Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My cameo/debut!!!

blitzkrieg bop

So my wife and friend/keyboard player went to see Lisa Winter, a singer/songwriter at a local coffee shop in Fairport on Saturday. She's the one I mentioned in an earlier thread who let me play her Taylor after her performance last time we saw her. Well, She coaxed and coaxed to get me up there to play on her break, and of course my friend the key player was egging on as well. So I got up the nerve and sat up there when she went on break and she handed me her new Taylor T5 (not the same one she had last time). There was roughly about 12-15 people in there, including two workers. I started strumming away. I completely blank on what to play so I played some original stuff that I've been working on (didn't sing though, I'm not that brave, yet). I played three songs and after each one got claps from the crowd!! Overheard Lisa say to my wife that she liked how I played, and overall felt pretty darn comfortable playing up there (it's been about 7 years since I've played out in front of strangers, and I've only done it twice before). Actually, I felt and played pretty well, but my right leg was driving me nuts! It was involuntarily trembling and I couldn't get it in a good position :-) but, no one noticed.

I am hooked with the bug now and must do again! The next day Key player and I got together at his house and worked on a mix of covers and originals arranged to play in a coffee shop setting. A few more rehearsals and I think we'll be hitting the coffee houses!

One fella was kind enough to tell me he really liked what he heard, and that he comes from a musically family and used to play sax himself. Talked with him for a bit. Then two other couples complemented me when they were walking out! What a great feeling!!!

Good luck to Lisa as she is heading to Nashville Wednesday to submit some of her songs and try her hand at the live scene down there!

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" my right leg was driving me nuts! It was involuntarily trembling and I couldn't get it in a good position :-) but, no one noticed."

Good for you!! it's just the best isn't it! one of the very best feelings in the world, don't let the jitters bother you ever, remember it also puts you on top of the game, it's all good! Keep up the good work. A great that you are getting involved in live stage work and the best of luck to your friend too!!!

That's definitely a good thing to hear about. And extra brownie points for the fact that you were playing solo - you didn't even have the "safety in numbers" advantage of playing in a group.

Just think if you woulda chickened and declined to go up there.

Now that woulda sucked!

Seems to me that playing for large groups of people isn't necessarily any more difficult than playing for 12-15.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

Seems to me that playing for large groups of people isn't necessarily any more difficult than playing for 12-15.

Actually, I think it's easier. :)

I've always found it a lot tougher to play to 2 or 3 people than to 60. When you've got a crowd it's like you're the band, they're the crowd and everyone knows where they are. I don't notice them watching or anything.

OTOH, when you're playing to 2-3 people, you're all pretty much on the same level, but one of you has a guitar. You become much more aware of their every gesture and look. I get really self conscious in front of small groups.

Hey, that's great! Glad you had a good time onstage like that. Congratulations! And kudos to Lisa Winter for being so cool and friendly, too! :cool:

When ya goin' back, with a set-list? :thu:

That whole coffee-house kinda scene can be pretty cool, it's like everybody's on the same team, everybody is there because they love music and enjoy stuff that's off the beaten path and not the same old commercially overblown hype.

I used to do a little volunteer help with a little local coffee-house where I used to live, I became their de-facto soundguy because everyone but me was intimidated by their little Toa powered-mixer. I met a lot of great people there, many of whom were quite talented, some of them genuinely gifted. I even played some myself, instrumental stuff in an impromptu guitar-duet a couple of times. I got to meet and do sound for Ani Difranco that way (what a great night that was!).

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by blitzkrieg bop:

but my right leg was driving me nuts! It was involuntarily trembling and I couldn't get it in a good position :-) but, no one noticed.

It's trying to tell you to buy it a wah wah pedal!

Congrats on stepping up to the plate. Next one will be out of the park!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Hey, great for you! :thu:

Glad to hear about someone stretching out their boundaries. That's always a good thing, and better when you enjoy it. ;)

BTW - Any chance you know how I can reach Lisa Winter? I'm in Nashville and know a lot of players, engineers, etc. I might be able to help her find avenues to explore with her music.

If you can say how to reach her, PM me.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, the next big hurdle will be singing in front of people, something that I never thought I would do, but now feel the utter necessity to. It's realy the thing that is holding me back from getting out there faster. My key player friend is giving me encouragment and thinks I sing fine, but that I need to belt it out more, sometimes I hold back and sound too "airy" (a term my wife coined).

When ya goin' back, with a set-list? [Thumb]
Hopefully soon, I may even hit up an open jam one of these days. As to a set list, here's a list of songs we worked on the other day with arrangments for vocal, guitar and keys:

-Sloop John B (Beach Boys)

-Mamma Mia (Abba)

-One Love (bob marley)

-Ob-la-di Ob-la-da (beatles)

-How can a poor man stand these times and live (Blind Alfred Reed? Springsteen style arrangment)

-Little Red Riding Hood (Sam the sham and the pharoahs)

there are some other covers we want to include such as:

-Stand by me (Ben E Lee)

-Do it Again (Beach Boys)

-SoS (Abba)

-Dear Prudence (Beatles)

and others that we feel would be fun.

In addition we'll mix our originals in there, I have a few ready with words, and a whole bunch that don't have words yet. Once they do, they will be played!

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

Archived