Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Ginny's Kiss" and a ??

A McLeod III

Morning Forum :)

I been writing songs..........again. :rolleyes: My Tele, this young lady by the name of Virginia and the fact that Big and Rich along with Cowboy Troy are visiting my area at the new Carolina Crossroads site in Roanoke Rapids, NC; all these things conspired together to create this song called "Ginny's Kiss". It was really refreshing to write and it's just a fun song. I maintain a Soundclick site and they ask you to label your material with some obligatory category. I let a couple of friends listen at the song and one of them says "that's definitely an Alternative Country tune and even moreso because a black guy is performing it". Well as progressive as I try to be, part of me took offense because I just didn't think that color should have had a place in catergorization. To me it should have been "labeled" more on content. What the heck is "Alternative Country" anyway? Labels, labels, labels. Stuff like this creates image/marketing nightmares!

Anyway, if you'd be so kind, take a listen to this little ditty and tell me what you think about it and the above debate. Hell, why can't music just be music, for music sake? Here's the link to the song:

Archie\'s SoundClick Site-Click here and then got to the music link. Click the tune Ginny\'s Kiss :wave:

You guys here always give some very insightful views (and some that are just down right funny) and the input helps yet another inspired, somewhat jaded songwriter/performer. Give a listen......Thanks

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. I wouldn't have said country. I'm thinking "Pop". (If that category still exists! I think I fell out of the loop a few years ago because I can't tell the difference between a lot of the new styles.)

As for the "Because a black guy is preforming it" thing, I think it's silly. There are black country artists and the music they play is considered country.

Anyway, I like the song. It has a great feel to it.

Archie McLeod III, good to see ya here again!

Glad to see things are aparently going well; too bad I can't do any downloading or streaming or anything for a looong while, or I'd gladly check your newly achey-breaky ditty... :thu::D:cool:

(Great song title, by the way.)

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon3.gif It ain't "country" or "Western", it's "McLeod"! :D:cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hi there AM3rd, one of the things that is tough about critiquing a song is it seems to place the reviewer in a position of knowing something. I don't know much about anything at all so don't take anything I say seriously. This is just my opinion.

I like everything you have going on in your song, although to my mind there is too much going on at once. It is too busy. You have a really nice voice and you are masking it and the lyric with all the embellishment stuff.

I also think the tempo is too fast.

So this is a song that has potential to be really good. I would slow it down just a tickle and calm down the backing track and make it support the vocal. The hi-hat and kick are too busy at times.

The keyboard pad sound is a bit dated and the vibes sound a bit like a computer alert chime. I actually thought I had mail coming in while I listened to your song. I would ditch them as they don't add to the song for me.

Make it ALL about the vocal performance, get the backing to be a nice soft bed and let that voice just weave it's way in and out and all around. You've got good pipes man, don't bury them in the mix.

The solo section does not do much to lift the song or change gears for the outro section and it is too long. I really missed a sense of second and third verse.

So my critique is actually very positive and I hope you take it that way. A very nice song when you strip it down, just arranged in a manner that is a bit busy for my ear, and it needs at least one more verse.I would also consider a bridge section that encompasses the guitar solo perhaps.

Again, just my opinion.....good songwriting man.

Think the cat. would be Pop..but once again I think pop and it's those make up bands =(. Song has a nice feel.. keep expecting to hear wind whirling around at the beginning and then slowly go into the song. Vocals are rock solid but once again as FF said, seems to be that the music is trying to over power. Vocals should be right out on top on that one =) Either way two thumbs up =)

I agree with FF that the tempo is too fast. The words get lost at that speed. My first thought was that it sounded like Marc Cohn (Walking in Memphis). Slow it down and it could be much more soulful. Nice song.

:) Thanks everyone for the good suggestions and the thoughtful insights. When I was arranging this in my head, my mind was saying "a Rascal Flatts" type of fast tune. I wanted it to be upbeat, almost quirky, corny, feel good kind of thing. And then the young lady who "gave me the kiss" really reflects the bounce of the song. Now if I can keep the motion without loosing the lyrics, that would really make the song work. Also, after hearing others comment, there are some places where the accompaniment is too thick fundamentally. (There's a rhythmic figure/single note thing with the Tele; open chord stuff with the Strat and the piano chords on the up beat against the guitar.) Does push against the vocal just a bit. Yeaah yeahh, I'm hearing what you guys are saying. There's a background vocal thing I'm hearing as well that I need to add.......

Edits coming and thanks for listening....and the encouragement. :)

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

First, as to the genre, I'd definitely compartmentalize this with 1970's Eric Clapton songs. Everything about the melody/harmony and the instrumentation and style screams of that 1970's, country-inflected rock, as opposed to today's country or even alt-country. Whatever you call it, I like it. ;)

I don't think you have to change anything about the arrangement other than the tempo and focusing on the vocal. You don't have to lose anything to accomplish the latter. Just need a better mix. I agree with others that this would sound better at somewhat slower tempo. Not quite Bruce Hornsby-Mandolin Rain, but split the difference and you've got it, IMHO. ;)

This could be turned into a new country song with the right instrumentation and playing style, but that's something for you to sell the song on, not worry about creating yourself. In the past decade there have been a few cross-over songs that were popular country songs turned R&B as well as pop/rock songs turned country. If you write a good song like this, it can easily be turned into one of several genres in how it's played, what it's played on, and how/by whom it's sung.

With your voice it sounds more pop/rock or pop/r&b than country. Black or white doesn't matter so much as the tone and style of your voice.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Working on adding some background vocals to this-posting that revision up tommorrow............stay tuned

And FS, what instruments would you suggest for getting that "New Country" sound? (Aside from changing the lead singers voice) To tell you the truth, I didn't really hear "myself" singing this song when I wrote it. I could hear a Keith Urban timbre or Gary LeVox (Rascal Flatts). Just so you guys know the direction I was going with the song. :)

Sorry I missed your reply, Archie.

Actually, the more I listen to Ginny's Kiss the more I believe you could use this demo to present it to Rascal Flatts, though I still think it needs to slow down about 5%. (I did a test on Win Media Player and that seemed right.)

I might (and that's a big might) be able to get it to them if you'd like. Or, if you prefer, you can tweak it before passing it on. If you decide to pass it, be sure it's properly copyrighted. Do you belong to ASCAP, BMI or SESAC?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Actually, the more I listen to Ginny's Kiss the more I believe you could use this demo to present it to Rascal Flatts, though I still think it needs to slow down about 5%. (I did a test on Win Media Player and that seemed right.)

I might (and that's a big might) be able to get it to them if you'd like. Or, if you prefer, you can tweak it before passing it on. If you decide to pass it, be sure it's properly copyrighted. Do you belong to ASCAP, BMI or SESAC?

:) Thank you for the offer. Yes, BMI affiliated. Securing a copyright for this (a new song) is not to difficult. I will definitely get back to you shortly.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

:) Thank you for the offer. Yes, BMI affiliated. Securing a copyright for this (a new song) is not to difficult. I will definitely get back to you shortly.

Archived