Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: YouTube.

Gruupi

I have recently become addicted to that website. So many great live performances that I didn't know anyone would be able to let me see. My question is how long before they get sued out of existance? They are basicly like the Napster of video. I imagine almost all the musical performances are copywrited or bootlegged, so how can these legally be broadcast? YouTube is enabling all this stuff to be distributed, even though I don't think you can save the material, there should be some royalties do to the artists/ publishers. Whats everyone elses take on this? For my part, I am watching as much as I can while its up, as I am seeing some artists I never got to see live and plenty of great performances which I think will go away shortly as soon as some smart lawyer or corporation goes after them.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You Tube is great. You should also check out GOOGLE Video http://video.google.com/

I guess the big difference is that the video files are "streamed" instead of merely copied to your hard disk. But I agree, sooner or later the folks that own the content will start complaining that its being distributed for free.

Let's enjoy it while it lasts!

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

I looove You tube, I'm not sure about the lagality issue bacause someone has to either own or have pirated the video to put it on there. So basically you tubes about as legal as pirating haha We'll se until then I'll just enjoy the Movie traiters and people hurting themselves.
I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser the Third Dont hesitate to call

Spiral Light: I use VideoDownloader. You can do a search for it off of firefoxextensions. You still need a special player for the type of encoding YouTube files use but you can save and watch off the old hard drive with it :)

Originally posted by Starcaster:

I've been experimenting with saving some of them via a Firefox plugin. I don't know what to do if it becomes illegal though :/

Star, I got the extension but when I hit the Save As deal all I got was code. This is on a Mac. Any idea how to capture the actual video file?

I don't know how you guys get the time for the videos. Between work, kids, family, yard, house, guitar, a couple forum posts, I'm wacked and it's time for bed. :cry:

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Fumblyfingers: sometimes you have to add the extension of the file yourself. I believe they are .flv files; so once you do that, and you get the .flv player, you're set :D It's not really the greatest system, but it works in the end. I think there might be better extensions for it, but I haven't tried many others.

Originally posted by Bbachish:

I don't know how you guys get the time for the videos. Between work, kids, family, yard, house, guitar, a couple forum posts, I'm wacked and it's time for bed. :cry:

I am running on about 5 hrs sleep a night. I usually work a 12 hr day at work. We have a newborn in the house which is making stuff a little more challenging right now.....uuh for the next 2 years or so.

It's all good though. I am tired a lot.

ADD I guess.

Archived