Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anyone have a better voice than Doug Pinnick?

JipThePeople

With all the discussion about King's X possibly calling it quits, I thought I would pose this simple question: Does anyone have a better voice than Doug Pinnick? Very subjective, yes, but the only other vocalist I might consider his peer would be Glenn Hughes. In fact, if voice cloning ever gets available I would opt for Pinnick's voice. He has such a smooth voice, can pull off R&B, gospel, soul, rock, and still screams with the best of them. Keep your chin up Doug, who knows what the future holds for the world's greatest singer.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug who?

Seriously, you really can't compare who is the best vocalist- just as you can't compare the best guitarist. It's all a personal opinion.

A better question would be: who is best at WHAT they do- including range, versatility, style, and presentation.

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Originally posted by A String:

Originally posted by GuitarPlayerSoCal:

How about.....?

http://www.nndb.com/people/876/000084624/rjdio03.jpg

Ronnie James Dio?
Si.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

It is subjective of course.

A string, you would love King's X. Do yourself a favor and get Gretchen Goes to Nebraska and Dogman. Seriously dude. I wouldn't say it unless I believed 100% you would love them. I think they are one of the greats of all time and that Doug Pinnick is truly one of the best rock singers ever. Not every song is great, some of them bug me, but mostly they rock.

My favorite singers are:

Doug Pinnick

KD Lang

Dave Grohl

Jeff Buckley

Joe Satrioni (just kiddin)

Layne Staley

Joe Walsh (i know he kind of sux but he has style)

Dave Lee Roth

Waylon Jennings

Junior Brown

The guy from Mars Volta

Geddy Lee (when he could do the witch screams)

Singers amaze me. I am not that great. I try really hard. I am improving, but I will never be lead quality (at least a GOOD lead). It is alot harder than it sounds, at least for me.

You can get awesome at singing but if you don't have a nice tone timbre to your voice being a lead singer is out of the equation.

If I could recommend some songs for download

Out of the Silent Planet

The World around Me

Over My head

Don't Care

Fool You

The Difference

Summerland

Black the sky (god I hate the ending, tho it is a killer riff and song)

Shoes

Complain

We were born to be loved

The Ooh song

Manic Depression (nice jimi tribute)

Faraway

Don't Believe It

Black Flag

Lost in Germany

Pleides (ty sings lead)

I would be happy to send you any of those so you can czech them out.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Paul Rodgers

A+

Don't discount Tommy Shaw, just because of some of the syrupy stuff he's done- the guy has pipes, and can play too! I could go on and on- Steve Perry, James Dewar, any of the Doobie Bros. Ian Gillan, Joe Lynn Turner, on and on-so forth and so forth.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

If I could recommend some songs for download

Out of the Silent Planet

The World around Me

Over My head

Don't Care

Fool You

The Difference

Summerland

Black the sky (god I hate the ending, tho it is a killer riff and song)

Shoes

Complain

We were born to be loved

The Ooh song

Manic Depression (nice jimi tribute)

Faraway

Don't Believe It

Black Flag

Lost in Germany

Pleides (ty sings lead)

I would be happy to send you any of those so you can czech them out.

I checked out several of those songs. It kind of reminds me of Creed and that whole style.

They sound really good but I'm not sure that they are my cup of tea.

But hey, now my wife really likes them. :D

The World around Me, Shoes, Complain, Manic Depression, Dogman and Don't Believe It.

Don't get me wrong. Their guitar sound reminded me of the guitar on "Higher" by Creed. I think that's the only song by Creed I've heard so I probably shouldn't have compared them.

They are a fantastic band, I'm just more into the classic rock, blues sound. As I mentioned though, my wife really likes the band and she says to say thanks for recommending them.

True story...

Ronnie James Dio's son is a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. When I was an instructor at the NWS Training Center, he was in one of my classes.

It's a small world after all...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Creed? You have to be kidding!!

Anyways, just curious what songs did you check out?

Wow!Creed :confused:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Yeah, I'm kinda getting the "foot in mouth" feeling in regards to the Creed thing. One of the songs I listened to, reminded me of the guitar sound in a Creed song.

I didn't mean any offence. As I stated, the band rocks, just not my thing. I can still appreciate the bands talent.

I'll second the Gretchen Goes to Nebraska recommendation. I don't think Kings X sound like what little of Creed that I've heard. Both bands traded on some Christian imagery, and have a big guitar sound, but that's about it.

That said, I can't say Pinnick really stands out for me as a vocalist - then again, I've always liked more "interesting" vocalists like Mike Patton. I also recently bought a Terry Reid comp (the first guy Jimmy Page asked to sing for Led Zep), the aptly titled "Superlungs" - now that's a great vocalist! :thu:

Well, everyone likes something a bit different I guess.

No problem A string, I just think Creed stinks and that the singer is horrible.

King's X is a hard band to define or sum up. They have alot of music. I do think thier 3 part harmonies are what set them apart from the bands like Creed that are out there.

I will also say that sometimes thier stuff takes time to absorb. Some of their coolest stuff like 'Shoes' is hard to comprehend immediatly. You almost have to know the band to give it a chance. But that middle section where it breaks down and the harmonies kick in, gives me goosebumps.

The bottom line is- singers write and sing songs that make them sound good, or fits in with their bands sound. For instance: could you imagine anyone else singing "Enter Sandman" than James Hetfield? anyone else but Robert Plant singing "Whole lotta love"? or anyone else but John Lennon singing "Imagine"? anyone else but Ozzy singing "Crazy Train"?and pulling it off? Singers write songs to fit their style.

Thats why I say this whole topic is an unanswerable question.

OK let me say, I haven't heard much Creed either. I guess it isn't right to rip on them like that. I just assume from the songs on the radio that they aren't that cool.

There was a spoof song on the morning show called 'my mouths not open' It was a song where the singer immitates that guy and thats the chorus. He just sounds too much like he is copying layne staley or eddie vedder to me.

My band all worshipped King's X in the beginning and now. Me and Mus especially tried to make it like King's X. I mean nobody knows who they are, so it would sound original..

But trying to copy those guys is tough, they are too good. They can sing and play some crazy shit. Live they sound bigger than most 5 piece bands.

Archived