Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kings X

Darklava

KING'S X Frontman DOUG PINNICK Addresses Breakup Rumors - May 22, 2006

KING'S X frontman Doug Pinnick has issued the following statement in response to rumors that the band were on the verge of breaking up:

"I wish I could set down and answer all the questions, and speculations. I will try to make light of some of the things said and suggested. You guys are wonderful so please dont take anything I say as negative or bitching... There's no anger here... just love.

"Here goes... We never fit in; no matter what we do, we can't get the masses on board, and we've done everything there is. I know you all have suggestions of what we could do do get more successful, but we have done everything there is to do! Or at least inquired about it all... We just can't get the folks on board. Woodstock '94 we played for 300 thousand people, and the next week on SoundScan we sold about 200 CDs. Then the week later nothing to comment on.... The rest of the bands on the bill JACKYL, SHERYL CROW, LIVE, CANDLEBOX, etc. sold millions!!! We got the best slot of the day, and USA Today, Howard Stern, MTV said we were the best band that day! We sold nothing... and it changed my life. I cut my hair and almost gave up! Plus I was going through midlife crisis. I started getting panic attacks and got blinded by my self-hate. 'Ear Candy' was the result.

"Management? We have had people check us out and they say were doing a better job by ourselves than they could after they see what we have to go through to get a gig and keep the boat afloat. Others say we're precieved as an old band and they feel they can't help us.

"Record companies? We tried to give Atlantic a done CD with nothing to do but throw it out there. They passed, saying they are only interested in new young bands. ALL other companies rejected us except Metal Blade and InsideOut. Thank the gods for that...

"Booking agent? They say they can't get many promoters to bring us; they all think they will lose money...

"DEEP PURPLE? were trying to get on that tour, and anyother oportunity we can... but we have to pay to play, it's all political That's the way all bands are treated now, they all pay, Ozzfest... The record companies pay to get all the bands on the tour. We don't have the $$. We opened for many bands in the past to no avail. A few new converts, but not enough...

"Paul Shaffer [of the 'Late Show with David Letterman'] plays 'Born to be Loved' all the time... but to get to play live on the 'Letterman' show? Practically impossible.

"I wish you all could understand how impossible the situation is these days for many bands. It sucks! The rejection to KING'S X is overwhelming in the music marketplace. You can imagine how it makes us feel.

"Christian music scene?? Yeah, we could have been maybe the biggest band in Christian music, but we're not hypocrites, and when the Christians find out that we drink, smoke weed and I am gay, they would turn on us anyway, so why go there? That just hurts. Besides that, they rejected us anyway after they learned who we were. They're human, they hide it. We're not like that, we're too honest. That's why I am down on Christian music. In the name of truth they live lies. That's never been me, or KING'S X. It's one of our biggest faults. The Christian music scene was a dead end for us no matter what had happened in our career. I am agnostic now anyway. We just couldn't justify being a Christian band. It just wasn't the truth. I was raised Christian and have seen the Christian music scene first-hand. I can't be a part of it and I couldn't back then either... and we're still called a Christian band to this day. It wasn't kosher back then either. I remember so many people saying that they couldnt get their friends to listen to KING'S X 'cause we were Christian, even though STRYPER were successful. Now it's accepted being a Christian band, but we're not one of those bands. What's done is done and it's the past...

"Downhill career? 'Manic Moonlight' was a good CD; I don't care what anyone says... I put my heart in that CD and wrote some songs that I am proud of. There was some wasted space on it, but isn't that the way most CDs are? We really did our best with what we had and who we were at the time. This band started out downhill, now we're in a hole. We couldn't get the $ for a producer for years, so we did it ourselves; at least we tried. Then we paid for Michael Wagener out of our own pockets, and finished the CD paying for it ourselves. We are really trying to do the right things, but all we get are walls. There's only so much we can do without money, record company support and attendance. We have maybe sold a million CDs combined from day one! That's not many in the real world. And Atlantic put millions into promoting us. More than most we have had the oportunity for exposure and we got it.

"I know some of you think there's things we should be doing, but trust me, we have tried or checked out all the possibities, it's just not as easy as you may think. We need all-ages shows, and it's almost impossible to get them. That's just fact. It sucks playing at such late times when people have to go to work or drive hours to attend. We always ask for early shows and all ages, it just dosent happen. Bands that are successful without airplay or much promotion? It's a mystery. We're doing what they did and here we are. We're going home from this tour broke. I get no $ when I am off tour, I have to fend for myself. That's life, I guess. Same as everyone else, I wish it wasn't so...

"25 years of doing this with KING'S X... Wven in the early days before the record deal, we couldn't get good attendance doing covers when the other bands we competed with packed the clubs... It's always been this way, we just don't appeal to the masses. Maybe if we had about 10 million to promote us??? But there's no guarantee. We're precieved as an old band in the marketplace that is well respected but not a moneymaker. Bands try to take us out with them but their management always reject us. We may not tour for a while because of all of this...we can't.

"We have made mistakes, for sure, in our career, but we have realy tried to do the right things. We're not the same people as we were when we started this band, and we always try to do our best and make the best music we can. Sometimes it didn't seem like it was the best effort at the time, but if you were there, you would understand.

"We are so thankful for the support from the faithful. We wouldn't be here if it wasnt for all of you people. The band is really down these days, frustrated, and out of money and ideas that will work. We're not young upcoming wide-eyed kids anymore, and this music biz is obsessed with youth. The whole U.S. is this way, just look around.

"It's not over untill the fat lady sings, they say... Well, she's at the mic

"I have had a wonderful adventure being in this band and being me. I have been blessed more than most. I take nothing for granted. We could go on and on about what we should do and what we haven't, but at the end of the day, we have done the best that we could with what is before us.

"We're not done, we're not breaking up We're still hoping to be the biggest band in the world, and I have many more songs in my head and on demos to throw out there for you guys good or bad, you can decide. I will make music as long as I can breathe.

"I have questioned my whole life and this band's place in the world. It's still a mystery to me. This band I have invested 25 years of my life to... and I think about my place in this more than anyone could possibly know or understand... and still don't know why no one realy gives a feck on a major scale. And people wonder why I have low self-esteem. I am one of the biggest losers that there is, and I don't know why. No one in KING'S X knows why it hasn't happened for us... but I will keep doing what I do because I know nothing else and I love making music.

"Thanks for letting me ramble. Thanks for hearing me out. And like I said before, without you guys I probably wouldn't be alive. Thanks for saving my life. I love you all. Keep the faith. It's not taken for granted."

Found this on HC sad sad sad such a great band too

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, very compelling and real. People always wonder why I have resigned myself to the instruction field. This way, I can finance my own CD, and give it to my friends free of charge. I want to record a CD because i want to and for no other reason.

What is sad about it is that it is reality.

The labels are run by corporations that do not give a shit about artistic integrity or art at all for that matter. All they care about is a hit single...and another, and another. If there is only one on the album so be it. They don't care about that or about the people they have on their roster, the fact that they are human beings with lives of their own and families.

Bottom line, this is a shit industry. It is all an illusion and there are a lot of puppet masters and illusionists and they all are trying to get one thing....... your money, any way they can.

And what the big labels dictate gets passed down to the managers and promoters who are mostly a bunch of friggen yes men and nobody has any balls anymore. Nobody wants to buck the system.

We are contolled by fear.

It is completely out of hand and it does not seem like we will ever go back to a nicer time.

Yeah they write good stuff, nice tones, good musicians, technically difficult parts sometimes, and have good harmonies. That should almost explain it right there.

Hey half these bozo's in the biz would not understand a good band anyway. It must be the reason Jazz is on the low end of sales. It is too difficult for the average listener to relate to.

I always felt on the Kings X albums I heard that the were almost Beatle-esque in a way. I really like what I have heard. I am going to go check them out at iTunes and buy one or two just to show a little support.

Purchasing Manic Moonlight and Gretchen goes to Nebraska, right now.

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Yeah they write good stuff, nice tones, good musicians, technically difficult parts sometimes, and have good harmonies. That should almost explain it right there.

Hey half these bozo's in the biz would not understand a good band anyway. It must be the reason Jazz is on the low end of sales. It is too difficult for the average listener to relate to.

I always felt on the Kings X albums I heard that the were almost Beatle-esque in a way. I really like what I have heard. I am going to go check them out at iTunes and buy one or two just to show a little support.

Purchasing Manic Moonlight and Gretchen goes to Nebraska, right now.

:cool:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

That just pisses me off and makes me hate the retarded masses.

I have been into King's X since 1989 when Gretchen came out and it totally changed my perspective on rock music. They invented grunge and were doing it before any of those bands were in Seattle. You don't believe me read interviews with Jerry Cantrell and Pearl Jam. They all worshipped King's X and held them above everyone.

It is pathetic that nobody will go out on a limb for them. They look great, they sound amazing, their new album is the best one since Dogman which I might add was a masterpiece for hard rock. Anyone in this forum who loves hard rock in the vein of Alice in Chains, Black Sabbath, the Beatles NEEDS DOGMAN or Gretchen Goes to Nebraska. Both are complete masterpieces of hard rock, with as much style as Rush or Van Halen with killer songwriting, and probably the best singer in rock music today.

It is sad to read this article after I saw them 2 weeks ago and was blown away again. Their fans love them so much and are so loyal. It is sad that nobody will even give them a chance. They are to busy listening to the 'bitches in da hood' BS that people crank up in thier cars to annoy people. Doug Pinnick has as much soul as Stevie Wonder and the grit of Jimi Hendrix. Nobody can deliver a vocal melody like he does.

Do King's X a favor and buy Dogman and Gretchen.

Yup I think most people in the forum who haven't heard them would shit thier pants if they heard the song 'The world Around me'.. That song jams and shows off how unique they are and how they totally created thier own sound. Lost in Germany, the Ooh song. That tour was the best concert I have ever seen. There are no holes in King's X except when Ty Tabor sings lead. I think he is more of a backup guy. I mean especially in a band with Doug Pinnick..

The whole christian image thing killed them in the beginning but I never really thought of them as a Christian band when I listened to them, and personally I could give 2 shits either way. I love Take 6 and they are Christian.. I just knew they weren't a Christian band, cuz how many Christian bands say Fuck a bunch of times in concert and talk about smokin weed?

When they came to Detroit nobody on WRIF even mentioned it. Nobody on any stations did. It is all political BS. Pathetic. The rock stations in this city are silly. They play the same stupid songs over and over. They REALLY believe that is what we want. Who are the assholes giving them this demographic info??

Like if you played 'Outta Love' by Van Halen people would flip the station.. Nope, better play Hot for Teacher 30 times a week cuz everyone loves it even though it came out 22 years ago and they have been running it into the ground ever since..

Thats one of the problems with the computer era. In some ways it has robbed us of our soul. Everything is over analyzed, categorized, documented. Their is no freshness. No argument against a computer.

unfortunate indeed... VH1 has them as one of the 100 most influential hard rock bands.. big artists always have the best to say about them and they are having a hard time making a living? sad indeed...
Eat a Peach for Peace..........

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Like if you played 'Outta Love' by Van Halen people would flip the station.. Nope, better play Hot for Teacher 30 times a week cuz everyone loves it even though it came out 22 years ago and they have been running it into the ground ever since..

I'm surprised. When I went to MI last October, the first thing I did in the rental car from Metro Airport was turn on WRIF. What did I hear? Van Halen's "Romeo Delight". You'll never hear that tune on a NY station.

Okay, I have to chime in here. Last week I bought Gretchen Goes to Nebraska on the recommendation of this board. Musically, it was pretty good - certainly better than a majority of today's popular rock and Pinnick's voice really fits the music.

But... Lyrically, it was horrible. Very predictable and pretty cheesy at times. In my opinion, this is the sole reason the masses haven't picked up on King's X.

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Wow, that is very surprising dude.

That was a fluke really. Trust me, I live here. I almost never hear anything out of the norm. VH has had tons of hits so they play all of them really. Maybe a couple obscure songs every once in a while.

For Zeppelin it is like 9 songs. They usually never step outside that box.

Rush has about 7 songs they play. Aerosmith has alot of old songs they play maybe 5 or 6, then like 4 or 5 new shit songs like Dude looks like a lady (i substitute 'Dude looks like Mike Brady" to be annoying to myself)

Anyways, thats cool that you heard that. I think I have heard that before too. NOt often though.

Well, WRIF has gone to shit then like the rest of them. I grew up listening to it. I've been all over this country and nothing compared to them.

They were probabably acquired by Clear Channel or something like that and went to shit.

http://www.myspace.com/tytabor

This is Ty Tabor's website. It has a new song off thier newest CD called Hurricane.

It is a pretty cool song. They have SOO many different kinds of songs. It is hard to sum them up. I really think they are one of the best bands of all time. Thats why I am disgusted.

I got Gretchen when it came out and was blown away. "Out of the Silent Planet" is an amazing song with outrageous vocal harmonies, as are the rest of the songs on it. Tabor's tone was totally unique and a breath of fresh air. I saw them live around this same time and was really blown away by how incredible they were live. Amazing band, too bad that the general public doesn't get it. They should be/should have been huge.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Archived