c1b-017F0200-.jpg

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/65/03/58044005-86f4-017F0200-.jpg

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/81/FB/58043777-794c-017F0200-.jpg

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/34/F1/58043444-a0b1-0200017F-.jpg

I think I remember seeing this at this year's Dallas Guitar Festival. I can't be sure, though, as there were so many cool guitars I went into sensory overload!
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

Originally posted by thanny XIII:

Whatever, Losers. I have seven of them in my basement, collecting dust.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:thu:

Originally posted by Steve Dyba:

it's one of the most revered instruments of the modern age.

Definitely. I'd also include Jimmie Hendrix's white strat, Eric Clapton's "Blackie" strat, SRV's #1 axe, Jimmy Page's double neck SG, and Paul McCartney's violin bass. Sure there are others, too.
Blackie and "Whitey" are both on display at the Experience Music Project in Seattle.

Gary Moore.

He also loaned it to Gibson so they could examine it for a Custom Shop reissue.

That's an interesting fact. I will admit, Gibson has been putting out a decent product recently. Looks like they've been doing better R&D. Fell in love with a new CS336 the other day, beautiful guitar.

Even a standard goldtop w/ P90s sounded great. The progress they've made in the last few years is pretty notable. One can only hope it just continues to get better without prices soaring any higher.

So far Johan Gustavsson is putting out what I believe to be one of the best '59 style production guitars, but there are a few other builders getting pretty close. I'm working with one luthier right now who is extremely talented and is showing much potential for the future. We'll see how that all unfolds in the end.

Some of you may know this, but here's a bit of info I personally find interesting and useful to know.

We have tons of talent here in the US regarding specific trades, especially involving luthiery. The toughest part of becoming a full-time luthier is getting started. A good amount of financial support is needed to start up and income is almost always very low, atleast in the beginning anyways. There are so many luthiers in our country that making a name for yourself becomes a very hard task in itself, all adding up in terms of time and money. This is generally true for anyone starting a business, but especially true for trades. Anyways, we often hear about great European companies rather quickly. Not to say that they don't work for their spots, as that is definitely not true, but in most cases their governments have actually provided for them to start up and get going at a faster rate. Many of these European countries offer government grants for individuals showing talent and potential in a specific trade. Ergo, a builder in Europe has a better chance of successfully establishing his business. Don't get me wrong, this is not a statement against our (the USA's)current system at all, it's just information as to why some of these international companies are starting to blow up rather quickly.

I personally would always love to support our country and it's economy by giving my dollars to fellow American businesses, however, I will always go for the better product, whether it be American-made or not. Sometimes I just wish we could utilize all the talent here in the states so we all could potentially "go for the better product" while still buying here in the US. Unfortunately, "built in the USA" is not necessarily synonomous with "a superior item" anymore.

Just a bit of fact and opinion mixed in.

Thanks for humoring my rant haha-

Sam Tuliebitz

6th String Music

www.6thstringmusic.com

Originally posted by 6thstringmusic:

Gary Moore.

That's an interesting fact. I will admit, Gibson has been putting out a decent product recently. Looks like they've been doing better R&D. Fell in love with a new CS336 the other day, beautiful guitar.

Even a standard goldtop w/ P90s sounded great. The progress they've made in the last few years is pretty notable. One can only hope it just continues to get better without prices soaring any higher...

What?!? You liked a CS336?!?!? You damn sure ought to have liked it, coming from the Custom Shop and all. ;):D

I agree.. they're doing good work, although the prices still seem a bit steep to me.

I wonder when Gary sold the instrument. It was my understanding he still owned it 5 years ago when he loaned it to Gibson.. but that was 5 years ago. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by 6thstringmusic:

Gary Moore.

Even a standard goldtop w/ P90s sounded great. The progress they've made in the last few years is pretty notable. One can only hope it just continues to get better without prices soaring any higher...

What?!? You liked a CS336?!?!? You damn sure ought to have liked it, coming from the Custom Shop and all. ;):D

I agree.. they're doing good work, although the prices still seem a bit steep to me.

I wonder when Gary sold the instrument. It was my understanding he still owned it 5 years ago when he loaned it to Gibson.. but that was 5 years ago. ;)

OH YEAH!!! http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Custom-CS336-i96783.music?affil=chrisb

Oh yeah- definitely way overpriced for what they are. Luckily I have connections all over the music industry :D . If I didn't have an opportunity to get Gibson CS instruments with a significant discount, I'd go with Heritage. They're still handmaking it the old fashioned way, putting their quality right up with the Gibson Custom Shop items, and generally at half the price. I would like to try out a Prospect but I honestly don't find it as good looking...

Sam Tuliebitz

6th String Music

www.6thstringmusic.com

Archived